Users Of The "no Chiller Method"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also managed to get my bottle brush into it as well, but the mark was actually on the outside :p

Doc

And just to be different, I use napisan. Also works a treat on the same fresh wort kit cubes. I was told that those are actually 17.5L to the brim.

Glad to see you crossing over to the dark side, Doc. Let us know how they go. :super:

Bleach is sodium hypochlorite.

Well done Doc, your CFWC will be mothballed in no time :party:

Cheers.

Bleach is sodium hypochlorite.

Well done Doc, your CFWC will be mothballed in no time :party:

Cheers.

Hey Duff,
Thanks for the SMS last night.
I'm sure It will still get some use when I want to pitch straight away, and when I'm using hopbacks. I have to use the pump for the hopbacks, so might as well chill anyway.
Definitely a good alternative, as I was able to get home from work, brew and still be in bed by midnight :p

Doc

Hey Doc, I love the no chill method but have never tried the double batch dillution method. What was your boil volume and SG? Did you boil down to 32 litres and then split into two different cubes? This seems like a great way to do a double batch with limited capacity.

Cheers, JJ

Hey Doc, I love the no chill method but have never tried the double batch dillution method. What was your boil volume and SG? Did you boil down to 32 litres and then split into two different cubes? This seems like a great way to do a double batch with limited capacity.

Cheers, JJ

Hey Jimmy, I have been doing this for the last 4 or so batches now, I simply setup beersmith with a new equipment profile that has a total of 40 litres with 10 litres of water top up at the end. Then set it up as usual.

I no chill into 2 cubes, 1 X 20 litre and 1 X 10 litre, works a treat!

I'm boiling in a 50 litre pot too, 45 litres which is a little bit of a struggle but only if you don't watch it, no boil over as yet, I skim and use a water bottle. Easy as.

If you only had a single batch fermenter you could just get 2 X 15 litre cubes and water them both down with 5 litres each.

42 Litres of Half Nelson APA. All done and dusted. Mashed in 6.30am cleaned up and fanging for a beer at 10am. Talk about quick.

Ran the hot wort through the hopback over a total of 80g of Nelson Sauvin Flowers. Bittered with a combination of Target at 60min and Amarillo and some Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin at 15 mins. :beerbang:

Should be nice 'n smelly. :rolleyes:

Warren -

DSC01758.JPG

Ok, next batch will be a double :beerbang: Maybe try Docs Kolsch Recipe

Cheers, JJ

Hey Jimmy, I have been doing this for the last 4 or so batches now, I simply setup beersmith with a new equipment profile that has a total of 40 litres with 10 litres of water top up at the end. Then set it up as usual.

I did a similar thing using Promash. Used the Dillution calculator to work out what my OG needed to be for the amout of water I was planning on diluting with.
Then scaled the recipe up using the scale button to get the OG, and all was good.

Beers,
Doc

I guess the list of "no-chillers" is bound to grow now that level 4 water restrictions are looming! Are there any heat exchanger ideas out there untilizing an old fridge'n' stuff ?

the list of no-chillers has shrunk by one person - I've decided there's too much DMS in my beers because of this method.

the list of no-chillers has shrunk by one person - I've decided there's too much DMS in my beers because of this method.

Are you using mainly euro/british malts NM? Haven't noticed it in the beers that i have used Joe White malts in (low levels of DMS precursor).

I had the same issue with a pilsner a while ago... But I had a fair head gap in the cube. However I pressed on and found that it was a one off.

I did a kolsch with a 80 to 90% pils malt and it was fine for dms.

No chill is still a good method for me

I did a no chill pilsner that displayed a little. OTOH I've done some immersion chilled and pond pump and ice chilled down to 14 degrees Pilsners that have had a little too.

So didn't really sway me a I guess. All my other no chills have been totally devoid of DMS. :chug:

Warren -

Out of interest, how long do you boil for, and do you do quite a vigourous boil ?

Brewed my second No Chill beer on Friday night. Got my volume and gravity perfect this time. Two 15 litre full cubes of Oatmeal Choc Porter.

Beers,
Doc

usually boil at least 90 mins, good rolling boil.
most of my beers have been fine, the ones with ale malt, or lots of hops to hide behind. but lately i've had a few made with weyermann pilsener in most of the grist that have had nasty vegetabley flavours and aromas in varying degrees. even my stout had a bovril taste that i put down to the collision of DMS and dark malts, like in burragorang bock for example.

I'm sure that there are other variables involved but it seems too much of a coincidence that my brewing practice has stayed the same except for nochill, and i've had a high incidence of DMS. makes sense to me seeing as DMS is continually produced at temps above 70C but only expelled by boiling.

so i'm getting the old coil out again - i want to look into plate chillers too once i can afford to get a new kettle with a tap.

I'm sure that there are other variables involved but it seems too much of a coincidence that my brewing practice has stayed the same except for nochill, and i've had a high incidence of DMS. makes sense to me seeing as DMS is continually produced at temps above 70C but only expelled by boiling.

It's not quite true that DMS is continually produced at temps above 70C. DMS can only be produced if there is the SMM precursor. No precursor and no matter how long it sits above 70C there will be no DMS via this pathway. Which is why I think people using Aussie malts with a low level of precursors and a good long boil have been successful with this method

lately i've had a few made with weyermann pilsener in most of the grist that have had nasty vegetabley flavours and aromas in varying degrees.

Bit surprised that it happened with Weyerman malts. Last year I made a number of pilsners using nothing other than Weyerman Pils and a small addition of Carapils, all no-chilled. I had no problems at all with off flavours. I assumed that Weyerman malts also must be low in SMM.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the vegetable falvours in your brews. Always a PIA when you've put time and effort into a brew for it to be less than you expected.

Cheers
MAh

i would think that if you're going to get dms from any malt you're going to get it from German pils malts. I never use Australian pilsener malt so I guess no-chilling is not a good technique for the beers I want to make. A little bit of dms is nice in a bock but by and large i'm not into the stuff.

I am surprised that nobody else has noticed the same thing, and that this procedure has reached the status of orthodoxy on this site.

Two 15 litre full cubes of Oatmeal Choc Porter.
Beers,
Doc

Off topic. But have you posted this recipe anywhere Doc? Sounds delicious. Autum will get here soon enough and the dark ales wil be flowing.

cheers
johhno

Back