Two people suffer suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from home brew d

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to agree with you Andrew, but who would buy or read a newspaper if the stories weren't sensationalised by creative writing.
It is a shame that we can't have news reported accurately. :(

Distillation to make wine? Clearly the EMT guys and the reporters are clueless.

What about the bit claiming it was from "the combustion process"??

Ruckus said:
Distillation to make wine? Clearly the EMT guys and the reporters are clueless.
Are things like grappa etc. made from a wine base that is distilled?

Where they running a large gas burner in a confined space .

The article looks legit to me- it even states it was a distillery in the title. I think kevo and wynnum have hit the nail on the head- grappa made on a gas burner in an enclosed space.......
The only sensationalism I see here is the first 4 posts in this topic.

Cheers,
RB

Now I'm curious. What are the myths and what's accurate? How could a distillery produce large amounts of carbon monoxide? Obviously the bit about them producing 'wine' is silly.

Red Baron said:
The article looks legit to me- it even states it was a distillery in the title. I think kevo and wynnum have hit the nail on the head- grappa made on a gas burner in an enclosed space.......

Cheers,
RB
Interesting point. I'm unsure how you see any of the posts as sensational.

Its a shit article, big deal lets focus on the fun stuff!

*runs back to garage to crank up gas regulator inside a cupboard*

I think it is just poor sentence and paragraph structure. The article jumps around different points too much and leaves the reader not sure what aspect of the process being discussed at a given time. Stating clearly that it was co levels that were produced as a byproduct of the lpg burner that was in use with inadequate ventilation, would explain to readers the issue better and could help prevent more readers from making the same mistake.

Red Baron said:

Cheers,
RB
If the article was written stating all of the facts in a constructive and an informative nature I would agree, however as Kev pointed out it jumps around from wine making to distilling to homebrewing without actually stating exactly what caused the poisoning leaving the reader to make their own assumptions on just what happened. That to me is pretty crappy journalism.

AndrewQLD said:
If the article was written stating all of the facts in a constructive and an informative nature I would agree, however as Kev pointed out it jumps around from wine making to distilling to homebrewing without actually stating exactly what caused the poisoning leaving the reader to make their own assumptions on just what happened. That to me is pretty crappy journalism.
I fully agree with you Andrew- it is an article written by a journalist that does not know or understand the process he/she's reporting on. My comment about sensationalism was more directed at the fact that you titled the thread "carbon monoxide poisoning from home brew", which in itself is not an accurate representation of the article, and something that would cause members here to read the article in a different light.

Apologies for any offence caused.
Cheers,
RB.

Red Baron said:
I fully agree with you Andrew- it is an article written by a journalist that does not know or understand the process he/she's reporting on. My comment about sensationalism was more directed at the fact that you titled the thread "carbon monoxide poisoning from home brew", which in itself is not an accurate representation of the article, and something that would cause members here to read the article in a different light.

Apologies for any offence caused.
Cheers,
RB.
No offence was taken RB, I have edited the title for clarity, unfortunately the copy and paste from the article heading was too long :blink:

The article is pretty much correct, although written terribly, except the reference to CO poisoning, unless they were distilling in a car with a hose from the exhaust through the window of coarse.

They had mild asphyxiation by CO2. Maybe open a window ey fella's...

shaunous said:
The article is pretty much correct, although written terribly, except the reference to CO poisoning, unless they were distilling in a car with a hose from the exhaust through the window of coarse.

They had mild asphyxiation by CO2. Maybe open a window ey fella's...
Depends, LPG combustion will create CO but there must've been bugger all ventilation and the burner improperly adjusted.

A large burner with no ventilation will produce plenty of CO. Not all stills are electric. Crap reporting though.

Latest posts

Back