Tsingtao Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not really a recipe but having spent some time in hong kong and having drunk a lot of tsing tao, the clone recipe in 'Clone brews' aint half bad. I recommend it! Do a search on amazon

[quote name='tangent' date='Jun 19 2006, 07:00 PM' post='135277']
err, does that recipe have any enzymes to break the rice starches down?
you need some malt in there instead of crystal to convert the rice
[/quote]

[quote
(You should use a mashing grain such as pilsner malt here according to what I read but as you can see I didn't)
[/quote]

I didn't have any, so I gave it a go with what I had.
It may not have been anywhere near ideal. Which would probably be one of the reasons for the relatively low OG but it is a tasty beer never the less, and fairly close to the style.

I tried this beer at the Tsingtao brewery last year straight from the tap & can't say it was a favourite. Certainly contained a large measure of rice which doesn't enhance it's taste.
I tried it again in Hong Kong earlier this year from a bottle where it was even less palletable.
I think that there may have been a recipe on the old Goliath discussion board - not sure whether this still exists.
I'll try & clip a photo or two of the Tsingtao brewery in Qingdao if I can work the attachment thingy.

PA160158.JPG

Latest posts

Back