My New BIAB system

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Skee

Reaction score
So i recently moved into a new house. As a result of this i lost ALOT of brewing space. I had to cut back from a direct fired two converted beer keg system and bunch of free space. To brewing in a kitchen similar in size to an standard bathroom.

I was happy to accept the challenge as it meant i could condense the clutter that had become my brewing hobby. I friend and home brewer suggested i look into BIAB as it was a little easier on equipment and also space. Oh how right he was, I have now brewed my second BIAB and had some great results and thought i would share my method with the forums.

My equipment is as follows.

1 x Large water urn holds about 25L and has a built in heating element and spout at the front.(Very similar to what the T500 reflux still comes with)
1 x Immersion Circulator For cooking food "Sous Vide"
1 x BIAB grain bag
1 x Standard fine mesh kitchen Strainer
Hop Socks as per editions
1 x immersion Chiller

For anyone who is un aware and immersion circulator is used in the food industry for cook food at very specific temperatures for Equally specific periods of time. The tool has a built in Thermometer, Heater and fan for circulating the water.

I started by calculating a recipe in beer smith for a dark wheat ale. After i had my recipe build i moved to brewing.

- I filled my water urn with the required amount of water required and fitted the circulator to the side of the urn.

- I set the temp on the circulator to my exact desired mash temp and then switched on the boil;er to heat the water.

Once the water was up to temp i mashed in my grain This was where i had to use the fine mesh strainer. I had to create a wall between he circulation fan and the gran bag to ensure good flow of water. The water flow is what help keep the water a standard temp all over.

- this proved be be a great way to go about is as i new my grains were going to sit at the right temperature and that the bulk in timer would notify me when it was done. I had plenty of uninterrupted time to clean after myself and also get the next steps in my brew day ready.

Once the mash was done i had to simply remove the grains and circulator and switch on the boiler base and was going as a standard brew day with boil and hops. This made for a minimal impact on space and a very tidy brew day. Everything limited to one main vessel right by the sink made chilling sanitising and cleaning very easy.

I know that an immersion circulator is an odd investment just as a brewing tool but maybe this info can be of help to anyone who already posses one and is looking to make an even more care free brew day. If anyone is interested i can happily get some photos of the next brew day to help you picture what i am writing about.

Cheers.

D_Skee

D_Skee said:
So i recently moved into a new house. As a result of this i lost ALOT of brewing space. I had to cut back from a direct fired two converted beer keg system and bunch of free space. To brewing in a kitchen similar in size to an standard bathroom.

I was happy to accept the challenge as it meant i could condense the clutter that had become my brewing hobby. I friend and home brewer suggested i look into BIAB as it was a little easier on equipment and also space. Oh how right he was, I have now brewed my second BIAB and had some great results and thought i would share my method with the forums.

1 x Large water urn holds about 25L and has a built in heating element and spout at the front.(Very similar to what the T500 reflux still comes with)
1 x BIAB grain bag
1 x immersion Chiller

For anyone who is un aware and immersion circulator is used in the food industry for cook food at very specific temperatures for Equally specific periods of time. The tool has a built in Thermometer, Heater and fan for circulating the water.

I started by calculating a recipe in beer smith for a dark wheat ale. After i had my recipe build i moved to brewing.

- I filled my water urn with the required amount of water required and fitted the circulator to the side of the urn.

- I set the temp on the circulator to my exact desired mash temp and then switched on the boil;er to heat the water.

Once the water was up to temp i mashed in my grain This was where i had to use the fine mesh strainer. I had to create a wall between he circulation fan and the gran bag to ensure good flow of water. The water flow is what help keep the water a standard temp all over.

- this proved be be a great way to go about is as i new my grains were going to sit at the right temperature and that the bulk in timer would notify me when it was done. I had plenty of uninterrupted time to clean after myself and also get the next steps in my brew day ready.

Once the mash was done i had to simply remove the grains and circulator and switch on the boiler base and was going as a standard brew day with boil and hops. This made for a minimal impact on space and a very tidy brew day. Everything limited to one main vessel right by the sink made chilling sanitising and cleaning very easy.

I know that an immersion circulator is an odd investment just as a brewing tool but maybe this info can be of help to anyone who already posses one and is looking to make an even more care free brew day. If anyone is interested i can happily get some photos of the next brew day to help you picture what i am writing about.

Cheers.

D_Skee
bring on those brew day photos fella, interested in this circulator thingy.

Bloody hell, you may have just saved me trying to build a recirculating system. I have a 60L urn and been trying to work out a way of keeping the urn on when mashing. Pictures or a link for purchase would be great.

Had a look and probably will be too shallow, but you have made me think about a mixer of some sort, maybe drill and paint mixer?

Beercus

Have just planned my next batch will get some shots of the next brew day and get them online later in the next week or so.

Beercus have you looked at a Brewmister? They have a built in pump that mounts under the base. If I was to convert an urn I would look at a 12v pump (LBP) and mount it under the urn as they are very small, you could use it to recirc during cooling too. I believe someone on here also had a LBP mounted into a bulkhead on the side of an urn.

D_Skee have you looked at a 20 min mash & boil? Save time and space :)

D_Skee said:

1 x BIAB grain bag
1 x immersion Chiller

Cheers.

D_Skee
I'd love to know if it makes any difference from standard blab?

Back