Using All Dried Malts In An Extract Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beersmith is doing funky things, I just removed the Real Ale and put it back in IBU 31.8, Ratio 0.850.............I must have annoyed it...

Might up the LDME to 2.25kg, thats whats left in one of the bags, brings the OG up to 1.057, Ratio 0.555......That sounds more like my sort of bitterness level....

Theres also an option for 'add at end of boil', which is generally used in partial vol extract brewing...it's actually slightly buggy...in the brewsheet, it doesn't alter the BG at all, but in the main recipe itself (under the efficiency section) it does. As a matter of curiosity, I'll enter the recipe as given later tonight and compare results, if you want.

On the bitterness...0.55 is where I bitter my milds (I'm not a fan of bitter beer at all), but I think this might be better at 0.6-0.65, which is where I do my best bitters. Just a suggestion.

Would appreciate that muchly thanks butters...

I have altered it now

Type: Extract
Date: 9/11/2008
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Boil Time: 30 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 35.09 %
1.70 kg Coopers Original Series - Real Ale (37.8 EBC) Extract 59.65 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.51 %
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) (1477.5 EBC) Grain 1.75 %
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [Starter 25 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.037 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.59 %
Bitterness: 49.3 IBU
Est Color: 29.9 EBC

Although the brewsheet tells me to boil the kit for 60mins, basically pushing off any hop level that was in it to start with.....

Theres sfa hop flavour or aroma in the kit anyway, and the additions will more than make up for it. The bitterness will stay, though. I'll have a play later tonight in beersmith.

pollux, I got very different hop figures to you...are you set for pellets?

heres what I got.

TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 29.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 35.1 %
1.70 kg coopers real 23.4ibu (37.8 EBC) Extract 59.6 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.5 %
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) (1477.5 EBC) Grain 1.8 %
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 0.15 kg
----------------------------

Notes:
------
kit added at flameout, BG=1037

Note the difference on the hopping compared to yours....ahh, pennys dropped. You had all of the extract added post boil....I had the ldm boiled. Well, doing it that way gives you lower utilisation....in the case of upping the flavour on a kit, its not necessarily a bad thing. That way you can add more hop g/L, for flavour, and have less bitterness.

Given that you said you want 55% bugu...its not going to happen with this kit, at this grav. Even without the hops, the kit contributes 23.4IBU in 23L, which by itself is 60% bugu at 1039.....

You might want to try this instead:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 30.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 27.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
1.25 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 40.3 %
1.70 kg coopers real 23.4ibu (37.8 EBC) Extract 54.8 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.2 %
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) (1477.5 EBC) Grain 1.6 %
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 0.15 kg
----------------------------

Notes:
------
kit added at flameout, BG=1046 with ldm added at start of boil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This gives 65.7% BUGU, which I think is more what you're after...a little higher in grav perhaps, but that will help balance the additional couple of bugu points.

Oh, and on pre boil gravity in the brewsheet....beersmith has a glitch. When you put something to be added end of boil, it calculates the hopping correctly on the actual BG, and in the case of partials, has the correct BG in the efficiency tool, but for some wierd reason, the BG shown on the brewsheet is with all extracts added.....if you change the type from extract to partial, and then click on efficiency, it will show you the actual projected BG correctly. Gotta love the computer world.......

Anyway, hope this is more to your liking. ;)

Butters my man, you have once again outdone yourself.... Thanking you kindly, although, if you could do me one more favour and post up the file for the recipe so I can open it here and have a look at it and see where I went wrong, be most appreciated...

Also, higher gravity is fine with me, as I said, was tempted to toss in the 2.25 that's still in the 3kg bag in my box of bits.....

Jase: Given my profession....my maths is pretty good, more applying maths to practical world that needs work...... ;) That and learning all this on the run.....

Hey Pollux, have a good brew with the real ale and bits.
Funny thing about the kits, I have a real ale ATM brewed with the simple kilo of dextrose. Still finishing it off, man when I first tasted that some months ago I thought it was great. Now after doing a few extracts it tastes boring and watery. I had one more tin left and I have done with it what you are doing now, beefed it up heaps. Used some Czech Saaz, EKG and that great wyeast 3787 giveaway. Its in the fermenter now and smells great.

Cheers and good brewing
Gavo. :icon_cheers:

Still thinking about bumping the gravity a little, just have to work out how to balance it with the hops, and seeing as though beersmith and I are having 'issues' with each other right now, it could be a bit tricky........ :p

Just checked the contents of my HB box, fridge and freezer

Light Dry Extract 5.25 kg
Coopers Original Series - Real Ale 1.70 kg
Crystal (Joe White) 1.00 kg
Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) 0.50 kg
Cascade Hops 100.00 gm
Fuggles Hops 80.00 gm
Goldings, East Kent Hops 80.00 gm
Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 2.75 kg
Cooper Ale Yeast-Ale 2 Pkgs
SafAle S-04 3 Pkgs

If I can't make anything good out of that, something is wrong.....

How much do you want to bump the gravity by? You may need to only make a minor change.

I did the real ale with 1.1 kg of LDME and 500grams of Caramunich and ended up with 1051. I kept my bitterness right down and added a 7gr of Saaz and 6 gr of EKG at 5 min and the same at flameout.

Different style of course, but as I said the change may be minimal depending on the change in gravity.

Cheers
Gavo.

edit: It was a 20lt batch.

I could bump it to this level really.......

2.25 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 54.88 %
1.70 kg Coopers Original Series - Real Ale (37.8 EBC) Extract 41.46 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 2.44 %
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) (1477.5 EBC) Grain 1.22 %
50.00 gm Coopers Real Ale Can [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 29.9 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Bitterness: 36.3 IBU
Est Color: 32.4 EBC

I like a bit of body and malty sweetness......... :D

BTW, like the creative way I included the IBUs from the Real Ale?? only way I could get it semi-accurately......Bitterness Ratio of 63.4%

For some reason I can't edit my post again so I'll make a new one....

I have buckets!!!

Buckets_003.JPG

One of which has already met my drill......
Buckets_004.JPG
mmmm, holey.........

Nice one. It will be very interesting to read about how you go with these, as I just eyed off about a hundred of the exact same pails at my place of work - dunno what they're filled with (but something to do with resurfacing an athletic stadium track - could be glue :rolleyes: ) but as soon as I see them emptied I'll be sussing them out

Looks like the attack of Mr Happy drill. :p I read that In Palmers too, should work well, simple and effective. Good to see you didn't go right to the outside.

Oh by the way, I have a manifold. :)
Tun.JPGManifold.JPG

Had a look at the extra malt in beersmith. If you up the 15min addition of Cascade to 20grams you should be on the money. ;)

Cheers
Gavo.

Nice one. It will be very interesting to read about how you go with these, as I just eyed off about a hundred of the exact same pails at my place of work - dunno what they're filled with (but something to do with resurfacing an athletic stadium track - could be glue :rolleyes: ) but as soon as I see them emptied I'll be sussing them out

Mine were previous filled with liquid malt, they have been washed and still smell malty.........mmmmmm.......

Gavo: Shininess :p I'll have a look in beersmith and see what my numbers come out at......

Well, it's in the damn fermenter now..... :p

End recipe was

1.25 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 30.52 % - Flame out
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 24.32 % - Start of boil
1.70 kg Coopers Original Series - Real Ale [Boil for 1 min] Extract 41.51 % -Flame out
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 2.43 % -Steep 30mins
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) (1477.5 EBC) Grain 1.22 % -Steep 30mins
120.00 gm RA Kit - Hop Value [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 14.3 IBU -Ignore this, it was purely to workout IBU calcs.......
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.6 IBU

Had some friends around for lunch, the husband of the couple also does HB, although K+K (Coopers Dark Ale + Coopers brewing sugar @ 27deg), got him to help with everything.....

He was shocked at the cost of my batch compared to his, but when I gave him a glass of one I did a few months back (Coopers C.blonde+BE1+500g LDME +1kg honey in total) he was most impressed......

Not sure I'll convert him just yet, but I'm working on it......

Good work Pollux, lets see cost vs taste, taste wins. Don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Gavo.

if you could do me one more favour and post up the file for the recipe so I can open it here and have a look at it and see where I went wrong, be most appreciated...

somehow missed this thread the other night (heavy drinking brew day probably had something to do with this ;) )
heres the file that I created at the time of my prior post - I haven't made any changes to it since then, so compare it to your original, and then have a play with it.
View attachment 22407

You referring to the place in the Marrickville Community Centre ? I've been considering popping down there for a while to get a whole bunch of plastic pails that I saw there a year ago. Need some for gardening stuff storage (soil etc) but they would be bloody handy as a secondary as well. I'de imagine if they have them down there theyde sell for a dollar or two each......

I'd be scared using these from Reverse Garbage (I live about 3 mins walk away) there is little way of knowing what they had in them previously. I got one for my GF ages ago as a compost unit, but that is about as far as I'd go... And... the thought has crossed my mind a few times to use them for beer. Just get the $16 bunning BWS plastics ones, they are great for beer.

Gavo: My favourite point was where I pulled out the 2.25 LDME onto the bench and he asked, "Is that all going in?" At which point I went, "Yeap, $18 worth"........Then he asked about batch price......$38 odd.......ehhhhh, still cheaper than buying commercial.....

Butters: Thanks man, will look at once sober myself............

Gavo: My favourite point was where I pulled out the 2.25 LDME onto the bench and he asked, "Is that all going in?" At which point I went, "Yeap, $18 worth"........Then he asked about batch price......$38 odd.......ehhhhh, still cheaper than buying commercial.....

Yep all good fun and way better than commercial.

Back