Vb Alc Content To Be Dropped Again!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it has printed on the can "The Best Cold Beer" Truth in advertising.

Does that contravene Trading Standards in all States and Territories?

Does getting shot in the head contravene health and safety regulations. ?

( google and wolfram alpha ).

I wonder if they are cutting down on the alcohol by adding less sugar to the fermentables? Save on ingredients and also excise.

Could make it a really bad beer instead of the current really, really bad beer!

The little article I read today suggested drought conditions have made malt prices go up by roughly 20%. That, (coupled with beer taxes corresponding to alc content) mean that to avoid a price hike, VB will drop by .02% which I'm assuming comes from the malted barley content. Will still be a bad beer like the old bad beer.

News Limited on Wednesday reported the alcohol content of the iconic Melbourne-brewed beer would be cut from 4.9 per cent to 4.8 per cent to cut the amount of excise Foster's pays on the beer it brews. Foster's spokesman Ben Wicks said the change would not affect the taste of the beer. "It certainly doesn't affect the taste, which is very important to our VB drinkers. The taste will stay exactly the same. Our master brewers have done a lot of work to make sure of that," he told News Limited.

Weaker VB to save brewer millions in tax, Sydney Morning Herald,

The date? 4 July 2007.

A thread on lower alc vol VB...Hmmm...

Thread is still going strong.

Who buys VB?

What is VB anyway? It is not BEER....so why is it on a forum about beer?

Got me thinking it may actually (RARELY) pass as beer to some people.

Come on fellas, who REALLY cares for VB?

VB will soon lose it's green label and gain a gold/yellow (midstrength) label or it may even gain one under the heading "pure natural mineral water" with a hint of rats piss. Yummy, sports stars will go for that...NOT...

Do us home brewers care?

If I was to buy off the shelf (good luck with that) it would be something quality like a Grand Ridge or even a Coopers. If any home brewer buys off the shelf I could be 100% certain it would be quality, 'cos we drink our own quality and we would not take a step backwards.

VB...CARE FACTOR ZERO !!!

Sorry to sound blunt and good on the bloke that posted it caring for us fellow beer drinkers...thumbs up for him, good onya bloke.

Sorry if a repeat - but could only get through half the thread on one eye! ;)

I heard the Marketing Manager on 3AW this morning and he said "When all the prices of beer go up in 3 months due to excise in the future... and ALL beer , Who wil coming months we will stay the same price...

With the nanny society and the rather strange Queensland phenomenon of burly men with hairy chests and exaggerated Ocker accents strutting around with cans of 3.5 % ABV Gold in their Neanderthal paws imagining that this beer is the epitome of Rugged Manhood *, I reckon if Fosters and Lion Nathan succeed in their closet ambition of driving all beers down to a New Zealand 4%, then most of the population wouldn't give a f$%^

Thank God for home brew.

*Ok Shagga chuck us another of them Goldies
I'm not Shagga, I'm Wozza. Shagga went home crook. I just look identical to Shagga with my shaved head, surly aggressive look, blonde fat loud wife, goatee, tatts and huge belly hanging over the front of me trakkies.
Same as you, in fact, Chazza. Have another one of these Goldies we've only chugged two slabs so far.

(extract from Lion Nathan's head of finance recurring dream)

Thank God for home brew and brewers that see and understand the government stealing their freedom from them one alcohol percentage point or petrol price hike at a time. Cheer, mate!

Thank God for home brew and brewers that see and understand the government stealing their freedom from them one alcohol percentage point or petrol price hike at a time. Cheer, mate!

Waaiit fooor it...Waaiit fooor it...Waaiit fooor it...

Increased government taxes on home brew ingredients....

Damn I hope they don't read this forum and I haven't given them any ideas.

Luckily ingredients to make beer are not yet alcohol!

So in theory they can't touch us...

Unless they introduce some kind of fermentation tax...

Ok, shoot pistols in the air, woo hoo and high five each other!

@ Wallablack = Sig is simply hicks at his finest.. yep = awesome! :icon_cheers:

VB must be in a pile of poop currently.

Reducing their alc/vol keeps their product afloat but according to this article from march their sales have been in decline:
Flat VB Sales

They cite reasons like the "proliferation of premium beer" for their bad sales - but should that read "Beers that don't taste as shite as us"?

They have new ads coming out that ditch the 'hard earned thirst' line soon. Smacks of desperation to me to tear down something that has worked so well for them for decades. These guys are looking for the magic bullet in the marketing - but the problem could be the product itself tasting like doggy doo.

Gotta admit haven't drunk the stuff for years though so I'm proud to have played a part in their steady demise by not buying it.

I say to all raise a glass of homebrew and salute it's imminent passing, :icon_cheers:

Hopper.

Waaiit fooor it...Waaiit fooor it...Waaiit fooor it...

Increased government taxes on home brew ingredients....

Damn I hope they don't read this forum and I haven't given them any ideas.

Aw bloody hell! Now you've gone and given it away!!! We'll need to start an Aussie style "hop" party to protest the f'ers!

Aw bloody hell! Now you've gone and given it away!!!

Shhhh...
Quick everybody hide...
Hands behind back, stirrers poking up behind head inconspicuously...
These are soup heaters governor, for big...ummm...soup swaps...

A thread on lower alc vol VB...Hmmm...

Thread is still going strong.

Who buys VB?

What is VB anyway? It is not BEER....so why is it on a forum about beer?

Got me thinking it may actually (RARELY) pass as beer to some people.

Come on fellas, who REALLY cares for VB?

VB will soon lose it's green label and gain a gold/yellow (midstrength) label or it may even gain one under the heading "pure natural mineral water" with a hint of rats piss. Yummy, sports stars will go for that...NOT...

Do us home brewers care?

If I was to buy off the shelf (good luck with that) it would be something quality like a Grand Ridge or even a Coopers. If any home brewer buys off the shelf I could be 100% certain it would be quality, 'cos we drink our own quality and we would not take a step backwards.

VB...CARE FACTOR ZERO !!!

Sorry to sound blunt and good on the bloke that posted it caring for us fellow beer drinkers...thumbs up for him, good onya bloke.

Totally agree with you, but coming from a guy with a Tui logo as his avatar, sorry, theyre much of a muchness ;)

Aw bloody hell! Now you've gone and given it away!!! We'll need to start an Aussie style "hop" party to protest the f'ers!

There was a thread the other day talking about potential taxes to homebrew - they pop up quite frequently here.

As I may or may not have said in that thread, I doubt that the government would specifically target homebrew for taxation, someone pointed out that there are too few homebrewers for it to be worthwhile.

Far more likely is a wowser-style obesity tax, which would levy a tax or excise on sugar - white, brown, malt, fructose, dextrose, etc. If this happened (and lets face it, we've had sugar and malt taxes before), the cost of homebrew would rise considerably, albeit unintentionally.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions and taken in small steps...

There's been a mid-strength VB (with a yellow label, no less) for a couple years now. Personally I blame the Queenslanders. No one drinks mid-strength down here apart from piss-heads desperately trying to cling onto both their alcoholism and licence.

V.B. gave me my first (false) impressoins of what beer tastes like, I disliked it then and now (V.B. that is).

YUK POO Horrible,,, Spit Sput Spit,,Me thinks VB tastes like (enter rhyming word here) :icon_vomit:

Gimee a good home brew any day, :icon_cheers:

paraphrasing wallablack here
who gives a f*ck about VB. why is there a thread about it.

mainly posted as its beer related news and the continuing trend of breweries. not so much as a commentary/discussion on VB its self or its decline. although it is sad to see an icon (and yes its an icon just like fosters is - perhaps more toVictorians than other states which have their own iconic versions, xxxx, westend, swan, tooheys red) be slowly killed.

I see your point about wtf are we discussing VB. but it is beer. its is related to the whole industry that we are involved in.

afterall here's a good question this article poses: if megabreweries are cutting costs in this way, how long will it be before microbreweries starting doing similar things or stop making higher gravity style beers to save money as they struggle to compete in the market to begin with?

food beer for thought. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back