Valve for disposable oxygen cylinder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoo4u

Reaction score
I thought I got a great deal at Masters today (10% off day) with a Bromic disposable oxygen cylinder. It's the tall one (about twice as tall as the red Bernzamatic) and says on the label 156 litre.

The red Bernzamatic 40g one contains around 28 litres if my maths is any good.

Bernzamatic - $30, Bromic - $45. Good deal?:

I can't get a valve to fit it!!! It's a marginally bigger and different thread from the Bernzamatic. (Murphy's Law, yeah?) Even Bromic don't stock them, as the cylinders are designed for use with a much bigger bit of kit - welding I think.

Has anyone out there used one of these cylinders standalone? (Grey, with black & yellow label). Imported from Italy. And if yes, where did you get the valve?

If no joy, I'll take it back and get the Bernzamatic, and a valve assembly for around $40 from a local tools place. But the smell of the bargain was too good to pass by.

Sorry to thread-jack, but how do people dispose of their empty disposable O2 cylinders? Is it okay to just put straight into a household rubbish bin?

Back to the OP question: I remember reading about different thread sizes when researching O2 on this site. I bought a regulator that would fit a Tradeflame cylinder. But it won't fit the red Bernzamatic cylinders.

Apparently the Bromic ones use a different size again - see post #76 here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/16085-oxygen-options-in-australia/page-4 (my #52 post lists everything I bought, including regulator for Tradeflame cylinders).

EDIT: For the record Tradeflame's 930ml cylinder yields 110L of O2 for $50.

Hey there, I'll just clarify that, by Bunnings cylinders in that post 76 in that thread I meant their full size oxygen cylinders. I'm pretty sure the Bromic and Tradeflame are the same, but I'll need to go to Masters to check. I'll post back once I do.

OK, the tall thin Bromics cylinders match the tall, thin Tradeflame ones at Bunnings, and the mini-reg I have fits on both of them. These are a completely different thread and valve size to the Bernzomatic. Having done the Bernzomatic ones for awhile I definitely recommend getting a reg to fit the Bromic/Tradeflame cylinders.

These cylinders:

IMG_4916.JPG

Do these have the same thread as the tesuco oxyturbo bottles?

If you find a good/cheap valve/regulator that fits can you post a link...

TSMill said:
Do these have the same thread as the tesuco oxyturbo bottles?
Looks the same but I haven't had a chance to test it. I'll see whether I can find out. Just take your mini-reg with you into the store. I can now say with confidence that I let a little gas fly in Masters and Bunnings on the same day ;)

Do these oxygen mini reg's come bagged and labelled cleaned for oxygen? Would be concerned about using cheap chinese valves/regs full of machining oils and greases. Could be asking for a mini-splosion in yo face...

Absolutely, Deej raises a crucial point. If you're getting a mini-reg for wort oxygenation get one specified for oxygen. That explosion would include a fair bit of shrapnel. Oil and pure oxygen can be a lethal combination.

Does that mean the reg I bought has the potential to be dangerous? LINK

And also, can I dispose of used disposable O2 cylinders in regular household/council rubbish?

Referring to the oil in regs mentioned above, I can confirm that this is a genuine threat. We had an oxy bottle at work once explode a regulator because the person who cleaned it prior used a good dose of oil and a bit of grit to get crap out of the thread. Reg blew off completely, and believe me you don't want to me anywhere near one of these cylinders if the regs let go. It's hilarious from a distance though.

kaiserben said:
Does that mean the reg I bought has the potential to be dangerous? LINK

And also, can I dispose of used disposable O2 cylinders in regular household/council rubbish?
It most certainly is.

Oxygen will make ANYTHING burn. Including stainless steel. Given a fuel source with low autoignition temp like oils and grease and energy like heat (through adiabatic compression or otherwise), particle impingement or a spark this creates a kindling effect and will cause an explosion quick fast.

Only use certified cleaned for oxygen components in any oxygen carrying system, or risk the consequences.

Should add even through my line of work (industrial gases), we struggle finding suppliers of oxygen equipment who actually can clean properly. A lot claim to but when quizzes and investigated do not have the right capabilities.

Latest posts

Back