Meat Grinders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little off topic I guess but I am putting in a order for some sausage gear as we speak.

What type of skins do you use for them, from all accounts the natural ones are a pita to use?

Are the Colagen ones any good? Easier to use for a first timer?

I've never used collagen so can't compare but natural ones are fine in my experience. As they are natural there will be variation and they will not all have the same filling/bursting point so be aware of that but they make sausages.

Bear in mind also that I currently use a piping bag to fill but I can't imagine that makes them any easier to fill.

I've used collagen and natural. Collagen are slightly easier to fill, but will still split and look and taste like crap in my opinion. Natural casings are slightly harder to fill, but still easy once you get going and would definitely be my recommendation, even for a beginner.

I use natural casings. They look at their best if they are turned inside out with the tap as in the pic above. They taste the same if not, but have fatty wrinkly parts on the outside which are a little unsightly. They are no trouble at all to fill, store easily and a $30 or whatever it was hank will last for many years in the fridge and make kilometers of sausage.

Google the inside out thing, it's easy enough to do, although a bit of a pita.

Necro,

Aldi have this meat grinder next Wednesday for $70, looks very similar to a $200 one posted on the forum last year. Comes with sausage adaptor.

Adding to the necro... I bought casings recently from The Casing Boutique. I think the price is pretty good, although it's been a long time since I bought and remembered the cost of casings. Service, communication, packaging, ordering, website, etc were all excellent. And there's a pretty big range there too...

Bribie G said:
Necro,

Aldi have this meat grinder next Wednesday for $70, looks very similar to a $200 one posted on the forum last year. Comes with sausage adaptor.
just a note on these grinders. I have one, as does a mate. he shoots and butchers his own animals and is very happy with his. Mine started to mince metal out the front when i switched it on. it had been in storage beyond warantee so i had to have a mate modify it on a lathe to make it useable. so if you get one, and for the price i suggest you do, just make sure its ok and return it if its a dud. they are as noisy as hell too by the way!

Hello everyone, I'm new and joined up to reply to this thread.

I'm also in the market for a meat grinder, and have come across the Tefal Le Hachoir meat mincer as well.

My question is do you think this grinder would be powerful enough to mince through soft bones such as chicken thighs?

I'm hoping to be able to make my own pet food and am looking for a grinder to do the job but there doesn't seem to be much information out there on the web. I can find heaps of reviews about overseas models, but I'm wanting to purchase one from within Aus if possible.

At the moment these are the two models I'm tossing up:

The previously discussed Tefal Le Hachoir: http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Appliances/Mincers/Tefal-Le-Hachoir-Meat-Mincer-800W

And this kenwood, which is more expensive, around $300, here: http://www.kenwood-australia.com/training/MG700/MG700_Technical_Data.pdf

Do you think either could handle chicken bones well?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice or reviews on both the models.

Cheers.

I was considering getting the Tefal, but am looking around for others. Will have to take a look at this Kenwood.

I've had it a couple of years. We do snags occasionally, but also do mince often from a rump as I get get rump cheaper than mince. Once you have had rump mince, you will never eat floor dropping mince again. Rump mince even tastes like meat. The machine sounds like it will run for a long time to come, but has already paid for itself.

I have one similar to kevs, but mine is white. Worked well, currently using it to drive my grain mill. Plenty of grunt with them.
Cheers
LB

Good to know! I could buy 2 of these for the price of the others.

The Maxkon has been mentioned a few times but i can't see if anyone has actually bought it and can provide a review?

The Tefal seems to be by the best. Might just get that. I'm struggling with spending that sort of cash just to make some sausages every now and again. What else do you use a mincer for?

Linkn said:
The Maxkon has been mentioned a few times but i can't see if anyone has actually bought it and can provide a review?

The Tefal seems to be by the best. Might just get that. I'm struggling with spending that sort of cash just to make some sausages every now and again. What else do you use a mincer for?

Why not go with the Aldi/Lumina one? There doesn't seem to be a lot of $ difference

Latest posts

Back