Recipe critique/feedback/suggestions AIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyF

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been a long time between brews due to various commitments but I have a little time and would like to use up some grain and hops that have been sitting around for a while.

I've done a number of all grain brews but usually, they are either someone else's recipe or a modification of said recipe. To get rid of this old grain/hops, I have thrown together my own "******* mix" and would like some feedback on how this might go together.

I originally came up with this:
=============================
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (°P): 14.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 6.5 %
Colour (SRM): 14.2 (EBC): 28.8
2.82kg Barrett Burston - Pale Malt
1.25kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt
0.75kg Crystal 60
1.00kg Weyermann Vienna Malt
0.100kg Biscuit

10g Magnum (13.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
30g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
44g Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)
40g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

I then realised I had 40gm of Simcoe left over and modified to use the Simcoe as my bittering hop
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (°P): 14.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 6.5 %
Colour (SRM): 14.2 (EBC): 28.8
2.82kg Barrett Burston - Pale Malt
1.25kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt
0.75kg Crystal 60
1.00kg Weyermann Vienna Malt
0.100kg Biscuit

40g Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
30g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ Flame out (Aroma)
44g Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)
40g Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Is the revision a waste of Simcoe hops being used for bittering (I have a crap load of Magnum)?
Will the biscuit work in this beer or is it odd for this style?

Any comments on the grain or hops being used (or the way in which they are being used - amounts, timing etc?)

Thanks in advance folks!

Cheers,
Tony

1) what's your target fermenter volume?
2) what's your IBU (don't see it listed)
3) Ben Edmunds (head brewer for Breakside Brewing) uses a dark Munich (so roughly 20L) in one of his IPA's, and while it does impart a malty / biscuit flavor, it's not overwhelming at all. Looking at your ratios, it seems like you're probably going to do just fine with the biscuit.
4) I'd suggest doing a side by side comparison of Magnum to the Simcoe via a hop tea, and letting that guide your choice.

Thanks for the reply captn!

1) I'm looking at a target ferment volume of 20L
2) IBUs initial recipe was 52 IBU and 62 IBU for the revision (might possibly knock the revisions bitterness back a tad if I got that way)

It was suggested to me that 750g might be a little too much C60 in there and I should look at possibly 200g maximum and closer to 100-150g, any thoughts on this?

Being that they are both being used as bittering hops for the full 60 mins, would there be very little (if any) flavour coming out of the Simcoe/Magnum?

Thanks again for the suggestions and help!

To get 6% plus , your efficiency must be awesome from that grain bill.
Crystal above 8% is too much for my palate. See how you go. You could use Nottingham yeast and dry it out, if you find it is too sweet.

Simcoe boiling for that long can give off a cat piss smell. see what others say.

I find that Tomahawk is a nice bittering hop, I do alternate between Mag and Tomahawk regularly.

Flame out hops and steeping around 80 will give nice aromas and help reduce high IBU's ,30- 50- will appeal to most drinkers.

Thanks for the reply TwoCrows!

I have my efficiency down as 70% in Brewmate which I always thought might be a little on the low side?

I'm not partial to cat piss... so I guess I might either cut back the time the Simcoe is in for or just bitter with Magnum. What kind of time would NOT give off these cat piss flavours?

I might knock it them both down to about 50 IBU.

Thanks for the tips!

that was a good catch on the C60 ratio, looking at my go to recipe for IPA, i'm putting 10% of the Munich, and just shy of 4% of C40, so yeah, I think dialing it back a fair bit wouldn't hurt (I'm at .5lbs /or/ 227grams of the C40).

Yes, boiling the hops will drive off most of volatile aromatics, but they will still have a differing hop taste per se. and I can't really guide you as to which is better or worse, given personal preference and all that.

Thanks Captn and TwoCrows!

I've now dialled back the C60 to 0.15 kg and will be bittering with 15g of Magnum (to give an IBU of 44.6)!

Back