Trying Some New Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
I'm heading to Purvis wine cellars (they sell beer too) to grab some beer that I haven't tried before. I want to try some different styles along the lines of scottish ales, IPA's, belgians, dunkelwiezen, dubbel, bocks, anything new that I haven't tried before.

Can anyone recommend any styles/brands to try? I'm gonna buy half a dozen or so different styles and brands so I can get a taste for what some of these styles taste like before I attempt to brew some similar of my own.

White Sheild IPA, Wychwood Hobgoblin, anything Erdinger, Weihestephan & LaTrap are some that spring to mind

why not have a look through the 'whats in the glass - commmercial' thread and see if anything jumps out at you.

its 'kid in a candi store' there, so try anything and go nuts.

pick 1 beer from several styles.

Heller-Trum Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen Smoke Beer
Rochefort 8
Cantillon Gueuze Bio
Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale
duvel (if your havent had it before)
Bridge Road Brewers Chevalier Biere De Garde
belhaven scottish ale
Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock

Also, be sure to pick up some unibroue while your there, as they no longer will be available in Aus. They had a few last week when I was in. Also recomend the Sarnac (or saranac, not sure, from NY) Imp IPA 11% but surprisingly balanced - this will also let you know if you like hops, or :wub: hops...

Oh and +1 to the candi store analogy.

Ok I go there occasionally, these are in my opinion the best examples of the respective styles that they stock.

IPA - for american, try jamieson beast or rogue 200 metre ale. english i prefer samuel smiths or fullers ipa.

tripel - st bernardus or westmalle

quad/strong dark - st bernardus 12, rochefort 8 or 10.

scotch ale - traquair jacobite or house ale.

I don't really drink bocks, dunkelweizens or many other german styles so no help there.

Schnieder Adventinus is the go...

Saison Du Pont is also one of my favs

Also, be sure to pick up some unibroue while your there, as they no longer will be available in Aus. They had a few last week when I was in. Also recomend the Sarnac (or saranac, not sure, from NY) Imp IPA 11% but surprisingly balanced - this will also let you know if you like hops, or :wub: hops...

WTF? why not??

I think you are refering to the Southern Tier Unearthly IIPA? Saranac are a pretty average brewery, and dont make a IIPA. Atleast not one that we get here.

Southern Tier on the other hand.... :icon_drool2:

WTF? why not??
Demand in North America basically.

They can't keep up with sales their so their "lesser" markets have to go until they have increased capacity.

That's the story I heard anyway.
The last shipment, which came in recently, was rumoured to be the last in some time...

Don't know what you have and haven't tried but

Belgian

Westmalle, Chimay, Lindeman's (if you're interested in sour), Rochefort, orval

German wheat, dunkel and weizenbocks:

Schofferhoffer, Erdinger, Schneider Aventinus, Weistephaner

Second the Scherlenka Marzen Rauchbier (very smoky beer - quite intense so maybe just buy one until you know you like it).

Hunt up some Black sheep ale and old speckled hen too.

Chimay,Rochefort10, Trois Pistoles, Piraat and La Chouffe are some favs
+1 Aventinus

WTF? why not??
Asked
Demand in North America basically.

They can't keep up with sales their so their "lesser" markets have to go until they have increased capacity.

That's the story I heard anyway.
The last shipment, which came in recently, was rumoured to be the last in some time...
and answered, and this is my reading of the situation as well.
I think you are refering to the Southern Tier Unearthly IIPA? Saranac are a pretty average brewery, and dont make a IIPA. Atleast not one that we get here.

Southern Tier on the other hand.... :icon_drool2:
Correct. and my apologies. Unearthly is the one!

I literally haven't tried any of these beers, but I intend to. I've only tried the stuff you can get from Dan's, 1st choice, bws, liquorland etc.

ie. the most adventurous I've tried is fat yak pale.

Anyone know of any other stores in melbourne (prefer eastern) that stock less commercially known beers such as the ones you guys have posted?

Purvis is the best store in eastern suburbs. The only other places that i know of in Melbourne are Slowbeer in hawthorn (awesome place) and Acland st cellars.

1st choice in ringwoopd isnt bad., you can pick up
Westmalle, Chimay, Lindeman's kriek, Rochefort, orval, Trois Pistoles

otherwse burnt bridge bottlo in ringwood on maroondah hwy just after intersection of oban road is good. they geneerally have a good selection of megaswill and the good stuff (its also my local bottlo)

I literally haven't tried any of these beers, but I intend to. I've only tried the stuff you can get from Dan's, 1st choice, bws, liquorland etc.

ie. the most adventurous I've tried is fat yak pale.

Anyone know of any other stores in melbourne (prefer eastern) that stock less commercially known beers such as the ones you guys have posted?

Your education is going to cost you..........but at least you can work on reproducing them at a much better price!!

When i go to one of these specialty bottle shops I usually leave with 4 - 6 beers for $30 to $40.

It's an investment!!!!

Your education is going to cost you..........but at least you can work on reproducing them at a much better price!!

When i go to one of these specialty bottle shops I usually leave with 4 - 6 beers for $30 to $40.

It's an investment!!!!
I know... I've seen their prices online! But there's probably a good reason a 6 pack of some of their good stuff costs similar to a slab of CUB megaswill. Quality over quantity.

Otherwise I gotta find some good pubs with some different stuff on tap... won't be as expensive.

My local Dan has a somewhat decent selection of real beer with an emphasis on aussie microbreweries.

Try 10 beer from 10 different styles eg pale ale, IPA, wheat, belgian, stout, porter, pilsner and that should give you an idea as what appeals.

Read the BJCP guide for styles and flavour profiles, perhaps do some research of hop varieties.

Then of course brew, brew and brew somewhere (with plenty of drinking in between) :)

some other good beers to try (which i'm doing atm as well) to educate yourself are the mikkeler single hop beers and I think Bridge road have a galaxy single hop beer aswell, If you want to learn your hops that is :icon_cheers:

Back