Turn Up The Heat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a detailed description.

Note: Parts marked with an asterisk are most likely not available from Bunnings. Try an engineering supplies or somebody that sells compressed air fittings etc.

Got these bits from;
Newlands Fasteners and Engineering Supplies.
1/89 Newlands Rd. Nth. Coburg
Ph: 9354 1461 Fax: 9354 8087

:excl: Note attempt this at your own risk. If you're not confident get a gasfitter to do it. If you try it yourself don't blame me if you turn yourself into roast barley. :)

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

These are the bits that did the trick. I've got no idea of their name. You need to get 1/2 inch to 1/3 inch reduction IIRC.

Warren -

DSC00177.JPG

Hey Warren, I hope you don't mind but I have used your 3 tier system as a standard for mine and have started building my own, I was wondering what you used for standing the burner on and how have you found it?
My set up will be a little different from yours because I will be using the burner for the HLT and Kettle and I think from memory you heat your sparge water with an electric element?
Anyway thanks for the inspiration and I hope you take it as a compliment to your design. :super:

warrenlw63 said:
These are the bits that did the trick. I've got no idea of their name. You need to get 1/2 inch to 1/3 inch reduction IIRC.

Warren -
[post="68742"][/post]​

1/3 inch...... Please explain! Is that a MPT thread (mexican pipe thread). :D

Borret

Sorry Borret, :blink:

Told you all I'm a plumbing (and imperial) numpty. All I know is the fitting I got goes from a 1/2 inch to 9mm male thread. The same size as your average BBQ gas hose size.

What is 9mm in imperial ??? :unsure:

Warren -

Mexican pipe thread. :lol:

Betcha whatever comes out the end stinks. :blink:

Montezuma's Revenge. :p

Warren -

I think those are similar to compressed air tapered thread fittings which are 5/16 inch

I'm pretty sure that SBT (standard BBQ Thread ) = 1/4" BSP. Again the overall dimension doesn't neccesarily relate to the pipe size.

MMMMmmm, Chilli gas.

Borret

Another vote of thanks to Chiller for identifying the NASA burner. I love mine!

And since I know that Batz would be disappointed if I hadnt destroyed the clean engineering lines with something dodgy, here is a pic of my solution to the hot gas line problem. Its ugly, but it works. The gas line can be touched with a bare hand after running for an hour. And, in my defence, the holes were already drilled in the frame when it arrived.

nasa1.jpg

Guest Lurker said:
Another vote of thanks to Chiller for identifying the NASA burner. I love mine!

And since I know that Batz would be disappointed if I hadnt destroyed the clean engineering lines with something dodgy, here is a pic of my solution to the hot gas line problem. Its ugly, but it works. The gas line can be touched with a bare hand after running for an hour. And, in my defence, the holes were already drilled in the frame when it arrived.
[post="76261"][/post]​

Congratulations GL. I used those two pre-drilled holes to rig up a ss bracket to stop the burner from wriggling around.
Not wanting to be critical :blink: , but are a lot of NASA users screwing the regulator down too far & thus wasting gas through unneeded pressure, & as a consequence, heating up the regulating valve unnecessarily? I don't need gloves to adjust the flame & find that the NASA cools down really quickly. I must admit that this took a bit of trial & error to work out. :p

:beer:

Woo Hoo. My new NASA burner just arrived from Globe!
Turkeys are trembling for miles around. :eek:

I think I asked this a while back, but can't remember a reply - How economical are these burners? How many brews are you getting from the standard large bottle?

I get just under 5 brews from my burner, model RH31LT. I say just under because I ran out of gas 10 min before the end of a 90 min boil :angry: but the 4 before were 60 min boils.

Hey Ross, I would have thought an experienced brew like you would have one of these burners. Out of interest what are you using at the moment and what is its performance and economy like?

Jye

Does anybody know if you can run these burners of mains gas as well as bottled?

RobW said:
Does anybody know if you can run these burners of mains gas as well as bottled?
[post="82268"][/post]​

I think these burners require a high preasure regulator. The one you use on your BBQ or standard 3-4 ring burners just doesn't cut it.

burner.jpg

Back