Pitching Liquid Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been successful pitching my first liquid. I split up a wyeasst 1272 and made a starter for an american pale which I pitched and had firing within 24 hrs.

I collected some wort from dr smurtos golden ale I did and have made another starter with the 1272 and its starting to get krausen. I started it about 2-3 days ago and have been shaking it.. its only a small starter, at around 1.040, 700ml

I figure I'll let it brew out a few more days and then cold crash it.. it will be going into the same beer (a drsmurtos I have cubed) - just wondering if there are benefits to cold crashing the yeast, or if I should just pitch it (as its the same beer), or if I should cold crash it and just pitch the yeast slurry given it will have been brewing out for about 5-6 days by the time I pitch it?

The whole starter can be pitched at high krausen, but if you ferment out it is probably best you pitch just the yeast.

Once you have pitched it in the ferm, wait till its at krausen and draw off 500-600ml thru the tap. Gives a nice starter for your next brew

Black n Tan said:
The whole starter can be pitched at high krausen, but if you ferment out it is probably best you pitch just the yeast.
Ahh thats what I thought. I think I'll just pitch the yeast. What a bout if I fridged it now at 3 days of fermentation?

Hi Guys,

I've been successful pitching my first liquid. I split up a wyeasst 1272 and made a starter for an american pale which I pitched and had firing within 24 hrs.

I collected some wort from dr smurtos golden ale I did and have made another starter with the 1272 and its starting to get krausen. I started it about 2-3 days ago and have been shaking it.. its only a small starter, at around 1.040, 700ml

I figure I'll let it brew out a few more days and then cold crash it.. it will be going into the same beer (a drsmurtos I have cubed) - just wondering if there are benefits to cold crashing the yeast, or if I should just pitch it (as its the same beer), or if I should cold crash it and just pitch the yeast slurry given it will have been brewing out for about 5-6 days by the time I pitch it?
Only pitch the whole thing if it's been treated gently. I pitch mine at high krausen but I don't use a stirplate or ferment it especially warm.

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Ahh thats what I thought. I think I'll just pitch the yeast. What a bout if I fridged it now at 3 days of fermentation?
The yeast will flocculate in the fridge, so if you place the starter in the fridge you may as well just pitch the yeast.

Black n Tan said:
The yeast will flocculate in the fridge, so if you place the starter in the fridge you may as well just pitch the yeast.
Thanks.

Does it need to be rinsed, or can I just pitch it trub and all?

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Thanks.

Does it need to be rinsed, or can I just pitch it trub and all?
It does look pretty clean.. and is from the same beer

Starter.jpg

No need to rinse form a starter. Decant the spent wort and then pitch the rest.

Often with my starters, I'll pour off a good 450ml. Sniff it and scoff it and wish I'd put some hops in it. Haven't had a bad one yet. I love beer and hate wasting it. It gives you an idea of its nature. I'll rinse it if I want to store for a while. So drink top 450 swirl and pitch.

Back