Urn running costs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogshampoo

Reaction score
Hey guys can't find any posts on it so sorry if there is,

Thinking of getting a crown 40l urn for biab ,

My question is how much is urn cost to do a batch? , and how much compared to gas?

There's a couple of threads on gas vs electric. Basically your urn would pull 2.4 kw per hour (so consumption is 2.4kwh), times your electricity cost.

2.4 x 2.5 hours = 6 kwh
6 x $0.22 / kwh = $1.32 for a batch. Or thereabouts.

Assumed 1 hour ramp up, 1 hour boil and 0.5 hour equivalent for mash.

If you worked on an average of 2.5 hrs running time at 2400w = 6kw x whatever your tarrif cost is. It'll be less than $1.00 in most areas.

Gas running costs would vary from burner to burner. One of mine costs me over $14.00 per brew just on the kettle.(large mongolian)

Martin

If you have a fairly modern HWS running on offpeak, I would draw your mash liquor from the hot tap, it's almost there. I've taken out medals with hot water .. after turning it into beer of course. Also it's had nearly all the chlorine driven off.
Then only about 1.5 - 2 hours urn use.

Too many variables to calculate. Depends on your starting temperature, how long the element is on ( it may cut in and out even when heating) ambient temperatures, lid on or off, using it to maintain temp or just to get there etc. I would expect it to be cheaper than LPG but that also depends on how much you pay for a refill and how efficient your burner is.
Your biggest energy user is refrigeration. Improve that and what you save will more than pay for the urn running costs.

Back