Us Glass Fermenters - Where Can I Get One?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All.

I love to primary ferment in glass. I own a glass fermenter that I got from G&G years ago but it has these rooves on the outside and inside of it. After a ferment there is always crud in these grooves. If people own glass fermenters they will know what I mean.

On youtube and other US brewing sites I always see them using glass fermenters that are perfectly smooth inside and out - see attached image. They look awesome. Does anyone know where I can get one - or should I say how to get one?

Thank you!!

ready_2_rack.jpg

Hi All.

I love to primary ferment in glass. I own a glass fermenter that I got from G&G years ago but it has these rooves on the outside and inside of it. After a ferment there is always crud in these grooves. If people own glass fermenters they will know what I mean.

On youtube and other US brewing sites I always see them using glass fermenters that are perfectly smooth inside and out - see attached image. They look awesome. Does anyone know where I can get one - or should I say how to get one?

Thank you!!

Also - this is what my fermenter looks like - see the grooves?? Does my head in!!!!

grooves.jpg

mmm...I love glass too, would never go back to plastic. Mine is straight up and down with no grooves, but bought from a guy in Sydney off ebay so not sure where to source one.

With regard to cleaning, I soak in pbw overnight and all gunk just dissolves without scrubbing, so might be worth trying that

Is there a thread here on using glass carboys, including cleaning and syphoning etc? They look interesting.

Just be really careful with these suckers.

A while back, on a US forum, I was reading the woes of a guy who dropped one on a concrete floor while moving it. He ended up with beer everywhere, and shortly after he got over the shock of seeing beer all over the place, he realised that there was also blood all over the place.

From memory, he ended up spending a fair amount of time in hospital, and I think skin grafts may have been involved as well.

bear,

I have no idea were to get the smooth ones but if you ever want to sell the one you have now let me know.

I generally give mine a good soak in napisan and it cleans up great.

Also with the dangers of lifting them i got good advise from another brewer to wear them rubber gloves that you use to do the dishes with, they give you a great grip

Rook

I got mine from my LHBS, I think he got them through Brewcraft. I also scored one on ebay a while back came in at half the price of the new one. Mine are made in mexico and have 6 gallons/23litres written on the bottom.

Just be really careful with these suckers.

A while back, on a US forum, I was reading the woes of a guy who dropped one on a concrete floor while moving it. He ended up with beer everywhere, and shortly after he got over the shock of seeing beer all over the place, he realised that there was also blood all over the place.

From memory, he ended up spending a fair amount of time in hospital, and I think skin grafts may have been involved as well.

To each his own. But these things scare the shit out of me.

Anybody know if there's something similar in polycarbonate? Then you get the fun and fascination of fermentation TV, minus the 'whoops, smash, where's my foot?' factor.

To each his own. But these things scare the shit out of me.

Anybody know if there's something similar in polycarbonate? Then you get the fun and fascination of fermentation TV, minus the 'whoops, smash, where's my foot?' factor.

Not in PC, but in PET:

Better Bottles

www.better-bottle.com

They have an Australian distributor too. Your LHBS should be able to source them.

I use them for some beers, the best part is they are incredibly easy to clean. For some reason trub etc does not want to stick to the plastic. Last beer I brewed in one, the krausen ring just hosed off. I still soaked it in sodium percarb as a precautionary measure but I couldn't see any visible crud!

Thanks all for the advice.

These suckers can be dangerous but its totally worth it.

BTW - what the heck is PBW?

Grain and Grape stock them here.

Imported from Italy, I believe.
$59AUD.

reVox

To clean a carboy, either PBW (powdered brewery wash) or a 50/50 mix of OxiClean and TSP (tri sodium phosphate) will take the crud off, usually without scrubbing. Invest in a good brush and you can get them clean with just water and some scrubbing. I own both smooth and ribbed carboys and I can get either type clean.

Freemasha - the Fermentap isn't worth it. A friend bought one, used it once, and threw it away. Lots of issues with it, particularly the fact that the neck of a carboy isn't a 60 degree cone.

Most people I know use carboy handles to move them. Some others have discovered that plastic milk trays/boxes which are used to carry 2l milk containers are the perfect size to fit a carboy. Just don't ever try to move a wet carboy or with wet hands. Bad things can happen. Also, 'never be a hero'. The people who are injured by broken carboys are almost always the ones who tried to catch one after it slipped. The best thing you can do is just stand back and let nature take its course, sort of like if you drop a butcher knife in the kitchen. Just let 'er go.

Edit:
Grain and Grape stock them here.

Imported from Italy, I believe.
$59AUD.

:blink: They usually run ~$25 here. Occasionally a grocery chain called Superstore will get them in for ~$15.

Not in PC, but in PET:

Better Bottles

www.better-bottle.com

They have an Australian distributor too. Your LHBS should be able to source them.

I use them for some beers, the best part is they are incredibly easy to clean. For some reason trub etc does not want to stick to the plastic. Last beer I brewed in one, the krausen ring just hosed off. I still soaked it in sodium percarb as a precautionary measure but I couldn't see any visible crud!

Max size seems to be 22.5 litres, which is a bit limiting, but these still look great.

After having used two (grooved) ones for the past ten years what is it about the grooves that ails you? Is it the yeast/trub falling back into your beer when you rack or the cleaning problems?

Warren -

After having used two (grooved) ones for the past ten years what is it about the grooves that ails you? Is it the yeast/trub falling back into your beer when you rack or the cleaning problems?

Warren -

I just find that they collect crud and... I hate to say this.... They also dont look as nice as the smooth ones. :ph34r:

:lol: First person I've ever spoken to who's seen a glass carboy as an object d'art. Just soak them in warm water and 2 teaspoons of Napisan. The crud will only remain if you leave it there and allow it to do dry.

Warren -

To clean a carboy, either PBW (powdered brewery wash) or a 50/50 mix of OxiClean and TSP (tri sodium phosphate) will take the crud off, usually without scrubbing. Invest in a good brush and you can get them clean with just water and some scrubbing. I own both smooth and ribbed carboys and I can get either type clean.

Freemasha - the Fermentap isn't worth it. A friend bought one, used it once, and threw it away. Lots of issues with it, particularly the fact that the neck of a carboy isn't a 60 degree cone.

Most people I know use carboy handles to move them. Some others have discovered that plastic milk trays/boxes which are used to carry 2l milk containers are the perfect size to fit a carboy. Just don't ever try to move a wet carboy or with wet hands. Bad things can happen. Also, 'never be a hero'. The people who are injured by broken carboys are almost always the ones who tried to catch one after it slipped. The best thing you can do is just stand back and let nature take its course, sort of like if you drop a butcher knife in the kitchen. Just let 'er go.

Edit:

:blink: They usually run ~$25 here. Occasionally a grocery chain called Superstore will get them in for ~$15.

newguy, are those carboy handles OK to use with a 'full' carboy???

I have a 'grooved' one but I swear it only has grooves on the outside, I never noticed anything collect near them on the inside...

Latest posts

Back