Unmalted Barley

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been wanting to malt my own barley for a while now, have found some info on how to do it recently and am wondering where
in Melbourne I could buy un-malted barley. Have done a quick google search and made a few calls but no one was able to help.

Any one got any leads ?

Cheers

Aaron

Hey Guys,

Been wanting to malt my own barley for a while now, have found some info on how to do it recently and am wondering where
in Melbourne I could buy un-malted barley. Have done a quick google search and made a few calls but no one was able to help.

Any one got any leads ?

Cheers

Aaron

Stockfeed places?

try trucking companies for possible leads,or wharfies,health food shops,bakeries,google milling companies in your area.....cheers......spog.......
Yeah that's what I thought, called a bloke but he said its generally all mixed, with corn and wheat etc. so yeah not sure if you can get just barley.

Aaron

Malting quality/variety of barley makes up about 20% of the total produced in Australia. The poorer quality/variety of grain that doesn't pass evaluation within the guidelines laid down by a committee of maltsters and commercial brewers end up elsewhere, such as for feed. Whether this indicates that feed-grade barley is vastly inferior is something I don't know. You may wish to email the relevant barley industry body for clarification.

A brewing buddy of mine germinated and malted a few kilos of non-malting barley last year and his results in the practical application of homebrewing showed poor figures in his final efficiency. It could have been the barley quality/variety, or a lack of expertise as an amateur home maltster. Side by side tests were not done with grains earmarked for the malt industry, so it could well be a combination of both.

There was a guy here, or it might have been TBN, that is regularly malting his own barley, and from memory has been doing so for a while. If I can find the thread, or if anyone else knows what I refer to, a link may follow, which might give some hints as to what grain to use.

Here we go. In post #27, absinthe mentions that he uses feed barley. From the looks of the videos, he's very passionate about the process, and has probably done a lot of the hard work in getting the desired results. You might want to give him a shout to see what sort of efficiency he's getting.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=42935&st=0

Cheers Ted,

Have seen those videos on youtube already (that's what's inspired me to malt my own). I'll get onto sending some emails around the place, one place I only thought to check a few hours ago was my LHBS. If they don't have it surely they can put me onto someone who has.

thanks for all the input I'll keep you posted with my results

Aaron

Latest posts

Back