Newbie onboard.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennysbrews

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Ben, I'm in Hervey Bay Qld and this is my intro post. I'm turning 50 in August and got the idea to have a go at brewing to supplement drink costs at my 50th, if this virus backs of and I van have a decent party. I'm not a big drinker but enjoy apple/pear cider, ginger beer, mid strength beer and the occasional bourbon. I like to have a good stock of brews by August and I'm currently looking to buy or build a still.
So first, I just bought a used brew kit with 4 fermenting vats, a long spoon, bottle filler, some measuring jugs, a hydrometer, some strip thermometers, cleaning powders and liquids, bottle brushes, 3kg of dextrose, a packet of brew enhancer?, 120 carbonation drops, 4 bubblers, a heap of spare grommets, 120 PET bottle caps and about 300 x 750ml bottles in hand made crates (half are new), a tin of Queensland Bitter and a tin of Colony West Stones GB. I thought it was a bargain at $100. The poor lad who sold it is diabetic and made himself sick within 6 months of owning it so he off loaded it and I jumped. I then went and bought a 63 bottle tree from the local brew shop.

I've spent 2 afternoons scrubbing and rinsing and drying, dedicated an old 2 door office cabinet for storage, set up 2 old fridges for fermenting and cold storage and this afternoon I started my first brew.
The GB kit
I added
175 ml of lemon juice
580 gms of Brown sugar
2 tbl spoons of vanilla extract
375 ml of Buderim Ginger Refresher
The OG was 1067.

I am qualified chef (former occupation) and worked as a barman for a long time when younger, so I have a passion for food and drinks and work well with recipes and measurements. I also make smallgoods and BBQ/smoke meats habitually so brewing seemed a natural progression.
Looking forward to getting tips and hints where possible and learning something new.
Cheers

Hello,

My name is Ben, I'm in Hervey Bay Qld and this is my intro post. I'm turning 50 in August and got the idea to have a go at brewing to supplement drink costs at my 50th, if this virus backs of and I van have a decent party. I'm not a big drinker but enjoy apple/pear cider, ginger beer, mid strength beer and the occasional bourbon. I like to have a good stock of brews by August and I'm currently looking to buy or build a still.
So first, I just bought a used brew kit with 4 fermenting vats, a long spoon, bottle filler, some measuring jugs, a hydrometer, some strip thermometers, cleaning powders and liquids, bottle brushes, 3kg of dextrose, a packet of brew enhancer?, 120 carbonation drops, 4 bubblers, a heap of spare grommets, 120 PET bottle caps and about 300 x 750ml bottles in hand made crates (half are new), a tin of Queensland Bitter and a tin of Colony West Stones GB. I thought it was a bargain at $100. The poor lad who sold it is diabetic and made himself sick within 6 months of owning it so he off loaded it and I jumped. I then went and bought a 63 bottle tree from the local brew shop.

I've spent 2 afternoons scrubbing and rinsing and drying, dedicated an old 2 door office cabinet for storage, set up 2 old fridges for fermenting and cold storage and this afternoon I started my first brew.
The GB kit
I added
175 ml of lemon juice
580 gms of Brown sugar
2 tbl spoons of vanilla extract
375 ml of Buderim Ginger Refresher
The OG was 1067.

I am qualified chef (former occupation) and worked as a barman for a long time when younger, so I have a passion for food and drinks and work well with recipes and measurements. I also make smallgoods and BBQ/smoke meats habitually so brewing seemed a natural progression.
Looking forward to getting tips and hints where possible and learning something new.
Cheers
Also added 1kg of dextrose to the tin kit. And made sure e everything was sanitised well before use.
Most of the stuff that came with the kit was new in packaging and everything that wasn't was tossed, except for the 150 PET bottles that were used. Those have been thoroughly cleaned and stored.

Back