Triple Threat - The perfect summer beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundawake

Reaction score
I started with Lord Raja Goomba's famous beer recipe, tweaked the grain bill to add more rye and did my own hop schedule. And it's turned out a bloody cracker. Rye and Citra go together like peas and carrots.

Triple Threat (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 7.6 (EBC): 14.9
Bitterness (IBU): 37.4 (Average)

77.97% Golden Promise Malt
16.57% Rye Malt
5.46% Caramunich I

1 g/L Centennial (10.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.5 g/L Cascade (7.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Citra (11.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

0.2 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 80 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Notes: Dry hop 25g Citra day 5

Looks delicious. Just about every time I use citra I throw in 15-20% rye in the grist.

As you say, peas and carrots.

looks awesome, but i would swap the cascade and centennial. love centennial flavour :icon_drool2:

Here's a pic of it after 3 weeks in the bottle. Not much head yet as its still young, also I bottled it after only 10 days with no cold crashing (as I had to fly interstate at late notice) so there's a fair bit of yeast sediment, but still god danged delicious. It's a good middle of the road beer, enough hop flavour and aroma to keep the beer nerds interested while still being extremely quaffable for the Hahn Super Dry crowd.

0D785697-95FA-42C9-8A95-F90FEC457066_zpskhc10ezw.jpg

fletcher said:
looks awesome, but i would swap the cascade and centennial. love centennial flavour :icon_drool2:
Funny you say that, I've only ever really used Centennial as a bittering hop, but I've just written up a new recipe to use up the rest of this year's hops from the freezer, and it has some Centennial late hopping too. Looking forward to it. Once that recipe is done and tasted I'll post it

soundawake said:
Funny you say that, I've only ever really used Centennial as a bittering hop, but I've just written up a new recipe to use up the rest of this year's hops from the freezer, and it has some Centennial late hopping too. Looking forward to it. Once that recipe is done and tasted I'll post it
sounds great! pop it in the what's brewing III thread

Centennial is great late, and even dry hopped. Like a more floral version of cascade. Definitely don't save it just for bittering purposes.. it's a great multi-purpose hop.

Centennial is awesome, used it for aroma and flavour in a semi SMaSH and that is sooo good.

Mind you the Citra Pale I am drinking too early ATM tastes bloody fine too.

Latest posts

Back