Using Split Up Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec

Reaction score
I've a similar question to a recent topic, and I'm seeking some guidance.
I have split up a my first smack pack ( 3068 ) according to the instructions on this site, and all went well.
Kicked off a 500ml starter yesterday morning at 18 degC, and there's minimal activity 24 hrs later. Seeing as I want to pitch this yeast this arvo, if fed it another yeast split and raised the temp up to 24, hoping for it to fire up.

Am I on the right track, or have I cocked it up by adding another yeast ?

Your advice will be appreciated.

regards

I think you need to state the following parameters:

How old the yeast is (since split), how much slurry per container, and how it has been stored since you split it.
How you did the starter, eg DME/nutrients/aeration/stirplate.

Am I on the right track, or have I cocked it up by adding another yeast ?

All adding another yeast would have done is use up another yeast. Yeast starters may get going in 24 hours with no problem while others will take longer.
It is better to leave the starter long enough to allow the yeast to multiply building up the cell count enough to ferment out your beer. Stuck ferments are often the result of not enough yeast pitched to the full wort.
I always allow at least three days for the starter to ferment out. By the end of this time I can see quite an amount of yeast at the bottom of the starter.

Gavo

Info as follows:
Bought pack via airmail from site sponsor and stored in fridge
Smacked pack and it swelled up heaps after 3 hours,
Made up aerated ( madly shaken ) 1L starter ( 100gm LMDE ) @ 18 degC
Normal start to fermentation
Wait for ferment to cease ( approx 30 hours)
Split into 4 @ 260ml each,
New aerated ( madly shaken ) 500ml starter ( 50gm LMDE ), with one 260ml split
Ferment @ 18degC
No action after 24 hours
Added another 260ml split this morning and raised temp

Any ideas??

If the 260 ml was pitched maybe the starter is done? is there a lot of yeast sitting on the bottom of the starter?

Gavo.

There's about 5 - 6 ml of slurry in the bottom of each of the bulges of a 2l PET bottle . Reckon its enough?

regards

Sounds like it will be enough for a single Batch. Thats about what I would expect from a 500ml water - 50 gram LDME starter. It's probably more than whats in a smackpack anyway. Give it a few more swirls and pitch late this arvo.

Don't forget to smell it and give it a taste.

Gavo.

Info as follows:
Bought pack via airmail from site sponsor and stored in fridge
Smacked pack and it swelled up heaps after 3 hours,
Made up aerated ( madly shaken ) 1L starter ( 100gm LMDE ) @ 18 degC
Normal start to fermentation
Wait for ferment to cease ( approx 30 hours)
Split into 4 @ 260ml each,
New aerated ( madly shaken ) 500ml starter ( 50gm LMDE ), with one 260ml split
Ferment @ 18degC
No action after 24 hours
Added another 260ml split this morning and raised temp

Any ideas??

If you've got 5-6ml of yeast then it may have fermented out. As Gavo said, adding more yeast is just a waste. Add the other 500ml wort to your starter to build up more yeast & to see what happens.
If the worst comes to the worst, Add your starter & the remaing splits to your fermenter after checking for any infections in both starter & splits.
Next time just split the pack into smaller containers without busting open the nutrient (Save it for the boil).

I presume that you split the pack under sanitary conditions & boiled the crappers out of the containers to ensure they were sterile?
Don't be discouraged if things don't turn out right the first time. Practise makes perfect. :)

TP

Next time just split the pack into smaller containers without busting open the nutrient (Save it for the boil).

I'm at an advantage here as TP did my last split directly from the pack for me and I got to see just how simple it was.

I was thinking that by "5 - 6 ml of slurry in the bottom of each of the bulges of a 2l PET bottle" you mean 5-6mm in depth. This would be, as said before, what I would expect.

Gavo.

For very imformative info on this subject take a look at B&T's post HERE (Post 27). The links that he kindly provided are well worth saving to computer for future reference. :super:

TP

For very imformative info on this subject take a look at B&T's post HERE (Post 27). The links that he kindly provided are well worth saving to computer for future reference. :super:

TP

Done. The fog has lifted somewhat. The starter smelt and tasted quite different to any other I've done, but that is to be expected I spose.

Many thanks to Gavo & TP.

Regards

TP, a few questions:

If it's that easy, why do people recommend making a starter and then splitting that (as elec did)?

I presume that you split the pack under sanitary conditions & boiled the crappers out of the containers to ensure they were sterile?
When you say to boil the containers - is standard sanitisation (such as iodophor) sufficient?

TP, a few questions:

If it's that easy, why do people recommend making a starter and then splitting that (as elec did)?

It can be done both ways but for speed, convenience & simplicity I do it the way I have mentioned. Don't forget that if you make up a starter out of your smack pack & split it, you still have to build each split up again before you can toss it into the fermenter. More stuffing around.

When you say to boil the containers - is standard sanitisation (such as iodophor) sufficient?

No, because you have to sterilise NOT sanitise. The most efficient ways to sterilise are 1--- Autoclave. 2 --- pressure cooker. 3 --- Boiling flat out in pot for a minimum of 35 minutes (In that order). I have gotten away with the 3rd option for a long time but now use a pressure cooker until I win Lotto & get an autoclave. :)

TP

there's also a wiki on yeast here

from that link there is Batz method for starting wyeast here

as to storage. well glass is easy to steralize as TP said. but many people go woth PET bottles for ease. How do you steralize PET. well you could use something like metasulfate then use a sanatiser. pain in the ass. you could use very very hot water for a while and hope that does the trick then sanatise. again what you trade for ease, you gain in risk of infection. but lets be honest. if your stuff is failr y clean to begin with and your careful ayou can probably get away with PET if thats what you want. I have a mixture of both PET and glass and no infections yet.

Latest posts

Back