Urn extract brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzwa

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if many people use their urn to do full extract brews and if you could give me a quick run down on your process?I have been doing kit brews for awhile and am abit time poor to do biab so was hoping to skip the mash stage and improve my beers by going full extract. Any advice would be a great help cheers.

Why would you need to boil extract? It's had the shyte boiled out of it already during the wort production, then again during the vacuum extraction or spray drying phase. I just used it as-is in my kits and brief extract days, using two or three litres of the resulting wort in a stockpot to do the bittering and aroma hop boils.

The question would be whether doing a full volume boil with all the extract will produce a better outcome than doing a smaller boil with a portion of the extract; I suspect it wouldn't make any difference, but someone might know better than me on that. Then you've got the problem of quickly chilling down 20 odd litres of wort in order to pitch the yeast.

Hi azzwa,

I tend to do extract with grain steep these days. I use a large 20Litre pot on the kitchen stove. The following is my generic process:

Cheers,

Pete

[SIZE=12pt]1. Steep grains in 7 Litres of hot water for 60 mins at 70C[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2. Remove grain bag from liquid after 60 mins.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3. Sparge grain bag with 3 Litres of hot tap water to make total boil amount of 10 Litres.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]4. Boil grain liquid for a total of 60 mins.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]5. Follow hop additions as per schedule (60mins, 20mins & 5mins)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]6. Rest for 15 mins at flameout[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]7. Then cool wort to 18C in a sink full of ice & cold water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]8. Then strain wort into Fermenter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]9. Then add the LDME or Liquid ME to FV and stir well[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]10. Add extra cold water to make 24 Litres and stir well[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]11. Stir in first packet of XXX Yeast (first packet) into wort and aerate well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]12. Put Fermenter into fridge pre-set at 18C then sprinkle packet of XXXX Yeast (2nd packet) on surface of wort and fit FV lid and airlock.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]13. Ferment at 18C for 10 days. Then raise temp to 21C for 3 days. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]14. Then drop temp to 1C (cold crash) 4 days before bottling.[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back