Ultrananomicrobrewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping a small amount of mash at the right temperature shouldnt be a problem, im currently developing a rather advanced temperature controller that will be able to handle small mash sizes as well as large ones.

Afromaiko: I was thinking about doing something similar to those oztops ideas. One thing that did worry me was the fact that after primary fermentation there would be no way to sediment the yeast. Most of my brews I would naturally like to share with friends so I guess I am stuck with decanting the primary fermentation and undergoing secondary for carbonation in the desired container. Does anyone know what the desired pressure is in a vessel for carbonation of beer? Im thinking maybe i can find some small safety-pressure valves I can use them instead - possibly a lot cheaper than oztops.

cheers!

...One thing that did worry me was the fact that after primary fermentation there would be no way to sediment the yeast. Most of my brews I would naturally like to share with friends so I guess I am stuck with decanting the primary fermentation and undergoing secondary for carbonation in the desired container. Does anyone know what the desired pressure is in a vessel for carbonation of beer? Im thinking maybe i can find some small safety-pressure valves I can use them instead - possibly a lot cheaper than oztops.
You're talking about doing 1-2 litre brews and you're complaining about having to bottle! :rolleyes:
When you bottle a full 20-23 litre batch, then start complaining...
Why not just stick an airlock or even easier, a blow off tube, into a big soft drink bottle. Ferment. Once fermented, decant it into some ordinary beer bottles, prime, cap, condition, and drink. Too easy.
Or, just decant into one other soft-drink bottle and seal.

Many members brew in jerry cans as they fit better in their brew fridge, and I for one use them for secondary.

I recently bought some neat little five litre jerries from Bunnings, only about $8 each and I used them to cube a full brew into four worts for doing some partials.

four_partials.JPG

They should work fine for small batches and you could just rack into a second cube for secondary.

You're talking about doing 1-2 litre brews and you're complaining about having to bottle! :rolleyes:
When you bottle a full 20-23 litre batch, then start complaining...
Why not just stick an airlock or even easier, a blow off tube, into a big soft drink bottle. Ferment. Once fermented, decant it into some ordinary beer bottles, prime, cap, condition, and drink. Too easy.
Or, just decant into one other soft-drink bottle and seal.

Hi Caleb, I didn't mean to be arrogant! I remember bottling a full batch once using a crappy hammer-sealer and a rubber mallet. I think that's why i stopped brewing beer all those years ago :p I'll put a proper press-capper on my list of stuff to buy and get over it. (or perhaps i'll just bottle in PET, but im going to assume theres a heavily opinionated fraction of glass vs plastic people here...?)

The only reason I was stating what I did before was because I am trying to find a spigot solution for the small bottles still. It is difficult to water-tight food-grade seal a tap onto the coke bottles because of the shape - can't get your hand inside the bottle :p But it's okay, im sure with enough brainstorming I'll find a solution.

Cheers! :)

The bench capper is definitely a required item. My "hammer capper" was quickly retired after 2 batches, and I'd never go back.

Why do you need a tap on such a small bottle? Couldn't you just carefully pour it out? Or syphon, like those craaazy americans with their carboys do...

I think my smallest batch was 5 litres in a demijon. Too bad I didn't leave enough headspace and ended up with a big krausen after a few hours, which overflowed onto my brew log. Still have the demijon-sized wort-ring stain on my earlier pages :D

Only thing I'd be careful about is accurate scales and using noble hops to bitter, otherwise if you're a gram or two out and using PoR or Super Alpha then you're going to be drinking some pretty bitter beer...

Cheers - boingk

Back