Vacuum Sealer For Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daz,
Think of me when you realise you've (probably) bought too many hops. :p
Always good & up for a decent second-hand purchase I am. :icon_cheers:

TP
Its comforting to know there's stuff at hand, I like having a full freezer but Ill give you a call when they turn brown. :p
Daz

I've got a Sunbeam foodsaver but to be honest, I just chuck the hops into ziplock bags and freeze them.

Vacuuming makes squat difference unless you plan to store them for years or store them warm.

VS

Vacuum Sealer? Not sure you can assume it means they're from the same range...

I have the one which you saw on crazy sales, the maxkon with four buttons and a switch on top (FVPS007). I bought it for sous vide but use it for hops :)

Works a treat!

I have the one which you saw on crazy sales, the maxkon with four buttons and a switch on top (FVPS007). I bought it for sous vide but use it for hops :)

Works a treat!
Same, does a bang up job. If you get this one try and buy the same rolls as replacements though. I got some on Ebay and they work fine but not as good as the originals.

I looked at the Maxkon ones - you can pick them up on ebay for $40-$50 if you play the bidding game.
Go the one that has the attachment for the vacuum pump, and buy the pump & containers while you're there if you think you'll want to vacuum seal a few plastic containers. Seems like a great function to me - I just bought a separate system of vacuum containers so didn't need it.

I ended up ordering one of these last friday:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160780446590?ss...984.m1439.l2649
$80 but it came with a bonus 2 x 12m rolls (both sizes) which is what sold it for me. That's a good $40-$50 of extra rolls.
It has different pressure settings for wet and dry.

Hopefully it should arrive today/tomorrow. I have lots of bags of hops to seal up!

I looked at the Maxkon ones - you can pick them up on ebay for $40-$50 if you play the bidding game.
Go the one that has the attachment for the vacuum pump, and buy the pump & containers while you're there if you think you'll want to vacuum seal a few plastic containers. Seems like a great function to me - I just bought a separate system of vacuum containers so didn't need it.

I ended up ordering one of these last friday:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160780446590?ss...984.m1439.l2649
$80 but it came with a bonus 2 x 12m rolls (both sizes) which is what sold it for me. That's a good $40-$50 of extra rolls.
It has different pressure settings for wet and dry.

Hopefully it should arrive today/tomorrow. I have lots of bags of hops to seal up!

Im with you... DAMN but Ive been throwing some coin.. just got the vac sealer, 3lb Hops, 2 STC'c and a ste of Scales 5kg @ 0.1g resolution...

:beerbang:

Im with you... DAMN but Ive been throwing some coin.. just got the vac sealer, 3lb Hops, 2 STC'c and a ste of Scales 5kg @ 0.1g resolution...

:icon_offtopic: Im after some scales like that...do you have a link??

:icon_offtopic: Im after some scales like that...do you have a link??

:icon_offtopic: I wanted some scaled that could weigh the grain bill as well as do my hops so I settled on THESE SCALES the current ones I used were only 3kg @ 1g res. Hoping these will do the job for me nicely.

Back on Topic, got into work today and found an express post package with my Vac Sealer sitting on my chair :icon_chickcheers:

Cant wait to get and split my 3lb of hops!!

My old scales were getting a bit long in the tooth, I saw some in IGA yesterday for $19.95, 5kg @ 1g res.

I bought them and they seem to be good quality..

As stated above I got THIS VAC SEALER... love the TURBO function :rolleyes:

so I get home and want something to seal up, seeing as the cat didnt really want to get in the bag I settled on a bunch of Veg off cuts which promptly got the treatment.

I left the bag on the bench overnight and was surprised in the morning when it had lost some of the seal (not that I could see where) and sucked in a bit of air.

Last night I had a go at some Northern Brewer Hops Ive had in a container (given to me some time ago in Sydney).. I made sure to give the bags double seals both ends to see if that makes a difference.

anybody else find that they need to double seal?

Yob

i single seal each end.i have some hop flower for last year's bulk buy and the seal is still good

As stated above I got THIS VAC SEALER... love the TURBO function :rolleyes:

so I get home and want something to seal up, seeing as the cat didnt really want to get in the bag I settled on a bunch of Veg off cuts which promptly got the treatment.

I left the bag on the bench overnight and was surprised in the morning when it had lost some of the seal (not that I could see where) and sucked in a bit of air.

Last night I had a go at some Northern Brewer Hops Ive had in a container (given to me some time ago in Sydney).. I made sure to give the bags double seals both ends to see if that makes a difference.

anybody else find that they need to double seal?

Yob
I find it helps to leave the bag in the machine for 30 or more secs after it's finished sealing.

Latest posts

Back