Turn Up The Heat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition I think I get about 4 - 5 brews from a regular 9kg gas bottle.

I only use this HP burner on the HLT and a 3 ring camping burner on my boiler.

RobW said:
Does anybody know if you can run these burners of mains gas as well as bottled?
[post="82268"][/post]​

Rob.

IIRC The Mongolian burners are more well-suited to natural gas. They put out roughly the same amount of grunt. That said they don't run as well as the NASA on a low flame. Natural gas MMV.

Warren -

burn_mong01.jpg

devo said:
I think these burners require a high preasure regulator. The one you use on your BBQ or standard 3-4 ring burners just doesn't cut it.
[post="82272"][/post]​

I have a high pressure reg - but can it be used with mains gas?

Rob.

At a guess you'd live near Gameco? Something along those lines you're probably better off consulting them. They're pretty helpful. :beerbang:

Warren -

Jye said:
Hey Ross, I would have thought an experienced brew like you would have one of these burners. Out of interest what are you using at the moment and what is its performance and economy like?

Jye
[post="82266"][/post]​

Jye, I'm an all grain newbie - only started 8 months ago & spent 2 of those overseas - There again, putting down my 30th AG this w/e...

Mine's just a simple ring burner with a high pressure regulator, I put flame under as I start 2nd sparge (batch) & she's boiling by the time it's run. I get about 5 to 6 90 min hard boils....

Cheers...

warrenlw63 said:
Rob.

At a guess you'd live near Gameco? Something along those lines you're probably better off consulting them. They're pretty helpful. :beerbang:

Warren -
[post="82279"][/post]​

May do that - they're onlty 5 minutes away. Unfortunately only operate M-F. I'm not really planning to do it any soon but I do have an external hose with a bayonet so it would just be a matter of getting an outlet run to the right spot. One of those things I might try later.

Jye, I'm an all grain newbie - only started 8 months ago & spent 2 of those overseas - There again, putting down my 30th AG this w/e...

Everyone is more experienced than me :blink:

Gameco are pretty helpful but the arent the cheapest, this thread has some prices.

I've got the NASA burner from Globe Imports.
I do 90-99 min boils with a starting vol of ~47 litres.
It takes about 20 mins to bring it to the boil.
I have an electric HLT.
And I get at least 6 brews to a 9kg bottle and a bbq or two.

Beers,
Doc

I can't verify my usage. I've only done 2 x 40 litre brews with my NASA.

It will get a good workout this week. I'm going to boil 80 litres of water in my new ally pot. That will really test the little bugger.

Warren -

I use a 90 lt pot as does Dicko and Jayse with a NASA

Works great !

Batz

Batz

The picture of your monster made me realise I didn't have enough "pot". Boiling 42 Litres in a keg is a bit of a worry.

Thanks for the idea. :lol:

Warren -

Ross said:
What BTU's do the nasa's put out?
[post="82483"][/post]​

Reminds me of a question I get alot, 'how many watts you got there?'
The answer is simply 'more than enough'.
I think theres enough zeros' to build a 200 litre brewery around one of these 'nasa' burners, then when the time comes turn it all into a space shuttle and have a brewday on the moon. :beer:

Heres the mentioned 90l kettle on said burner/space shuttle prototype.
Jayse

framo003.jpg

Well, I have just upgraded from kitchen partials (and AG's in double batches) to an outdoor setup. I went against the grain here and bought myself a standard 4-ring burner from Gaganis.

The positives as I see them:
  • They're quieter
  • No dicking around with higher pressure lines
  • No need for a standoff pipe or heat shield for the gas line
  • No burning the paint off of the stand
  • The valves on the burner don't get too hot to touch
  • They're quieter
I brewed today, around 18 minutes to heat 17L each of strike & sparge water (running on 3 rings) and 18 minutes to bring 25L of wort to the boil. They're not NASA numbers, but it's not an interminable wait. And did I mention they're quieter?

Very first AG on a new system and my brewday was around 4.5 hours, with a 90 minute mash.

Well done Kai. :beerbang:

No turning back now. B) I'll send you a CD of some NASA noise so you sound the part. :lol:

Warren -

Well done Kai. My 4 ring was great for the 30 or 40 first AG brews. Once the system was sorted out speeding up became more important than being quiet. I give you maybe 30 brews before thinking the same way. But the good thing is the 4 ring will still get used when you do a double brew day.

Just got my nasa burner home this arvo and fired it up and .... DAMN, that thing is scary. :blink:
I'm very impressed by the huge range on the output that everyone seems to comment on.

Oh yeah, you missed that four ring burners are quieter then the NASA, Kai.

Yeah, yeah, NASA's are loud. I have one, and I'm the first to admit that. However... I really love it! There's something about hearing that massive ROAR that made me fall in love with my NASA the minute I took it home. I think it's because hearing the noise is an audio way of telling me that there's some huge power pumping under my pot, and it compliments the sounds of me running away with my clothes on fire (well, that never happened, but it feels like it sometimes :p)

Back