Upgrading to 40amp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As im in the middle of upgrading my E Herms system, later on today, (after a decent sleep) i will be upgrading my 20amp circuit to 40amp (you can never b too safe), rewiring from switchboard to control panel, and circuit breaker.

2 x 20A ccts or one 40Amp...

If your going 40A your going to need some nice fat cable

Afterlife Spirits85 said:
As im in the middle of upgrading my E Herms system, later on today, (after a decent sleep) i will be upgrading my 20amp circuit to 40amp (you can never b too safe), rewiring from switchboard to control panel, and circuit breaker.
What is meant here mate?

Just the breaker? Are the conductors rated?

Did you post for questions or anything?

Installation type, adiabatic, derating calcs, VD valcs, grading with upstream protection? Standard inverse/very inverse, you adding definite time for clearing, CP incommer upgraded too or isolator only? Bus fault rated at CP for 40A bkr? What are you doing for your load circuit protection? Increasing rating? Is that the point of the 40A?

Assume you're using 6mm TPS if you're upgrading the wiring.

Your house's incommer and load profile....? Will the max demand on your 40A circuit potentially trip your main?

I just had my electrician (my wife's cousin) install me a 32A. Loven' more power too.

;)

Just questions.... I don't seek answers! My pint of stout is running low and I'm interested in anothery!

Ducatiboy stu said:
2 x 20A ccts or one 40Amp...

If your going 40A your going to need some nice fat cable
Phat or fat?

Like a Minnesota mumma or a sumo tsunami? Either might work but we might have trouble finding suitable conduits / clips.

What would be the bending radius of a truly fat cable? One arclounge, creampieradians?

[emoji12]

Well... I have worked a bit on armoured cables....man they are fun. You leave them out in the sun before even trying to strip em back..bending radius of about 1 mtr

40A is a bit ambitious...I seriously doubt you need that for your home brew rig

But...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Well... I have worked a bit on armoured cables....man they are fun. You leave them out in the sun before even trying to strip em back..bending radius of about 1 mtr

40A is a bit ambitious...I seriously doubt you need that for your home brew rig

But...
That helical tape armour is a pain, cut you open the moment it sees skin!

zorsoc_cosdog said:
That helical tape armour is a pain, cut you open the moment it sees skin!
80mm......Especially when it has 2 layers revers wound covered in tar ....c*nt of a stuff...

and at the end you had a 25mm core that you had to strip & terminate ( that was full of jelly )

Hi Afterlife Spirits85

Welcome to AHB.

Its going to be a fun ride, so strap yourself in

Signed
Bribie

They do a lovely line in irony in these parts - you just need to watch out for it.

Sorry there was no question, i must have posted in wrong section, was just excited by upgrading and thoughti would share, thats all.
I get that way too...

Very welcome mate.

And before people give you the tip-off...I'm the weird one[emoji79]

It was fun replacing 2.5mm to 6mm and also circuit breaker, ( all sober till i finished Just need my sparky mate too check off, nothing to worry bout tho, was able to get more wiring done inside control panel.

You're ahead of me.

I was to start my CP last week.. ohh well.

It was fun replacing 2.5mm to 6mm and also circuit breaker, ( all sober till i finished Just need my sparky mate too check off, nothing to worry bout tho, was able to get more wiring done inside control panel.
Yes...well..putting 3 x 6mm into an a pipe designed for 3 x 2.5mm is a bit like Mandingo and a...oh never mind

E is 2.5 (or 4?) on 6mm TPS for suitable EFLI. Depending on penetration

Mandingo is suitable for .... oh never mind

Back