US-05 instead of T-58

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarks6

Reaction score
Making a double batch of Belgian Ale (Leffe blonde clone) today, but only have enough T-58 for one batch.

Thinking of using US-05 in the other. Will ferment at 19 degrees.

How bad will that be?

I don't think it will be bad unless you are a terrible brewer and going to make it that way! You will just have a malty blonde ale with little to no ester and phenolic components to add character. Maybe you could use it as a chance to experiment and dry hop some small amounts of styrians or something? Just remember to tell yourself when you are drinking it that it is a nondescript 'ale'...and don't anticipate it having much of a any Belgian character. :icon_cheers:

edit - what he said haha.

You could use it as an opportunity to really get a sense of the way the two yeasts perform within the same recipe.

You could make a starter with the T58, that will get the numbers up.

If you're brewing the batch separately you could hop them differently and make a light coloured APA or American wheat.

If they're combined,do a stepped starter.

All great advice. Thanks very much everyone.

I will use it as an opportunity to see how each yeast contributes to the flavour. I have done the recipe a few times with T-58 and always get that authentic Belgian taste.

So, I'm not expecting much from the US-05, but hopefully it will be drinkable - and I'll call it something else.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Rummy

Back