Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

My brew set-up is probably one of the least sanitary out there.

I havent sanitised a keg for years. :eek:

All I am saying is that unfermented wort (hopped or not) is the perfect growth medium for ALL sorts of bugs.

Nothing worse than a days work down the drain :(

Flip Flop

pumpy :(

Well I got up this morning, went outside to find an uncleaned kettle :blink: and two No Chill Worts of Doctors Orders Weizen :beerbang:

Doc

Hey Doc, it looks as though your containers are 25 litre jobs. Where did you get them?

Lindsay.

Anyone not a Croweater, wouldn't realise that Darren is one of Adelaide's most respected HBers. We actually belong to the same informal brew group and on a number of occasions he has drunk my poisonous no-chill beer :lol: .

What's that analogy regarding two birds (or should that be crows) with the one stone? B)

Warren -

Hey Doc, it looks as though your containers are 25 litre jobs. Where did you get them?

Lindsay.

Lindsay, they look like the 15-17 litre "fresh Wort" cubes to me.
my first cube i ever bought has been my best...!
a blue 25 Litre job from Daves Homebrew in nth sydney. they are the more upright rectangular ones. Much better than the Big W square ones, which i find too thin.

We devious Vics can get the 25 litre HPDE ones for $15. Strong little buggers. Secret location known only by Devo and I. That's if Devo hasn't gotten greedy and bought 'em all. :lol:

Actually the place is Plastics and Storage Warehouse in Strathmore. They can also be had for similar prices from a lot of Vietnamese Cheap Charlie shops. ;)

Warren -

DSC01592.JPG

Hey Lindsay,

They are 17.5 litre ones (ESB/ND Fresh Wort kits).
I do have a couple of 22.5 litre ones from the Hills Brewers Braidwood Brewday, that will be getting work out shortly for the single batch Belgians.

Beers,
Doc

We devious Vics can get the 25 litre HPDE ones for $15. Strong little buggers. Secret location known only by Devo and I. That's if Devo hasn't gotten greedy and bought 'em all. :lol:

Actually the place is Plastics and Storage Warehouse in Strathmore. They can also be had for similar prices from a lot of Vietnamese Cheap Charlie shops. ;)

Warren -

$12 from my local soap supply joint in Kilsyth...

In the US, 30 cases means you have a 1 in 10 million chance it happening. Are all 30 cases typically fatal?

Even so it hardly rates a mention on this chart:

odds_dying.jpg

I love this zizzle. There's a 1 in 10,000,000 chance of botulism poisoning, and a 1 in 10,000 chance of dying from alcohol poisoning. <_<

So, we shouldn't be afraid of no-chilling. We should be afraid of drinking beer at all, just like Geoffi says! :p

I suggest you give up drinking alcohol immediately. It is clearly far too risky an activity for any rational person to engage in.

I have to admit that I started off skeptical about no-chill, but have come over to the dark-side. :ph34r: It just makes brew-day seem that much easier and this thread (and other no-chillers) has convinced me that there's no reason not to.

(And I'm not giving up drinking beer anytime soon!) :chug:

We stock & sell them at my work, have pallet loads of 20 & 25lt cubes.

Cant tell you my cost cause you would have trouble handing over ya cash for them next time :p

Do you know how many people have become ill from botulism in canned wort? My understanding is that the answer is zero. Zilch. Nada.

So, if this is true, should it have any effect on the hysteria?

Compare with global warming; find for me a reputable, scientific study that proves global warming is taking place (neglecting natural climate fluctuations). Lots of hype though.

All I am saying is that unfermented wort (hopped or not) is the perfect growth medium for ALL sorts of bugs.

Nothing worse than a days work down the drain :(

I believe I avoid infections by using this method for the following reasons:

1. I can get a strong starter going at my leisure. When the starter is firing, away we go. No big lagtime in the fermenter.
2. I can really splash the wort into the fermenter, giving it a good dose of aeration.
3. The wort starts at high gravity, so the alcohol level quickly builds up and the hop acids are high too. I dilute at bottling time only.

Hand's up who eats a couple of day's old cold pizza (BBQ Chicken) with no chill beer to wash it down. :D

I only eat aged pizza. I've converted an old oak wine barrel into a pizza ageing barrel. I buy my friday night pizzas on wednesday night, age them two days and voila! Oakey, two day old pizza. Nothing better.

Flip Flop
pumpy :(

No flip flop pumpy

Its the old 80/20 rule:

That is, 20% of the process causes 80% of the problems. Unfortunately, you and a few vocal others are siding with the problematic 20%.

Still no-one has answered how they wash their equipment?

Warren, you are the first to jump down someones throat but rarely offer anything but a page full of smilies and me too's :party: . How do you wash your kegs, MT, boiler?

Just a dribble here a dribble there? You know that doesnt wash a boiler of tun emptied of grain.

Are you running a false economy wasting to wash but also missing the benefit if INSTANT fermentability?

cheers

Darren

I know this probably isn't the best time and all... :unsure:

I'm only a relatively recent all grainer and I've no-chilled the lot. I'm definitely interested in having an immersion or CFC as an option too.

So, apologies for the hijack, but are there any local brewers (Melbourneish) who would want to part with their chiller for the right price? I'm happy to pay (I'm not really cashed up) and pick up.

Apologies for tip-toeing into the mine field! A mass debate if ever I saw one :p

Cheers, whatever your method.
Dave

No flip flop pumpy

Warren, you are the first to jump down someones throat but rarely offer anything but a page full of smilies and me too's :party: . How do you wash your kegs, MT, boiler?

Just a dribble here a dribble there? You know that doesnt wash a boiler of tun emptied of grain.

Are you running a false economy wasting to wash but also missing the benefit if INSTANT fermentability?
cheers

Darren

Darren, that must mean that I wash everything with a lemming. <_<

FWIW. Oh ranting one. I pull apart my kegs after each brew and soak them in boiling water and 3 teaspoons of Napisan. (Anal enough for you?) Put them back together and add 5ml of Iodophor and 5 litres of water and shake it around on and off for around 30 minutes. Drain and fill with beer.

As for the mashtun. Grain is dumped (tun is converted keg), FB is pulled out. Grain residue is hosed out then inside is wiped with green scourer.

Boiler is aluminium. After wort is drained to NO CHILL CUBES probably smart enough even in your pissed addled, paranoid state Darren to realise even wallies like you wouldn't take a scourer to an ally pot. (trust you have no issues there?)

Hope that's germ proof enough for you Howard Hughes. Hope I haven't jumped down your throat. At least I offer a lot more than your negative shit! :angry:

Good night bitter pill. :p

Warren -

Its the old 80/20 rule:

That is, 20% of the process causes 80% of the problems.

Or... the 99/1 rule in your case Darren...
1% causing 99% of the problems.

ps. we should all remember this thread was set up for "users" of the No Chill method to discuss their processes etc.

:)

Back