Using All Dried Malts In An Extract Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When looking at hop ratios, either BUGU or BV, if you're using dex, leave it out of the equations when doing the ratios, because it ferments out fully with no residual sweetness to offset the hopping; ie if the malt component comes to 1048, and you hop it to 60%BUGU, when you add dex and up the grav to say 1052 (for example), don't up the hops to maintain 60% of 1052....leave it as 60% of 1048.....

if this makes sense.

I get ya....Kind of....... :p

I understand, i set my recipes first, balance the hops and get my BUGU worked out, then put the dex in......

Once I have this pile down to under 1.5kg, then I'll just drop it anyways...

I get ya....Kind of....... :p

I understand, i set my recipes first, balance the hops and get my BUGU worked out, then put the dex in......

Once I have this pile down to under 1.5kg, then I'll just drop it anyways...

Yep, with the dex in at the end of the boil, or into the fermenter itself.

Same thing applies with kits and bits...if you use bugu, it's only relevant for the gravity that results from sugars that leave residual sweetness. Hops=flavour/bitterness, and you balance with sugars that leave flavour/sweetness at the end of fermentation...dex and matodextrin add alcohol and body respectively, neither contributes either flavour or residual sweetness at the end of the fermentation - so as a result, neither one will balance a bitter tin. ;)

Right, lets bring this rather helpful thread back from the grave....

I was testing out some recipe ideas in Beersmith earlier...

Tell me, in my attempt to clear out older stock, have I gone insane??

Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 22.5 EBC E
stimated IBU: 41.6
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients: ------------
3.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 69.77 %
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 23.26 %
0.30 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 6.98 %
35.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
25.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

Think of it as a trans-atlantic devil brew....I can see this either being a great idea, or something undrinkable, and I can't find anything on here regarding combining these hops....That may be a sign. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fuggle and EKG is a marriage made in heaven...as for the cascade, It should go well. Not overly familiar with this hop, but I know it goes in combo with willamette a lot, and that is a fuggle variety....so you have earthy, grassy, and citrus all together...can't see any issue.

Right is locked in then.....

That will leave just 85gm of Cascade in the freezer...

I need some more malt.

Back