Unused Grains - How Long Will They Last

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a couple 25kg bags of unmilled malt (munich and ale). I bought them about 6 months ago. Homebrewing went on a bit of a hiatus for a while.
I was just wondering if i have much time left to use them, or should I have used them already?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,
I have a couple 25kg bags of unmilled malt (munich and ale). I bought them about 6 months ago. Homebrewing went on a bit of a hiatus for a while.
I was just wondering if i have much time left to use them, or should I have used them already?

Thanks.

I've used 18 month old grain that tasted and worked fine. I reckon you'll be sweet. No doubt there will be some on here claiming they can taste staleness if the grain is more than a week old or something stupid, but I reckon ignore them and use it, itll be fine. Oh, check for weavils and rat shit first lol.

I've used 18 month old grain that tasted and worked fine. I reckon you'll be sweet. No doubt there will be some on here claiming they can taste staleness if the grain is more than a week old or something stupid, but I reckon ignore them and use it, itll be fine. Oh, check for weavils and rat shit first lol.

haha, ill make sure to check for rat shit!
I actually haven't opened them i guess i am going to have to get cracking.
Thanks for the response.

I agree with Sammus. As long as they were stored ok (dry mainly, and not too hot) then they should be just fine. I've got some grain that old, although I'm trying to use it all up at the moment. Chew on a few grains and that should help you tell.

they say grained that is not cracked stores well in the right environment, I have also used cracked grain after 16 weeks and never noticed a difference................so as long as the grain is stored in a dry place i wouldn't worry about it.

mainly need to worry about whether its been kept nice and dry - if its been "open" ie exposed to ambient moist air it may have picked up moisture and become a little slack (which just means its now got a % of its weight as water rather than starch, so your efficiency per kg will be lower by that amount) - check mainly for mould... if its got mould on it at all, then I would toss it, it can make for bad beer and also be bad for you.

Otherwise, if it smells and tastes clean and fresh, it'll be fine - perhaps not perfect, but certainly not ready for the bin.

i am going to have to get cracking.

Hahaha i saw what you did there :)

Yeah i have never had an issue with grain un-milled, i have never kept milled grain longer than a week, but i reckon there wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Latest posts

Back