Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we rename this thread how to upset Darren .

It is unkind to continue .

there is 'No Thrill' to reading about 'No Chill' any more

Please Bury it :)

How about we make a thread called "users of the no-chill" and make it only for users of the no-chill, not a knockers of the no-chill.

cheers

Browndog

There was a case of botulism reported today in The Age, after a 25 year old man was paralysed following eating pre-packaged nachos: http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/man...1405487605.html

No link to no-chilling was mentioned in the article... :p

Obviously someone thought that years of microbiological research was a waste of time and then decided that a few short-cuts wouldn't hurt anyone :p

Oh yeah Warren, sounds like you wasted a lot of water filling your kegs :)

Pumpy, I am not upset. I cop this sort of questioning everyday. Just popping it back to keep ya thinking.

cheers

Darren

After reading that im a bit concerned.

"Symptoms of botulism include blurred vision, tiredness and dizziness followed by respiratory distress and paralysis."

That sounds familiar. :blink:

Seriously though, how would thos nachos be packaged? If they were contaminated by this stuff wouldnt it be evident by swelling?

After reading that im a bit concerned.

"Symptoms of botulism include blurred vision, tiredness and dizziness followed by respiratory distress and paralysis."

That sounds familiar. :blink:
Seriously though, how would thos nachos be packaged? If they were contaminated by this stuff wouldnt it be evident by swelling?

Might have been some residual botulinum toxin, may not have been the spore itself that caused the problem. If it were toxin heating above 80C would have fixed it. I reckon be wary of any sauce that doesn't come in a jar with a safety lid!

*bump*

I was just thinking how this chilling method has changed my brewing habits; the last few brews I have done have all been late-hopped solely in the cube with the hot wort. It'd given some lovely hop aroma and flavour and is definitely convenient, I can just boil till I reach target gravity.

Also, the last two brews I have thrown the whirlfloc in the cube as well. You know, that quarter tab I always forget to add at 15 minutes. Not sure if it really works as well like that but I have 50 tablets so may as well use 'em.

Quote Darren:So the question that I ask is: How are you guys cleaning all that equipment? Where is that water going? What sort of volumes of water are you using to do it in bits and pieces rather than all at once?

I've actually done this before and found the the amount of water required to chill my wort far exceeded the water required for clean up.

I've also been using the no chill method for some time now and using my tank water to clean up.

Devo

Quote Darren:So the question that I ask is: How are you guys cleaning all that equipment? Where is that water going? What sort of volumes of water are you using to do it in bits and pieces rather than all at once?

I've actually done this before and found the the amount of water required to chill my wort far exceeded the water required for clean up.

I've also been using the no chill method for some time now and using my tank water to clean up.
Devo

Hey Devo, don't stir him up. Lets keep this thread to the users of the no-chill. I'd be interested to know of any users of the no-chill method, have had any problems with chill haze.

cheers

Browndog

No probs with chill haze for me but it's a bit difficult to tell. I've only done a porter and a couple of pales with 50/50 ale/wheat malt. Obviously, the porter, being quite dark, makes it difficult to assess any haze issues. The pales should probably look hazey with the wheat they contain.

I have had problems with my bittering levels though. I used quite a bit of hops in the first pale and being left at such high temps overnight meant the beer urned out a lot more bitter than expected. I adjusted by not doing a 60 minute addition and putting less in at flameout.

The very first NC I did was 50% Pils and 50% Wheat. No chill haze for me in that beer.
Have done another five NC's since then, but only one other has made it to a keg and it is an Oatmeal Porter :p

Doc

I have had problems with my bittering levels though. I used quite a bit of hops in the first pale and being left at such high temps overnight meant the beer urned out a lot more bitter than expected. I adjusted by not doing a 60 minute addition and putting less in at flameout.

Unless your hops are going through into your cube, this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Cheers Ross

Unless your hops are going through into your cube, this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Cheers Ross

Perhaps stale old yukky hops from a shop without a nice coolroom,my guess anyway Ross

Batz

Sorry, I should have explained before.

I don't use a cube. I chill in my kettle and rack to a fermenter the next morning.

And yes, I am aware of all the negative affects that this practice may or may not have on the finished product.

I have No-chilled alot of my recent brews and have had 2 batches that were a little cloudy even after filtering and treating with polyclar; I'm not sure if this had anything to do with the No-chill or not as I had run out of gypsum so that may have been a contributing factor. The majority of batches though have been crystal clear.

I have also noticed a lack of aroma when no chilling, even with considerable flameout additions, I transfer at near boiling point, simply add the aroma hops, re-circulate a few liters of wort through the hop sock and leave for 20minutes, then transfer to jerry can which then gets dumped into the swimming pool to cool. The temp at transfer would be around +90c. I leave in the pool until it's fairly cool (for a few hours in pool) then straight into the fridge to chill to pitching temp.
Another possibility for cloudy or hazey beer could be the trub that gets transferred to the fermenter (I dump the lot in, everything thats in the jerry can).

If I want a big hop aroma I've found that I need to dry hop in secondary or end of primary.

AC

Have you tried adding the late hops to the jerry, claret? I started doing that because I didn't like the notion of flameout hops only being in contact with the wort for a couple minutes (the time it takes to rack).

I kegged another No Chill beer last night.
The latest batch of Aidans Irish Red. Observations going into the keg were, the beer is a lot clearer and the beer attenuated an extra 4 points. Now it took me six or so brews to perfect the recipe, which I now brew over and over and I always get consistent results. This in the first NC version, so that should be the only new variable. As for the taste... superb. One of the best AIR's I've done.
I'm an convert.

Doc

Have you tried adding the late hops to the jerry, claret? I started doing that because I didn't like the notion of flameout hops only being in contact with the wort for a couple minutes (the time it takes to rack).

The answer is simple... See pic. B)

{Note does not work for pellets}

gallery4274719724vb3.jpg

Warren -

Sexy, warren. However my way is simpler and I'm a simple man so it works for me.

Latest posts

Back