Turning A Keg Into Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One way to overcome the weight problem of a full keg fermenter would be sitting it in the fermentation fridge/cabinet/area or whatever the brewer uses. Keeping it high enough to rack to secondary or keg when fermentation has finished.

For example a reinforced shelf higher on the fridge or having the fridge somehow set higher off the ground.

When the boil is is finished brewday. Those lucky buggers who own March pumps :super: could maybe pump from the boiler through the C/F chiller to the fermenter. This would negate lifting a S/S keg with 40 odd litres of wort.

However requires a $260 March pump. (Still working on SWMBO). My brewing wish list is a little on the high side at the moment.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
(Still working on SWMBO). My brewing wish list is a little on the high side at the moment.

Warren -
[post="57599"][/post]​

When you work out how to do it, let us all know will ya?, i tried to convince SWMBO that she needs 2 for her garden water feature.....didnt work

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
whie we're on a lifting hijack, how about this
[post="57571"][/post]​

Sorry Vlad, its a nice try, but it does require a little physical exertion. How can you compare that to
1) While holding large glass of beer in left hand, turn tap on with right hand
2) Keg goes up
3) While holding large glass of beer in right hand, open second tap with left hand
4) Keg goes down
(Hard hat and steel cap boots optional)

ozbrewer said:
warrenlw63 said:
(Still working on SWMBO). My brewing wish list is a little on the high side at the moment.

Warren -
[post="57599"][/post]​

When you work out how to do it, let us all know will ya?, i tried to convince SWMBO that she needs 2 for her garden water feature.....didnt work
[post="57601"][/post]​

Could try,
"My back is hurting ALOT" after brewday.
"Gee I would hate to stuff it up for good".
"You know for around $300 I wouldn't have to worry about it again"
"At work it is the law that pumps are to be used for his type of lifting"
Worth a try! ;)

Anyone thought of these?

Available at a lot of winemaking suppliers. Not sure of the price. Would say $$$$ though.

Here's one place.

http://www.arblack.com.au/products.asp?pg=2&section=storage

Warren -

st12.jpg

Darren said:
"Gee I would hate to stuff it up for good".
"You know for around $300 I wouldn't have to worry about it again"
"At work it is the law that pumps are to be used for his type of lifting"
Worth a try! ;)
[post="57606"][/post]​

Yeah. Goodluckwithit :lol:

My SWMBO would just say. Well, give up brewing if it hurts that much.

Warren -

I don't see the point in an air lock, my set up is a round hole cut in the top with a perspex lid machined up and sits on a lip. I have no air loc and never had any trouble at all. When welding in the tap i siver solder it's clean and strong.

Stagger

Stagger I to have been an open brewer for quite a few years ,how ever I recently lost a brew to an infection and have just driled a 12mm hole for an airlock in my perspex lids . I got new airlocks and gromets and only just finished putting on a stout and a blonde. heres hopeing all gos well ..... I made an O'ring up out of some 8mm irigation tube but I suspect that it is a bit firm , will look around in town for other softer materials to use ..

Cheers bunyip

Gday

All your 50 litter keg fermenters are great think Ill make one , just wondering if you can fit a double brew in there or is there not enough head space

CHEERS

aspro said:
just wondering if you can fit a double brew in there or is there not enough head space
[post="73116"][/post]​

I'll let you know soon :D :beer: :chug: :party:

PZ.

Now that I have access to SS welders and parts again, I have been thinking about plasma cutting the bottom out of 50L keg and replacing it with a conical bottom.

For a lid I thought about a using the cut out bottom, cleaned up. Plasma cut a matching hole in the top, attach the cleaned up bottom piece via hinge or similar and put a rubber seal around the hole with a screw down hatch. Perhaps put a pressure relief valve in the lid.

Could even use a perspex lid so I can see whats going on inside. Some square tube in tube adjustable legs welded on the side and I think we have it.

Only thoughts at the moment, but definately going to give it a go. stay tuned. I'll talk to the welders.

K

kirem said:
I'll talk to the welders.
[post="87472"][/post]​
My welder doesn't talk back. Come to think of it, none of my tools do.

BTW my fermenter just has the lid loose on it these days. No more broken wrists trying to loosen a wedged lid. I can live without the comfort of a bubbling airlock.

not enough head space for me.

I actually brew 50 liter batches in a 60 liter plactic firmenter.

I use one of these 50 liter kegs as a "keg" so not enough room.

maybe an old 18 gallon job but the weight of it. I agree with pumpy.

50 liters in a PVC firmenter is heavy enough!!!

cheers

Got a lid sorted for my keg fermenter...thanks to the old saucepan that left it's lid hiding in the back of the cupboard when thrown out :D

50llid9ou.jpg

Now I just need to find/modify/fabricate an o-ring that'll fit snugly inside the SS rim...no problem :super:

PZ.

Hey FB,

I think you need to find out why Internet Explorer is trying to act as a Server :p

Doc

Doc said:
I think you need to find out why Internet Explorer is trying to act as a Server :p
[post="87522"][/post]​

Due to the " :p " I'm not sure how to take that comment :ph34r:

PZ.

Sosman,

I'm not concerned about bubbling airlocks. But have heard about fermenting under pressure and would like to have the ability to explore this.

Your welder doesn't talk to you, mustn't be a WIA then.

K

kirem said:
But have heard about fermenting under pressure and would like to have the ability to explore this.
[post="87540"][/post]​

What have you heard?

Advantages?

Disadvantages?

I'm interested to know :)

PZ.

I'd imagine that the temperature would not drop as easily using this "under pressure" method too? <_<

PZ.

Latest posts

Back