Using All Dried Malts In An Extract Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn it, reading and adding to this thread got me thinking about partials and mini-mashes. Now look what happened now I just bought a 15 litre water cooler to make a mini mash tun with, well actually SWMBO bought it for me. :p Really don't like the idea of holding the temp for an hour on the stove top.

Cheers
Gavo

Bahaha, I'm officially contagious....

Well, I thought I'd throw a shoutout on the local freecycle site for some foodgrade buckets...

Picked up some smaller ones this arvo, will be getting some that previously had 27kg of liquid malt in them on Saturday...

Step one complete.......Might need to add step 1a) insulate plasitc mashtun with yoga mat and duct tape...

This is starting to look like a race. :lol: No fare, you have a LHBS and I don't. :(

Cheers
Gavo

I have an online HBS :p

We are in the same boat....

Ok, were even. I'm in the big smoke, Brisvagas, in two weeks and looking at a 25kg buy of LDME. Can't come soon enough. :rolleyes: All I have to do then is buy my grains and other ingredients as I need them from online HBS.

Cheers
Gavo

Well, I thought I'd throw a shoutout on the local freecycle site for some foodgrade buckets...

You referring to the place in the Marrickville Community Centre ? I've been considering popping down there for a while to get a whole bunch of plastic pails that I saw there a year ago. Need some for gardening stuff storage (soil etc) but they would be bloody handy as a secondary as well. I'de imagine if they have them down there theyde sell for a dollar or two each......

Pollux

If doing a partial with two kg of malt grain plus a bit of crystal or other speciality grains a perfect little container for about fifteen bucks is :

decor.JPG

It's an 8.5 litre Decor container, get it from any Woolies, fits snugly into my esky which is just the small one (about 30L I think). Mash the grain at 65 degrees or so in a hot water bath in the esky for an hour to an hour and a half, doing a couple of temperature adjustments with hot water if necessary.

Strain and sparge through big wire strainer $4 at Bobs Warehouse into a ten litre stockpot which I paid $12 for if I recall, and you're ready to hop and boil.

Low cost and bloody effective. No need to go too hi tech for partials.

Lets see, I have 15L pot (Just did a kit and bit in it to get rid of one of the real ale cans), 3 buckets sitting just next to me that may or may not be used to make a mashtun, depends on the quality of the free buckets I'll be getting on Saturday...I plan on following this recipe for my first partial and with 4kg of grain it might be an ask for that container.....Hence wanting the bucket in bucket system. I saw the idea on howtobrew, seems easy enough, so I'll do it.....

Jase: Nope, not reverse garbage (Did I mention I'm not allowed in there alone.....Something about my ability to horde :huh:) , but freecycle, think ebay/trading post, but no money changes hands, you want to get rid of something, you post it up, one man's trash is another man's treasure...It's a yahoo group, hit up google and you will find it.

Lets see, I have 15L pot ............and with 4kg of grain it might be an ask for that container.....Hence wanting the bucket in bucket system. I saw the idea on howtobrew, seems easy enough, so I'll do it.....

Pollux, not trying to rain on your parade but with four kilos of grain, which is virtually an all grain brew quantity your 15L pot isn't going to cut it when you go to boil the resulting wort from the first runnings plus spargings . For that quantity you are looking at more like a 25 to 30 L pot, with a gas burner etc. as 15L would be the limit to what you can boil on an ordinary stove top. I'm currently getting into All grain with a 40L electric boiler arriving soon and that's going to handle it fine, but not 15L.

The mash in a bucket in bucket should be ok, but for 4 kilos of grain mashed even at a ratio of 1 kilo to 2 litres of water then batch sparged a couple of times you are going to end up with over 20 litres of wort to boil.

Our resident maths man Butters advised me on my current 10L pot setup and we agreed that 2kg of grain would be pushing it to the limit, which has turned out to be fairly accurate. Suggest you drop your grain to say 2.5 kg or 3 at the most for your proposed set up. I see Butters has posted on this thread and may be able to do some number crunching for you as well.

However you can do a very nice partial brew with 2Kg or a tad more of grain malt and use LDME to make up the rest of the fermentables.

Cheers

Michael

4kgs of grain is actually a bigger grain bill than what I use for many of my AG's :eek:

Bribie is right about 2kg being a good amount. To give an example, at 70% efficiency for the grain portion
2kg base grain + 1.5kg lme should give you an og of 1039 in 23L. From that, the breakup of the contributions to the fermentables is 48.3% for the grain, and 51.7% for the lme.

For a higher grav, say 1051, this can be achieved by adding 750g ldme. This still gives a 36.8% contribution to fermentables from the grain. IMHO, 25% grain contribution is good, 33% is great, 50% is excellent, and any higher, you might as well move over onto AG.

From the perspective of water requirements, for 4kg, boiled in a 15L pot, you would be stretching the friendship at anything more than 12L in the boil (unless you want to spend all afternoon cleaning boilovers off your stovetop.)
For a 12L boil size, with a mash at 2.5L/kg, you would be sparging with less than 2L/kg water, which would make it very inneficient. Added to that, the BG would be 1072, which would lower utilisation of the hops significantly. It's basically the same as trying to do a 10L AG batch for abrew that would have an OG of 1082....and when you start talking about those numbers, you're efficiency drops through the floor. For a 12L boil, anything above 2.5kg is going to start giving you efficiency issues; if you can get more in the pot without boiling over (which to a large degree will depend on its diameter), you could go as high as 3kg.

So short version is, Bribie is bang on with his estimate of 2.5-3kg of grain.

It would appear my maths does suck..... <_<

Right, lets knock that back to 2-2.5kg of grain, I see I failed to actually link to the recipe I referred to, I am gifted....

Right, so lets say I want to follow this recipe for my first partial, butters, you numbers guru you, how would you suggest adjusting the numbers to make it work?

Bribie is right about 2kg being a good amount. To give an example, at 70% efficiency for the grain portion

Sorry to interrupt again buut this seems as good a thread as any to chime in..... so to get this straight, for every kilogram of grain used by the method discussed, you would yield 700 grams of fermentable malt equilavlent to the same character of LDME ? That seems a high figure, as I would have thought the dry weight of grain would be measure least half of unwanted husks and other fibrous matter.......

And if all-grain is the goal for Pollux with his 15l pot capacity, why not do two batches back to back then add the results of both to the one fermenter ?

4kgs of grain is actually a bigger grain bill than what I use for many of my AG's :eek:

Bribie is right about 2kg being a good amount.

I was thinking this myself last night and I was hoping those with the experience would give their opinion. I can only boil 8 - 9 litres max at present and was thinking a grain bill of around 1.8 kg would give a pre-boil gravity of around 1044. I can add LDME to make up the rest of the fermentables.

I am thinking that with that recipe you would replace about 2kg of the traditional ale malt with another 1.1 kg of LDME therefore giving a grain bill of 2 kg. I am interested what those in the know will say, Butters :ph34r: . As mentioned in this thread before, I am on the same ground as Pollux here and taking the step to Partials.

Cheers
Gavo

I'm glad my thread is being so useful to others.....

Spent this morning playing with Beersmith, is most interesting...

It would appear my maths does suck..... <_<

Right, lets knock that back to 2-2.5kg of grain, I see I failed to actually link to the recipe I referred to, I am gifted....

Right, so lets say I want to follow this recipe for my first partial, butters, you numbers guru you, how would you suggest adjusting the numbers to make it work?
Gavo is right with what he's saying, for sure. There are a few ways that it can be done, basically, as gavo said, replace the jw trad ale with enough ldme to up the grav to the same amount. For me, I would make it an even 2kg of ldme, and reduce the trad ale down to 1.2kg. (edit - this would give 2.6kg of grain, which you should be able to do on the equipment discussed). I personally wouldn't go further down on the JW trad; if I wanted to reduce the grain further, I would start replacing some of he wheat with dry wheat malt, so that from a grain perspective, the trad ale is equal or greater than the wheat grain.

Sorry to interrupt again buut this seems as good a thread as any to chime in..... so to get this straight, for every kilogram of grain used by the method discussed, you would yield 700 grams of fermentable malt equilavlent to the same character of LDME ? That seems a high figure, as I would have thought the dry weight of grain would be measure least half of unwanted husks and other fibrous matter.......

And if all-grain is the goal for Pollux with his 15l pot capacity, why not do two batches back to back then add the results of both to the one fermenter ?
jase, you can do 2 batches side by side,, and then blend into the fermenter; particularly if it was no chilled and hotpacked. But you would need to do the 2 mashes seperately. If you do a mash, and have more than you can boil, then the left over that is waiting around starts to run into issues with continued enzyme activity, and the risk of infection increases (although for me, its the continuation of the enzyme in the liquor that is the bigger problem of the two.) There was a thread about not mashing straight after the boil in the AG threads recently. Leaving it just long enough to do back to back boils isn't that much of an issue, but it is something that needs to be considered.

With the grains yield, all grains have different yield potential, and there are various scales for this. But basically, the grain weight is mainly the endosperm, the husks weigh next to nothing. The actual yield depends on 2 factors. The potential, and the efficiency. For the trad ale, the potential is 80%, and at 75% efficiency, the yield would be potential x efficiency x weight which is 0.6 kg extract weight per kg of grain. This is not to be confused with the weight of extract, extract weight refers to the weight of the actual fermentable. 1kg of ldme has an extract weight of 920-970g (depending on manufacturer and processes used) because even 'dry' extract has a proportion of water and other non fermentables in it. If interested, have a read of Palmers how to brew (I think its chapter 12), where he discusses potentials for various grains, and how to calculate gravities manually from that.

If I;m not careful, some of you buggers are going to come over to the dark side :lol:

Edit: if your efficiency is lower, it just means that you will be short on gravity...you have 3 options there. 1/ add more ldme to bring the gravity back up. 2/reduce the volume (by not adding as much water into the fermenter at the end), thereby bringing the grav back up, and adjust your hop weights to give you the same IBU for the new volume, or 3/ go with the slightly lower grav, and reduce the IBU to keep it in the same BU:GU ratio. IBU/OG = BUGU, and in this case it is 69%. So the IBU required would be 69% of the OG.

Has this become a race??? :p

I should be working on mine this weekend too, once I have my big buckets :D

Butters: Thanks for that, now to smack those numbers into beersmith and see what happens...Actually, speaking of that software...I think I may have stuffed up somewhere with a recipe I copied from another forum somewhere....

Type: Extract
Date: 9/11/2008
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 10.00 L
Boil Time: 30 min
Equipment: 23L fermenter + 15L pot

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 35.09 %
1.70 kg Coopers Original Series - Real Ale (37.8 EBC) Extract 59.65 %
0.10 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3.51 %
0.05 kg Wheat, Roasted (Joe White) (1477.5 EBC) Grain 1.75 %
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [Starter 25 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.037 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.59 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 49.3 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 29.9 EBC
Now, according to Beersmith and using Tinseth as the bitterness formula, that comes out with a bitterness ratio of 1.319 <_< I did some research on ratios and that seems awfully high to me.....Perhaps I should rethink that one :icon_cheers:

Has this become a race??? :p

I should be working on mine this weekend too, once I have my big buckets :D

Butters: Thanks for that, now to smack those numbers into beersmith and see what happens...Actually, speaking of that software...I think I may have stuffed up somewhere with a recipe I copied from another forum somewhere....

Now, according to Beersmith and using Tinseth as the bitterness formula, that comes out with a bitterness ratio of 1.319 <_< I did some research on ratios and that seems awfully high to me.....Perhaps I should rethink that one :icon_cheers:

I dont even need to put it into beersmith to know that beer is way too bitter for my blood....just saying 'add 16IBU to a coopers Real at 1037' is enough to make me cringe...but to each their own.

Beersmith is doing funky things, I just removed the Real Ale and put it back in IBU 31.8, Ratio 0.850.............I must have annoyed it...

Might up the LDME to 2.25kg, thats whats left in one of the bags, brings the OG up to 1.057, Ratio 0.555......That sounds more like my sort of bitterness level....

Pollux, check the brewsheet for the pre-boil gravity. When you add in a malt you can then double click on the malt addition and check the add after boil box, this will change the preboil gravity and the bitterness level.

If it is a race then it is a good and friendly one. :)

Cheers
Gavo

Back