Very Strong Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drederick Tatum

Reaction score
Ok i threw down two different lagers several weeks ago and whilst not quite finished fermenting before i went on 2 weeks holiday i left them until i got back to keg which meant 4.5 weeks fermenting. The thing is the bloody things are like rocket fuel i added no more dextrose than suggested (1 kilo) yet when drinking you can only have 3 pints before you start to see things a sober person doesn't. Can the extended fermentation period have anything to do with it? I may have to start watering this batch of beer down it is that strong alcohol wise.

Gravity readings would confirm the presence of extra alcohol. Did you take any readings with a hydrometer?

FYI - A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away?) I made a kit + kilo beer which turned out to be very intoxicating. I didn't do anything different to previous or later batches. It didn't taste like it was very alcoholic and should've been around 5% alc, but one bottle would leave you very very merry. Unfortunately I didn't take any gravity readings at that stage so I can't tell how strong it actually was.

Could be from the presence of fusel alcohols... they can be produced at higher fermentation temperatures and have an evident hot alcohol character (which may make your beer taste more alcoholic). These fusels can give headaches and make you feel sick, and generally are not good for you.

If you used the same ingredients and same batch size, there shouldnt be any noticeable difference in alcohol content.

:lol:

Drederick Tatum: "err look at me, my beer's too strong, I might have to water it down..."
Chopper Reid: "HTFU Drederick"

(if you need some context for this, please and enjoy)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Drederick Tatum: "err look at me, my beer's too strong, I might have to water it down..."
Chopper Reid: "HTFU Drederick"

(if you need some context for this, please and enjoy)

Second thoughts i may just use it for shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back