Vacuum Sealer For Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I double seal every time these days.

My wife's sunbeam's sealing element has a bit of a minor flaw in it, and I find without a double seal I lose vacuum too often

So basically, one seal to vacuum, then pull it forward a cm and do a second seal. You might've noticed that many retailers do the same thing.

Working like a charm... will put my doubts down to human error.

4.JPG

Looking forward to the 3lb Bulk Buy hops arriving from the US..

I love those rolls that you can split to make smaller baggies... spent the morning having loads of fun and making an inventory..

what can I make with these hops?

Pellet - EKG, Sapphire, Challenger, US Saaz, Pacific Jade, Green Bullet, Chinook, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, Kohatu, Wai Iti, Rakau, Galaxy, Centennial, Citra, Amarillo, Tettnanger, Perle... (En Route - Magnum, Willie, Cascade)

Flowers - POR, Cluster

5.JPG

Freezers looking pretty sweet

:icon_chickcheers:

My DZ-300 is on it's last legs. Rather than order new bags for it, just to see it die, i'm looking for something else. Anybody have a good hit lately? Looking for something a bit better made this time, not just the random rebadge.

I've been using Sunbeam for about 4-5 years, no problems ever. Sunbeams latest run of roll/bags leaves a lot to be desired, they won't seal. I've switched to the Lumina roll of bags from Aldi, fantastic bags!

I've been using. Sunbeam for about 4-5 years, no problems ever. Sunbeams latest run of roll/bags leaves a lot to be desired, they won't seal. I've switched to the Lumina roll of bags from Aldi, fantastic bags!

THIS ONE linked earlier in the thread is going great guns.. comes with some bags and 4 rolls, well worth it.

Yob

This one seems to be able to handle liquid as well, which is a bonus. Anyone tested this? It's the main reason the DZ-300 seems to die after a while (ingesting hop debris and liquids).

Wimmig - I assume that you've seen the thread somewhere around here on how to service the DZ-300 when the sealing slows down? There's a black plug at the back that you can remove, and then you can remove the filter and either throw it away or attempt to clean it and reinstall it.

I looked at the Maxkon ones - you can pick them up on ebay for $40-$50 if you play the bidding game.
Go the one that has the attachment for the vacuum pump, and buy the pump & containers while you're there if you think you'll want to vacuum seal a few plastic containers. Seems like a great function to me - I just bought a separate system of vacuum containers so didn't need it.

I ended up ordering one of these last friday:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160780446590?ss...984.m1439.l2649
$80 but it came with a bonus 2 x 12m rolls (both sizes) which is what sold it for me. That's a good $40-$50 of extra rolls.
It has different pressure settings for wet and dry.

Hopefully it should arrive today/tomorrow. I have lots of bags of hops to seal up!

A big +1 for the Luvelo.Just split up a couple of kilos of hops with it on it's first run.Nice and powerful, 2 suction levels, can do liquids/dry items/cannisters(with a separate attachment).Looks good and compact too.Plus, the deal with 24m of extra 'cut-them-to-size' bags make it a bargain.

Just bought the Aldi lumina 2 weeks ago
So far only done a couple pounds of hops into 100g bags
And 40kg of malts into 1.5kg bags.. so far it seams to be running fine
Might have to buy a few more rolls though :p

So it's all about the Luvelo then? Hmm might have to hunt ebay to find the best deal / most free kit with it. And Kaiser, yeah i've seen it, did it etc thanks though. I have suction problems on and off as well as the sealing bar has 'ruffles' in it, which keep coming and going causing loss of good vac seal.

Lots of people have bought these
Anyone else had experience with on of these?

Pretty good deal and 12 month warranty, only reason I'm look at this rather that the bats one was it appears to have a little more suction.
Looks physically identical to mine (which came from Sam's Warehouse) it's worked well enough for 4 or so years, but now the non-stick coating on the top heat-wire has come off in small patch which means that the bags tend to stick/bubble a little (still works). It also seems to have a little trouble with the latest batch of bags (rolls) I got (from that online cheapo place), not sure if it the bags, the age of the machine or something else. For the price, free shipping, 12m warranty (likely cost you to ship it back to them if it does break) I'd suggest it's a good deal.

As stated above I got THIS VAC SEALER... love the TURBO function :rolleyes:

so I get home and want something to seal up, seeing as the cat didnt really want to get in the bag I settled on a bunch of Veg off cuts which promptly got the treatment.

I left the bag on the bench overnight and was surprised in the morning when it had lost some of the seal (not that I could see where) and sucked in a bit of air.

Last night I had a go at some Northern Brewer Hops Ive had in a container (given to me some time ago in Sydney).. I made sure to give the bags double seals both ends to see if that makes a difference.

anybody else find that they need to double seal?

Yob

Just rushed to the freezer to check all the single seals I did...well, sauntered really.
No problems, all good vaccuums. Might do doubles from now though just to be sure.
I also love the Luvelo, though not used it with liquids yet. The bags supplied will last a couple of years I reckon.

Anyone else had experience with on of these?

Pretty good deal and 12 month warranty, only reason I'm look at this rather that the bats one was it appears to have a little more suction.
I have had the same sealer for about 18 months and it works very well. Bought it from the same seller you linked to. Use good quality bags and you won't have a problem.

I am still on the vacuum sealer trail, having been given plenty of advise. Some suggestions have been to get something with

- Good suction power
- Able to seal normal bags, and not channel type bags that cost more
- Something able to support wet & dry sealing
- Device with option to seal specially purchased containers
- Something that supports foil bags (should the need arise for these in the future).

Am looking at Luvelo Vacuum Food Sealer Saver - Stainless Steel - 120W of Vacuum PowerBONUS 24M BAG ROLLS which is selling for $94.95 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160780446590;js...6590%26_rdc%3D1)

I know this model has been mentioned before, but can anyone that owns one make any comments as to how it meets the above requirements, and whether it offers value for money, being a slightly more expensive unit.

Thank.

I am still on the vacuum sealer trail, having been given plenty of advise. Some suggestions have been to get something with

- Good suction power
yep, love the turbo option on it
define normal bags? flat? dunnoI got this machine when they had a sale that included 4 rolls, like posted below, just onto my second roll and the thing has paid for itself already I rekon :)
Yep
I think so
- Something that supports foil bags (should the need arise for these in the future).
I dont think so but I may be mistaken

Am looking at Luvelo Vacuum Food Sealer Saver - Stainless Steel - 120W of Vacuum PowerBONUS 24M BAG ROLLS which is selling for $94.95 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160780446590;js...6590%26_rdc%3D1)

I think I got pretty much the same deal as you have linked only I believe it was a tiny bit cheaper when I bought it.. good little unit

Yob

- Good suction power

I know this model has been mentioned before, but can anyone that owns one make any comments as to how it meets the above requirements, and whether it offers value for money, being a slightly more expensive unit.

Thank.

Apart from the brushed steel finish, isn't this unit exactly the same, but $15 cheaper?

Latest posts

Back