Two birds taco beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just tried Two birds taco beer, quite interesting and I found it very sessionable, lucky I only had the two free stubbies from work. Got lovely hits of coriander and lime, guessing the corn was in the wheat grain. Not a bad drop would do it again, interested to hear anyone elses thoughts!!!!

Cheers

Oh and I have heard some spicy food will enhance in the flavour more too!!!!

Yep I rate it. Full of flavour and quite complex. My favourite of their brews.

First brew I ever tried of theirs, only heard of the brewery recently from another website which I wont mention, unfortunately the bottle shop this was purchased from is 45 mins away, I will have to wait for the boss to bring me some more back to taste.

I think he did mention maybe a golden ale that two birds have out???

Beamer said:
First brew I ever tried of theirs, only heard of the brewery recently from another website which I wont mention, unfortunately the bottle shop this was purchased from is 45 mins away, I will have to wait for the boss to bring me some more back to taste.

I think he did mention maybe a golden ale that two birds have out???
A golden and a 'sunset ale', a sort of red ale type beer. Its been a while since ive had them but I didnt think they were out of this world great. Might be time for a retry.

I'm pretty close to a clone of this beer, first attempt was probably better than my second attempt. Both good beers but! It's a bit of a prick to make though. I'm keeping it under lock and key until i get it perfect!

huez said:
I'm pretty close to a clone of this beer, first attempt was probably better than my second attempt. Both good beers but! It's a bit of a prick to make though. I'm keeping it under lock and key until i get it perfect!
Let us know when you're happy with it.

I had a few pints on tap on the weekend and really enjoyed it.

huez said:
Digging up an old thread as I am trying to plan some summer beers and think this one would be a cracker. Did you have any joy in cloning the recipe?

I had one yesterday at the brewery. Pretty tastey on tap. Its probably the best thier bottled beers. The golden and sunset ales are nothing special. You can definitely taste the lime. It does have flaked corn in it. Citra and Amarillo.

Ferg said:
Digging up an old thread as I am trying to plan some summer beers and think this one would be a cracker. Did you have any joy in cloning the recipe?
Haven't brewed this for awhile but here was my first attempt at it with a few modifications. Upped the lime zest a bit and hop additions. You can obviously change the base malts to what you have. Pretty sure i added a pinch of dark choc to get the colour up a bit, not necessary though
If people brew it i'd like to know how you go with it. I wouldn't say its completely cloned but a excellent summer beer.

Huez' TACO Beer 23litre 75% efficiency

Barret Burston Pale Malt 2kg
Wheat Malt 1.7kg
Flaked Corn 1kg
Carafoam 260g
Caramunich II 100g (just use an equivalent)

12g warrior @ 60mins
10g citra @ 20mins
7g amarillo @ 10mins
7g citra @ 10mins
20g lime zest @5 mins (get as little of the white pith as possible, its bitter. Could probably go up to 30g on it.)
7g amarillo @ 1min
7g citra @ 1min
30g amarillo in whirlpool

Dry hop
25g citra
15g amarillo
15g columbus tomahawk
60g coriander leaf (I just wash the coriander and then use one of those salad spinners to get as much of the water off as possible.)

Awesome! I will be brewing that in 2-3 weeks and give it a taste before summer see how much I need on hand. I dont have citra in the hop freezer, I got some equinox Ill chuck in instead.

Let me know how you go! I'd personally sub out the Columbus for something else as well. I've since grown to dislike it quite a bit. Used to put it in everything

I have just fallen in love with columbus, but in saying that I have only used it in two brews and tasted it in a commercial beer which was kick arse.

Then again my last 6 or so months has been alot of smash beers learning more about malts hops and yeast.

So anything with three hops is oh so welcome

Cheers Huez,

With the grain bill I was thinking along the lines of the Stone & Wood Pacific Ale (60/40 pale/wheat) but I had no idea how much flaked corn to add...

Ferg said:
Cheers Huez,

With the grain bill I was thinking along the lines of the Stone & Wood Pacific Ale (60/40 pale/wheat) but I had no idea how much flaked corn to add...
Yeah it was a complete and utter guess to be honest. You could leave it out or i would probably use less, i don't think it adds a whole lot.

Comparing the two beers with what I presume is a somewhat similar grain bill, the taco beer is definitely a bit darker. Also, from what I have read about flaked corn (flaked maize?) it lightens the colour & body of the beer so adding something to up it a bit makes sense.

unnamed.jpg
20140116_212236.jpg

Yeah i definitely added some dark choc to up the colour a bit, it would have come out a similar colour to the pacific ale otherwise. I remember reading up on flaked maize additions and i went on the lower side of what people were saying.

I've just seen that i didn't include any kind of gravity numbers or yeast info in my recipe. Starting gravity was 1.052 and and final gravity was calculated at 1.012 but i ended up getting 1.010 using wlp001. IBUs were 32 which i think is slightly higher then the real taco.

I noticed you used coriander leaves as opposed to seeds. I must admit when I saw there was coriander in the recipe I assumed it was seeds as I've seen it in a few Belgian recipes. Any thoughts?

Seeds are going to be a completely different flavour, I find the leaf comes off more fresh and almost citrus like.

On the two birds website it says they use coriander leaf, so I ran with it. Wasn't sure if they used it in the boil or fermenter but opted for the fermenter. Makes for an interesting clean up!

Yep, second that big time, leaf coriander and seed coriander are not interchangeable in Mexican cooking.

Latest posts

Back