Quantcast

Using Only B Saaz In An Pale Ale

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Marc One

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive recently moved on from kit brewing to full extract brewing and so far am producing excellent results. The last recipe I tried was Neills Centarlillo Ale with the addition of 200g crystal malt and it was a cracker! The best brew I have ever done, and remarkably simple to put down.

Anyway, as Im a novice Im going to stick with Neills basic method for the time being and just change the hop additions so I can get an idea of some hop flavours and characteristics. Yesterday I boiled an extract using Neills Ale recipe, replacing the Centennial and Amarillo for just Cascade with 10g @ 50min, 40g @ 30min and 40g @ 5min. I also added 500g Crystal Malt and 200g of LDME this time. Hope it turns out ok.

Im planning the next one, and I have 90g of B Saaz (Mouteka) which I was going to use. I know this hop is more suited to Pilsners but will it be okay in this ale? Maybe if this is no good, would the addition of some Hallertau help producing a good end result for an ale? Cheers in advance.

Markbeer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've recently moved on from kit brewing to full extract brewing and so far am producing excellent results. The last recipe I tried was Neills Centarlillo Ale with the addition of 200g crystal malt and it was a cracker! The best brew I have ever done, and remarkably simple to put down.

Anyway, as I'm a novice I'm going to stick with Neills basic method for the time being and just change the hop additions so I can get an idea of some hop flavours and characteristics. Yesterday I boiled an extract using Neills Ale recipe, replacing the Centennial and Amarillo for just Cascade with 10g @ 50min, 40g @ 30min and 40g @ 5min. I also added 500g Crystal Malt and 200g of LDME this time. Hope it turns out ok.

I'm planning the next one, and I have 90g of B Saaz (Mouteka) which I was going to use. I know this hop is more suited to Pilsners but will it be okay in this ale? Maybe if this is no good, would the addition of some Hallertau help producing a good end result for an ale? Cheers in advance.
Hi

B-Saaz are not strictly suited to Pilseners. Normal Saaz is suited but they are two separate hops. B-Saaz is more fruity, a true pilsener has little fruitiness.

B-Saaz is more suited to fruity ales than a Pilsener so you will be fine.

Mark

Hippy

Pro
Pro
Reaction score
Motueka(B Saaz) goes great in pale ales. Tony's All Grain recipie for a liitle creatures bright ale clone is testement to this. Just be careful not to overdo the late hop additions as you will end up with a brew that tastes like Pasito or pineapple juice :icon_vomit:

Marc One

Reaction score
Great info, thanks guys.

Would 40g of B Saaz at the end of a boil be classified as overdoing it? Should I cut this back to 20g maybe and put the other 20g in around half way through the boil?

Also, I know I am straying from my original plan here, but I have 50g of Hallertau (Coppertun brand from local brew store, god knows how old it is) that I'm keen to get rid of. If I whacked half in halfway through the boil and the rest in at flame out would this be ok you think?

Rina

Reaction score
Should I cut this back to 20g maybe and put the other 20g in around half way through the boil?
Yes- definitely don't put in 40g at the end of the boil.

Rina

Reaction score
Should I cut this back to 20g maybe and put the other 20g in around half way through the boil?
Yes- definitely don't put in 40g at the end of the boil.

drsmurto

Reaction score
B Saaz is what the general consensus my homegrown chinook tastes like.

I wouldn't have any hesitation in adding several grams per litre at flameout in fact i suspect that is what is going to occur next weekend with a heap of fresh chinook straight from the bine :lol:

Definitely suited to pale ales, golden ales, amber/brown ales and IPAs.

RobboMC

Reaction score
Whilst 40g may be overdoing it in some people view,
a classic piece of advice from Palmer's book is 'try putting in half'

Then it will only taste half as bad, or half as good; and you can adjust your view for the next batch!

I expect you'll be pleaseantly suprised by the Cascade one. I've done a couple of full Cascade brews
and they come out veeerryy nice. Cascade is a nice hop IMHO.

Cheers

bconnery

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Hi

B-Saaz are not strictly suited to Pilseners. Normal Saaz is suited but they are two separate hops. B-Saaz is more fruity, a true pilsener has little fruitiness.

B-Saaz is more suited to fruity ales than a Pilsener so you will be fine.

Mark
I disagree completely with this. B-Saaz is a great pilsner hop. Sure not if you want to make a bohemian pilsener but it suits what is often referred to as a new world pilsner beautifully.
Not a Saaz clone by any means but not just a hop for pale ales at all.
A number of lovely pilsners from NZ and Oz are using it.

Marc One

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, that palmers half philosophy will be kept in mind for future brews. Good advice.

Robbo, I tasted the cascade pale when I was taking the SG and even then I could tell its going to be good. It will be the first brew through my newly acquired keg set up as well. Cant wait!

Malted

Humdinger
Reaction score
B Saaz is what the general consensus my homegrown chinook tastes like.
I wouldn't have any hesitation in adding several grams per litre at flameout in fact i suspect that is what is going to occur next weekend with a heap of fresh chinook straight from the bine :lol:
Definitely suited to pale ales, golden ales, amber/brown ales and IPAs.
+1
Terrific in a Pale Ale- go for it.

Stick your nose in the bag, let that guide you.

Edit: Less is more? Rubbish, less is less.

Latest posts