try something new

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the info on the wheats , i shall try a few more , but i remember havin wheat beers years ago , and they didnt taste like that ...hmmm ...redback before it was taken over , but i understand its not really a wheat , maybe thats the prob

anyway back to testing :lol:

:chug: :chug:
simon

I tried Fullers "Honey Dew" the other day with a mate. It wasn't as good as I remembered; still a nice honey brewed beer. It lacked the upfront honey character that I was expecting.

Also in the same sitting I tried "Dogbolter" dark lager for the first time. This kind of brew isn't usually my thing, but I was pleasantly surprised! It tasted full and round, yet crisp at the same time. Recommended.

Vinds.

I liked MSB Colonial wheat a lot - found it a delicious beer and much better than the last wheat I brewed (too much clove). Also like their IPA and pilsener. Another one I loved was Coopers vintage ale. And mustn't forget Sheaf Stout.
cheers
reg

tripel karmeliert ( belguim trappist ale) 8% and i reckon nicer than the chimay`s i`ve had , but that said i had this one only, chilled ...mmmm friuty complex ...rich ( may have had the others to cold :unsure: )
DAB german lager . very drinkable ....mild .... :)

:chug: :chug: :chug:

simon

ok i found a wheat i like :)
erdinger Weisbier , mmmmm get some of this if you see it , :chug:

I tried "Trumar Pils" on Xmas day. It was quite nice, even though I don't like pilsener. It tasted like... well, a typical pilsener, I guess :)

Also I had "Oakbank Beer" from Adelaide. Reminded me of Coopers Sparkling - considering that Oakbank is brewed in Adelaide, that's hardly surprising. It was quite refreshing.

Vinds.

Good Day
I turned 50 a couple of weeks ago and besides other things I was given over 60 stubbies of beers from around the world, everything from Budweiser to Pilsner Urquell ( the San Miquel proved that VB can be made overseas ).
I use a 50 point score sheet to score each beer (so I am obsessed ) with comments so I have some idea if I want to brew the style in the future. Most of the mass European lagers/pils ( Becks, Carlsberg, Stella etc ) all seem to have a very similar character, definate but light malt, noticeable but light hop bitterness and character, pleasant to drink but all could have more malt and hop character. They usually score in the mid 30's, great appearance, body to style, medium marks for aroma and flavour and 6-7/10 for overall. PU was in the low 40's and would be higher but it had a honey hint of age about it.
Steinlager was a pleasant surprise while Southwark Premium Lager was not ( can anyone give a background to this beer?).
There are some idle thoughts.
PS Boddington's Pub Ale was great looking but exceptionally bland.

yes , boddies looks great , feels great in the mouth ....but then ..nothing :(
what a let down

Chimay blue, one of my alltime favourite brews.
also my local supermarket has several Czech lagers, all very nice
500ml bottles less than $3 each

I had some imported beers (English and Belgian) over Christmas and was largely disappointed. I'm wondering if it's primarily a problem with freshness, storage and travelling distance. Only one thing for it - will just have to pop over to Europe to do some tasting on the spot. :)

cheers
reg

Just to add my two bob's worth,
Met some friends at "The Mean Fiddler" the other day and had a pint of Harp Lager (Irish). O.K it was very hot and dry and went down VERY easy. Reminded me of a slightly fruity Munich Lager.BTW it was from the tap.
Hopefully I'll get back there soon. :D

Kostritzer Schwarzbier

Hofbrau Dunkel

Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock (12%)...yummmm

Reedspacer deifinitely gets the gong for resurrecting the oldest post in recent memory! :p

I tried the Redoak Vienna Lager and Rauchbier last week. Mmmm... more please :)

Shawn.

I tried a Montieth's (sp?) Lager on saturday at a mates place.
Very nice beer. Easy to drink. A little sweet, but not in a bad way.
Drank out of the bottle so didn't really get much aroma.

My mate has just moved about 100 meters from Amato's liquor in Leichardt.
He said he went there the other day and they have a sign out the from saying they have over 300 different beers.

I'm going to have to check it out soon.
He's having a bbq on Australia Day so might be hte perfect opportunity....

Rich

My SO purchased a bottle of Emerson's 1812 India PA the other day. $8.50 or so a bottle makes it a little prohibitive cost wise though.

So far I haven't really had any Kiwi beers that have made me go wow! This one is an exception very nice drop. Great hop flavour/aroma with some woody overtones.

Only downside (besides the crazy price) is the lack of bitterness in the finish.

Try it if you've got more money than sense. :p

Warren -

Kiwi beers have always been on the sweet side.......

Wes

well soon ill get to try heaps of kiwi beers when im over there plus i plan to go to emersons

Yep mostly in the south island so i hope to go to lots of brew pubs and bring bacjk some hop pellets

Was in Salzburg on a ski trip a couple of years ago and came across Stiegl beer. 50% beer/50%lemon soda.

At the time I thought it was disgusting.

Now when I look back, I think, it wasn't that bad.

Anyone know if you can get it here in Oz.

When in Austria, try Stiegl beer

SF

Latest posts

Back