Using All Dried Malts In An Extract Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmmmmm, I love the way my drunken brain works......

I just started to wonder....Could I do AG in a tiny little two bedroom apartment??

Then the ideas started to flow, buy an urn off evilbay, perfect for HLT...Throw in a cheap esky, and then comes the fun part, the boil....

I wonder, could I bring a full batch to the boil if I had a pot wide enough to straddle all four gas burners on the stove??

I just started to wonder....Could I do AG in a tiny little two bedroom apartment??

I wonder, could I bring a full batch to the boil if I had a pot wide enough to straddle all four gas burners on the stove??

Of course you can. I dare you to. If the missus complains, blame it on me. Ex wives are my specialty.
Just 2 should be enough. :lol:

Ahhhh, but if I show her me saving money doing AG vs Partials???

That said, she got her job offer letter today for her graduate position starting next year..... :D

This makes me a happy man.....

On the topic, I was looking at this 80L al pot.... Need to find the measuring tape tomorrow (i.e. once sober) and measure the stove size and clearance for the overhead cupboards....

mmmmmm, I love the way my drunken brain works......

Then the ideas started to flow, buy an urn off evilbay, perfect for HLT...Throw in a cheap esky, and then comes the fun part, the boil....

And just think of the loss to evaporation. :huh: However what about a small AG, I was looking at a recipe in the DB and found a recipe that looked low on the grain bill until I saw the batch size, 11 litre. Got me thinking, and now my brain hurts. Small batch to see what all the fuss is about and the chance to try more beer styles.

More work for smaller but tastier return, Yes.
An intro to AG, Yes.
Able to manage in the kitchen, yes.

food/beer for thought. ^_^

Cheers
Gavo

mmmmmmmmm, evap, ugly idea......

Small batch is tempting I must say, might consider once I have spare fermenter......

Still, I reckon the good old stove can handle a big boil, I had 11L going in a 15L pot straddling one big burner and one little one the other day.....

Ahh, nothing like a three ring wok burner on my five burner gas stove 9 litres to the boil in less than 15 min. By the way good link for the pot I like the 40 litre Robinox. Postage to rural QLD. <_<

Cheers
Gavo.

:lol:

Strong, are you, young luke, but wary of the dark side be.... :lol:

mmmmm, perhaps you should see my stove........

it's old, like the dials have NO markings, it's all guess work, the oven is lit by a manual sparker operated by a handle inside the oven, same for the grille, the stove is done with a lighter.....

Only reason I can see me having trouble once I am setup will be the missus "You can buy yourself a big arse pot and drill a hole in the side?? Then you can buy me new saucepans....."

Only fair I guess.....

EDIT: Gavo, got link to that recipe so I may observe it??

EDIT part duex: I just checked where said place is.....Roughly a 10min drive from here :D........Think I just found my xmas pressie....

mmmmm, perhaps you should see my stove........

it's old, like the dials have NO markings, it's all guess work, the oven is lit by a manual sparker operated by a handle inside the oven, same for the grille, the stove is done with a lighter.....

:lol: Had a stove like that in my last house.
Only reason I can see me having trouble once I am setup will be the missus "You can buy yourself a big arse pot and drill a hole in the side?? Then you can buy me new saucepans....."

Offer to drill hole in the side of her pots too. :lol: Easy way to drain the veggies.

I wish you guys would stop putting ideas in my head. Now trying to think of which base malt/grain to buy for my first partial that WILL be happening in the next few weeks and the next few after that. ^_^

Cheers
Gavo.

Edit: No can't find the recipe, I knew I should have saved the link. Not really important as you could scale a recipe to suit.

Hehehehe, I'm in your head...... :p

I just need a tap and some insulation for my bucket in bucket and I am set.....Already have the recipe and needed order with HBS set in beersmith.....

And afterall, my current 15L pot can be hers, hell, I have already cooked an 8L batch of spag bol sauce in it......

And I have a couple of spare foodgrade buckets that I could throw a tap at and some clingwrap for mini fermenters too......

I so can't wait till I can get to a hardware store without my daughter in tow.....

Right, in the name of keeping all my crap in one thread and seeking advice again...

I built this recipe myself, based upon what I currently have in stock....This is to go into a fermenter once one is free......

\Type: Extract
Date: 17/11/2008
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Tim
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 61.54 % -flameout
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 30.77 % -start of boil
0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 6.15 % -steep 30mins
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) (1477.5 EBC) Grain 1.54 % -steep 30mins
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.62 %
Bitterness: 27.9 IBU
Est Color: 28.6 EBC

Completely open to comments.....I also have 65gm of Cascade in the freezer if I wanted to go cross Atlantic....

The real issue now is what the hell can I do with the 2.25kg of dex sitting in my box of stuff? Will take AGES to use it all for bulk priming...

Looks good to me, But I am only a few extracts ahead of you. Punched this one into Beersmith myself and got almost identical figures. What style are you after? It looks like and English special/best, therefore are you wanting all of that 0 min addition as it would add a fair hop aroma. I have just done one of these using EKG an NS hops at 60 and 30 min. If I do it again I do a small addition at 15 min to balance the malt a little more without adding a lot of hop aroma.

Cheers
Gavo

By the way I am buying a 60 litre Stock Pot from Ross next week. ;)

15g for a f/o is fine imho....don't forget, an english yeast will subdue hops to a degree anyway. Personally, I would change the 30 min addition to 20min, and just up the quantity enough to maintain IBU as-is.....20min is optimum for flav, it starts to degrade and break down after that. Oh, and swap the f/o from fuggle to ekg imho. Its a better late hop. Keep the 50/50 at the 15, though, that works really well.

wait...just noticed....15g of both at f/o. Keep the ekg, drop the fuggle for the f/o.

Just 2c

The real issue now is what the hell can I do with the 2.25kg of dex sitting in my box of stuff? Will take AGES to use it all for bulk priming...

I have pretty much the same weight of dextrose as well ! And considering I just arrived home with 1.5kg of LDME for my extract brew this weekend, I'm in the same boat, mate. But I'm going to add some dex to mine just for the hell of it. FYI Pollux if you need a local source of LDME, K-Mart Burwood (couple of train stops from you, yes?) sells the stuff for $5.50 per 1/2kg, which is $1.50 cheaper than Coles...... don't go rushing down there just yet though, I cleared their shelf of the stuff.

Then the ideas started to flow, buy an urn off evilbay,

40L Electric urn + bag = Brew in a bag (BIAB) which is what I am going to do in 3 weeks time.
Heaps of people doing it.

1134012008_birko.jpg

Edit: still use the dex, maybe 300g per brew. Commercial brewers put sugars in their worts and, if you are going for an Australian style lager, it will be 'true to style'. I've been sneaking some dex into recent partial brews and no problem.

Jase: I get mine for $8.17/kg from an online HBS............so no worries with that.....reminds me, must place an order soon....

Thanks for the advice re:hopping there gavo/butters, taken onboard. Although your post seemed a little confusing for a second there butters,

Should I read it as

@ 60mins: 15g each of EKG and Fuggles
@ 20mins: 20g each of EKG and Fuggles (This was the nearest round number that gave close enough IBUs in beersmith, still not a bad ratio of 59.5%)
@ F/O: 15g EKG only.

Just want to make sure my beer flooded brain is working right...

Although your post seemed a little confusing for a second there butters,

I had just finished putting a brew down, and was celebrating my triumphs, so I'm not surprised. :lol:

Should I read it as

@ 60mins: 15g each of EKG and Fuggles
@ 20mins: 20g each of EKG and Fuggles (This was the nearest round number that gave close enough IBUs in beersmith, still not a bad ratio of 59.5%)
@ F/O: 15g EKG only.

Just want to make sure my beer flooded brain is working right...

Yeah, thats it. For the 20, using 2 hops gives a good 'fulness' to the hop flavour, what one lacks the other makes up for imho. Fuggle is considered (by some) to be too grassy on f/o (i don't necessarily agree), but regardless, EKG is superior for aroma. For the 60 min, it doesn't matter one way or the other.
So what you have there looks like a winner. If you decide you want to up the IBU a little (although I probably wouldn't), make any further changes on the 60 minute addition only....that way the flavour and aroma amounts are locked in and set. ;)

Right, it's locked in now....

Although, I did take a page from the bribie handbook....and will be chucking in 300g of dex after the boil....

I figure it's 10% of the amount of malt extract afterall, so no major difference....

Back