Two people suffer suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from home brew d

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cos they were m8's on a d8?

Yes my incorrect use of the apostrophe with a plural is deliberate.

pcmfisher said:
I see no reference to CO2 in the article.
Ha, me either, fuk I was in the horrors.

Carry on regardless then.

Hahaha , subscribe to it dicko, get weekly emails. I've been reading it for years. There is some fairly wild stories. Their ViceTV is also awesome.

Okay, so yesterday's weather in Melbourne was shite; windy and cold, so I moved the burner into he shed doorway and boiled up the mash. He she'd is pretty small, say 2x3, but has two windows and the open door.
I am assuming that this is pretty much ok as any gas build up would be blown through with the windows and the fact hat I don't have a headache, despite the Shiraz.

I enjoyed brewing in the shed as it meant very little lifting and moving, but wondering if this might not be a good idea on a still weather day. But surely there would be sufficient air flow with the pot right in the doorway.

Maybe a sign of monoxide poisoning is the tendency to waffle on without greeting to a point or question?

I use gas in a double garage all the time, at my old house for years it was the same. I don't open any doors. My kettle is right near a doorway, which isn't exactly airtight, and the roller doors sure aren't airtight. Never had an issue. Though, for some reason halfway through the boil that damn pixie turns up and wants to argue. He usually pisses off just after the boils done, and never cleans up, the lazy *******.

mje1980 said:
I use gas in a double garage all the time, at my old house for years it was the same. I don't open any doors. My kettle is right near a doorway, which isn't exactly airtight, and the roller doors sure aren't airtight. Never had an issue. Though, for some reason halfway through the boil that damn pixie turns up and wants to argue. He usually pisses off just after the boils done, and never cleans up, the lazy *******.
I find brewing within a meter of the kegerator helps calms the nerves and helps deal with hallucinations.

Carbon monoxide can be really dangerous as you don't know about it until to late. I'm happy to run my burners with the roller door slightly open, no way would I run it without ventilation. If you are going to brew with doors shut you can get an co alarm from bunnies or elsewhere.

Bunnings does one that does co and also smoke.

Kiwifirst said:
Okay, so yesterday's weather in Melbourne was shite; windy and cold, so I moved the burner into he shed doorway and boiled up the mash. He she'd is pretty small, say 2x3, but has two windows and the open door.
I am assuming that this is pretty much ok as any gas build up would be blown through with the windows and the fact hat I don't have a headache, despite the Shiraz.

I enjoyed brewing in the shed as it meant very little lifting and moving, but wondering if this might not be a good idea on a still weather day. But surely there would be sufficient air flow with the pot right in the doorway.

Maybe a sign of monoxide poisoning is the tendency to waffle on without greeting to a point or question?
turn a pedestal fan on

but dont use wet hands on the switch.....
or be making sure yee wear thongs so yee safe

I thought carbon monoxide was only produced when the gas doesn't combust properly. In the old days hot water heaters used to cause a lot of deaths when not maintained properly. A gas burner on high in a confined space will use up all the oxygen pretty quick and produce a lot of co2, which can be fatal at levels of 5% or more. These days you hear about a lot more deaths from co2 in enclosed spaces like silos.

I would be worried if sat next to it and watched it for the entire 90+ minutes but once it's going I'm usually inside doing something else. I do occasionally crack the window, or prop the roller door up an inch or so. This lets plenty of air in. Pixie doesn't turn up on those days for some reason. Hmm

Can get similar afflictions from using bleach in a non-vented space too. Sensationalism sells.

Not a problem then, as I have every window open. With the burner in the doorway it means I can actually have the gas bottle outside. Having that inside worried me more than anything else. Does make it a bit tricker when stepping back into the shed, between a boiling pot on the floor and the kegerator.

I have my burner in the shed, with the roller door open up the other end. I'm very confident I have adequate ventilation. In any case, I don't go sticking my head down near the burner either.

slcmorro said:
I have my burner in the shed, with the roller door open up the other end. I'm very confident I have adequate ventilation. In any case, I don't go sticking my head down near the burner either.
Yeah, I am probably more likely to burn the shed down by tripping over the thing than killing myself with monoxide.

Latest posts

Back