Uh oh.... Slow to boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfad

Reaction score
Doing Neil's Centarillo Ale with some added crystal, but the wort took over an hour to get to the boil... Stupid big pot and small stove at new house!

Is this going to affect the brew at all? A bit worried as it is my first brew in 3 years.

Did you have a layer of white foam covering the top of the wort?

That opening post was 2 days ago. So how did it go drfad?

I had a brew scheduled interrupted once and had to leave the wort on low heat all night. (i didnt want it to cool) it sat at 80c all night and finished the boil and hop additions the next morning. The result was high brewhouse efficiency. I overshot the estimated ABV because of lower FG.
Unknown what longer boil has effecting sugars but longer boil never bad with malt as far as I know. They boil that shit for hours to turn it into syrup etc.

It seems to be glooping along nicely, I'm just worried that there may be some off tastes or something. Will wait and see.

By the way, any suggestions for dry hopping?

Its your experiment. 1g + per liter is a ball park. I've only dry hopped or wet hopped in the keg. Flame out additions can work well too. and etc. Have fun :chug:

Danscraftbeer said:
That opening post was 2 days ago. So how did it go drfad?

I had a brew scheduled interrupted once and had to leave the wort on low heat all night. (i didnt want it to cool) it sat at 80c all night and finished the boil and hop additions the next morning. The result was high brewhouse efficiency. I overshot the estimated ABV because of lower FG.
Unknown what longer boil has effecting sugars but longer boil never bad with malt as far as I know. They boil that shit for hours to turn it into syrup etc.
Boiling longer won't improve your brewhouse efficiency. You'll get a higher OG but at the sake of lower volume. Efficiency, loosely speaking, is the total amount of sugars and goodies extracted from the grain which can be represented as a specific gravity for a given volume of liquid.
A longer boil will darken the colour of the wort and affect the flavour of the brew slightly. Excessive boiling on a high density element without movement in the kettle can also result in burning of proteins on the element, grist-dependant. In OP's case though there's nothing to worry about as it simply took a long time to reach the boil. The net result would be a higher boiloff volume due to extra evaporation while trying to reach the boil. This will have a minor effect on post-boil gravity and volume.

Ok thanks for all your help everyone. Would galaxy dry hop well, or cascade or should I stick with what's in there already?

Cascade is also a good dry hop. Don't stress and see how it goes - it'll just be different, not worse or better.

drfad,

You could be boldly going where no brewer has gone before. I've heard of boils going on for many hours, but not holding at 80. I'm not at all sure what the effect of a 20+ degree redluction (wort boils at over 100) will be on the many reactions that occur in a boil. One thing, DMS production should be slow at that temp, and a subsequent boil should volatilise what was produced.

So report back when the beer is finished.

Yankinoz,
Thanks, although I know not what you mean.

It did eventually boil and I did all the hop additions as per usual, but as you said, it's the great unknown.

Back