NASA Burner: Using it (for first time)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermeupscotty

Reaction score
After a bit of reading, I decided to purchase a NASA burner for my 65L SS stock pot, in which I hope to do double-batches. Before I ignite it for the first time, I had a few questions to ask those who've gone before me...:

Regulator - is the stock regulator ok, or should I purchase a replacement? What's the benefit of a different regulator? The stock one says: outlet P = 150kPa, flow rate = 2kg/h, with corresponding inlet P = 250-1750kPa.

Stand - it comes with a little metal stand but do I need extra clearance between A) floor-to-flame; or B) flame-to-pot?
It'll be on concrete - will the heat crack it? Can cinder blocks be used for clearance, or do I need refrac bricks? Will the flame scorch the wort? Should I use some kind of plate to disperse the heat onto the pot?

Paint - I've read that after the first burn, I should scrape away all of the melted paint with a metal brush. I intend to do this.

Any other hints for a first-time user?

Cheers.

beermeupscotty said:
After a bit of reading, I decided to purchase a NASA burner for my 65L SS stock pot, in which I hope to do double-batches. Before I ignite it for the first time, I had a few questions to ask those who've gone before me...:

Regulator - is the stock regulator ok, or should I purchase a replacement? What's the benefit of a different regulator? The stock one says: outlet P = 150kPa, flow rate = 2kg/h, with corresponding inlet P = 250-1750kPa.
I have one of these the stock reg is fine
Stand - it comes with a little metal stand but do I need extra clearance between A) floor-to-flame; or B) flame-to-pot?
It'll be on concrete - will the heat crack it? Can cinder blocks be used for clearance, or do I need refrac bricks? Will the flame scorch the wort? Should I use some kind of plate to disperse the heat onto the pot?
The frame is great too just make sure the bolt that runs through it and bolts to the frame is tightened when you feel it getting loose, my bolt bent and it was a prick of a job to get it out and a new one in.
I've used mine on concrete for years no cracks exploding or otherwise.
I've also used it in the back yard of the grass expect a patch of dead grass if you do lol
clearances are fine too maybe get a wind break for it.
I have a 60l alum pot and never had a scorched wort and I only ever go full bore flame!
It is VERY VERY Loud though.
Paint - I've read that after the first burn, I should scrape away all of the melted paint with a metal brush. I intend to do this.
I never did I do oil mine down if i'm not going to use it for a few weeks, it burns off in the first few seconds of use
Any other hints for a first-time user?
GO HARD! and just relax have a home brew!
Cheers.

I use the same one stock (not on blocks, factory reg.) for 20litre batches, I have to throttle it right back for my boil but it goes great and heats to strike temp real quick.
Its run on concrete and I haven't noticed any issues, all the heat is going up!
You do have to run it to burn all the factory goo off. It'll give off some nasty black crap, then run again with a pot of water on as it alters the shape of the flame a bit.
Enjoy

Also use one of these on the boil kettle, using a medium pressure reg(it came with) easily brings 70L to the boil, the only prob I find if I was to be picky is having to really watch for boil overs on ramping, and fairly high boil off rate, most would say these are both desirable!

MB

I've got one, all what flash said and;

Take it out side for your first light up with no pot and burn the paint off.

Saves you not getting your pot all black, smoking out your shed and taking 5 years off your life.

Yeah its loud...

Awesome. Thanks a lot for all the replies guys; Sounds like smooth sailing under stock standard conditions.

I like the recommendation of running without the pot to get the black paint off (and protect pot and self).

Bridges said:
You do have to run it to burn all the factory goo off. It'll give off some nasty black crap, then run again with a pot of water on as it alters the shape of the flame a bit.
Enjoy
Hmm, interesting. Ok, I might do that and also record the temp increase over time.

Latest posts

Back