Urgent Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshisgood

Reaction score
Hi, I just brewed an extract pilsener all with ldme and I fucked up and forgot to put the remaining malt in before entirely filling the fermenter, so I stirred the malt in ( about 3kgs of very fine ldme) and it's all clumped together and won't dissolve at all. Does anyone know what I can do here? Will the malt dissolve overtime or can theyeast eat it clumped up likely is? Also my wort is a lot hotter than I inteded 18c, I want it under 10c isitok to leave in the fridge until it reaches therighttemp before pitching? Also I've already rehydrated my yeast? Will it survive until the wort reaches right temp? Sorry for the scattered post I'm in a bit of a hurry trying to sort this out. Cheers josh

Don't worry about the lumps.

Better to pitch cool for a lager but many people pitch a bit hotter, then cool. As long as it's only a few hours, 18 deg should be OK. If your rehydrated yeast is covered and in a clean vessel though, you could probably afford to leave it a bit longer.

I don't think yours are the worst **** ups in history. Fret not.

Don't worry about the lumps.

Better to pitch cool for a lager but many people pitch a bit hotter, then cool. As long as it's only a few hours, 18 deg should be OK. If your rehydrated yeast is covered and in a clean vessel though, you could probably afford to leave it a bit longer.

I don't think yours are the worst **** ups in history. Fret not.

Thanks for the fast reply manticle, does the size of the lumps matter? There are some near tennis ball size clumps of malt in there. How long do you think the rehydrated yeast could be left for max?

I won't comment on the lumps.
As for the yeast, if the yeast has been re-hydrated correctly (proper temps) then you can keep it for possibly days, though I would not.
Dried yeast has lots of added glycogen and trehalose to give it a kick start in the wort, after about 30 minutes this is used up by the yeast and no longer avilable for a kick start.

K

Thanks for the fast reply manticle, does the size of the lumps matter? There are some near tennis ball size clumps of malt in there. How long do you think the rehydrated yeast could be left for max?

As I said - I'd be happy with a few hours if it was in a sanitary place but that's based on instinct, not science. Dr k has suggested you may lose the benefit of the rehydration step by leaving it longer than half an hour and he's probably worth listening to.

The lumps - next time use some boiling water and a sanitised stainless whisk and whisk them out before adding to the fermenter.

Yeast will find them as they are though and make small work of them.

10,000 posts Manticle. Nice work. That's a lot of typing.... :icon_cheers:

Manticle

Congratulations on the 10,000 post milestone. You've certainly helped me in my short time here.

Daniel

1. Welcome to the 10k Persistent Poster club

2. To the Original poster, don't worry about the maltesers, they will gradually dissolve and get eaten by the yeast cells like a mob of hyenas around a Zebra carcass.

The rehydration instructions usually give a time limit, 30-45 mins depending on which yeast. I would follow them as closely as possible if it was me.

I've had that happen a lot with CSP. I always make sure it goes into boiling water first now so that doesn't happen anymore.

Hey thanks for all the help guys, pitched yeast at 15c about 2 hours after rehydration, malt seems to be dissolving too. Hopefully all goes well, cheers

Latest posts

Back