Vale Chopper Read.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pat_00 said:
I don't really get why he was famous/infamous. Must be that latent criminality seething under the surface of our ex penal society :)
He's like Ned Kelly without the armor.

Yob said:
At least youre not saying he was a bad person :lol:

Mad? Bad? who's to say.
But I think we all know a psychopath or two. I hear if you're in the corporate sector, its a given.

Yob said:
He was a standover man, not a bully
Um, what?

Yob said:
in fact, he hated bullies and would often stand up for the persecuted and those being victimised. Seen it.
I don't suppose this manifestation of selfless defense of another's right to quiet enjoyment of their life took the form of reasoned and logical debate?

Only if you take the position that some people "deserve it".

Never personally held much sympathy for smack dealers nor bullies... so... er..

Mr Joe Public, had little if anything to fear from Mr Chop Chop.

Fuk em all with the blunt end of a bat, you'll get no tears from me for them nor their bent limbs and deformed forheads.

Dont get me wrong, I dont advocate many of the things he's reputed to have done, but the people to whom these alleged "crimes" were committed were no saints either nor deserving of either sympathy or defending (*here).

I'm on Yob's side a bit here. I don't advocate the actions of Chop or his 'victims', but an eye for an eye, karma, whatever you want to call it. If you're a crim, and you get done be a crim, no crime was commited in my eyes. It's cheaper for society. It's only worrying when the public get roped in. I don't mind a bit of vigilantism, even if it is done by a crim.

Ned Kelly done over innocent public, he was worse than Chopper

I just think it is a shame that vast amounts of media attention is given to people who make no real contribution to society, and little to no attention is given to those who work tirelessly for decades to improve the lives of others. Seems that we value notoriety more than good deeds.

True that.

But like I said before, Chopper could have been a bigger drain on the taxpayer, but he became self-funding. How many people of his criminal calibre can claim to have done that?

JDW81 said:
I just think it is a shame that vast amounts of media attention is given to people who make no real contribution to society, and little to no attention is given to those who work tirelessly for decades to improve the lives of others. Seems that we value notoriety more than good deeds.
059149-lance-franklin.jpg

Noteriety sells. Selfless service for the greater good doesn't. Mother Theresea is a prime example.

Back to the OP. Chopper said he never attacked anyone who didn't benefit from the experience. Of course he also said he never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

tavas said:
Selfless service for the greater good doesn't. Mother Theresea is a prime example.
Like her receiving money from criminals and worshiping poverty?

And her creepy fetish for suffering.

So Chopper>Mother Teresa amirite?

tavas said:
Noteriety sells. Selfless service for the greater good doesn't.
Agreed, but I reckon it still says a lot about what society values.

If he hadn't had a book, or a film about made from the afore mentioned, this thread would never have been started he is somebody who went down the wrong path, had he joined the forces he would most likely have been a hero, some people genuinely have no fear. Maybe they don't think of consequences I don't know I am no psychiatrist, but there are people out there who are like that and I bet that most people would even know one.
I have a brother in law who is a member of the Bandidos, on his own he is all wind, piss and chicken shit put him with his cronies and he thinks he is "Cock of the walk"
As Yob says there are a lot more people out there worse than Chopper Read.

Yob said:
environment based argument.

there is a fair difference between a standover man and a bully.
There is a difference. A standover man receives payment to be a bully.

Back