Upgrading a STC-1000 with RTD

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Dawg

Reaction score
I am considering option for temperature control an started looking at the standard Auber PID setup. That would set me back about $200 including all pieces and postage. Now practically the only disadvantage of using the much cheaper stc1000 that I can see is the lower accuracy compared to the auber (2C vs 0.2C).

So my idea I want to discuss is whether there is a way to fit the stc with a more precise RTD probe and calibrate - guess this would not be trivial either...? Or is the internal control logic the weakness of the stc?
Cheers
V

My understanding is the stc only supports the ntc, so you cannot use a rtd. Also don't forget with the pid you are getting PID logic to help smooth out the over/under shoots.

Rather than the Auber, what about a Sestos, I think you should get the build in a lot cheaper than $200

Also on the price comparison, if a stc could support rtd

stc $20 - sestos $33

rtd/pt100 - same price

box - same price

misc (cable glands etc) - same price

extra for pid...
heat sink - $2.50
ssr - $4

So about $20 more to use a pid over the stc.

Also under $80 all up with the pid

QldKev

QldKev said:
Also on the price comparison, if a stc could support rtd

stc $20 - sestos $33

rtd/pt100 - same price

box - same price

misc (cable glands etc) - same price

extra for pid...
heat sink - $2.50
ssr - $4

So about $20 more to use a pid over the stc.

Also under $80 all up with the pid

QldKev
Thanks for the comparison. I guess STC and Sestos are similar quality?

mmmyummybeer said:
Could you just buy this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220890859067?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thinking of getting one myself instead of the STC1000.
Nice package. Bugger they don't seem to support step mashing. Or is there another model? (I know the STC does not either...)

Only the Auber ramp/soak model will support step mashing.

@mmmyummybeer the probe in that package is crap. So you would be paying $9 extra for a $4 ssr. (my last ones were $3.59 each)

I've got about 5 x stc-1000s, 2 x Sestos and 1 x programmable Auber. I've found they all have been reliable. Actually thinking about it about 2 or 3 years back I did have a stc die on me.
The Sestos is a pid, so you are gaining that over the stc which is only an on/off controller. You don't really want a pid for a fridge, but a pid is better at mashing.

Comparing the package against an Auber, the Auber does offer some really nice probes, but you pay for it. In my case I've ended up with 3 Auber probes for my 3V as I like the feature of the removable cable.

STC wont support the use of a RTS sensor, A RTD sensor is the best for testing liquid temps. It can be extended to any length without affecting the read temp - thats why its got 3 wires. 2 to measure total resistnace and 2 to measure temp change. (1 is a common before you get confused)

The PID is a better temp controller for mashing - it will "learn"your system preventing overshooting temp which is important in mashing beers.
The STC is good for fermenting as temp difference is not AS important.

I have a Auber PID without ramp/soak and just manually adjust temps over time. I programed a ramp/soak for dads kiln NEVER again, it was more complex than beer but wow it took some brain power.

People have good things to say about the ebay ones I went through Auber as I wanted one that I knew was top quality. I got my SSR Heatsink and box from ebay.

QldKev said:
@mmmyummybeer the probe in that package is crap. So you would be paying $9 extra for a $4 ssr. (my last ones were $3.59 each)

Damm thought it looked to good to be true. Don't suppose there is a decent probe that's good that will go with it. Still getting my head around all these controllers.

mmmyummybeer said:
Damm thought it looked to good to be true. Don't suppose there is a decent probe that's good that will go with it. Still getting my head around all these controllers.
Check evilbay, you can get a pt100 with a 1/2" thread often. I updated all my PIDs to use the pt100 from Auber, more expensive but a really nice piece of gear.

VD, what you use really depends on what you are trying to control. If it includes a fermentation fridge, then you want a nice wide hysteresis band and/or a compression delay to prevent your compressor burning out, therefore you are never going to achieve the precision temperature control that you state and there is no great advantage in a high accuracy probe and definitely no advantage in PID control. Mashing is another story and I would definitely recommend the PID route.

I have STCs for the fermentation fridge and kegerator. I somewhat blindly ordered 4 more STCs this winter when I started fermenting outside the fridge in a duna with a heat belt and also with the view of adding controls to my brewing setup. The more I read the more my view changes (quiet easy when you start at ignorant :) )

I am thinking to use one STC for the HLT, one as a display of Temp ex MLT, and after this discussion I will a go with a PID .... grrrr expensive Auberine.... to get good control of my temps ex HX.

Thanks all for the help

Back