Transferring from the Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
How do people transfer from the cube to the FV? I'm especially interested in the best way to do this when cube hopping.

Most of the time I use the 15L (more like 17L) water containers from Bunnnings. It's light enough to control the pour so that I can leave most of the hop matter and trube in the cube without pouring it all into the FV, but on occasions I use a 20l (more like 23l) plastic jerry can that is too hard to control and the "glugging" makes it really difficult to a) get the wort into the FV without spilling and b) not transfer a heap of hops and trube as well.

I've tried pouring through a sieve and funnel but the sieve often blocks. A couple of times I've replaced the cubes bung with a tap which helps (particularly with the 15L vessels with the hump in the middle) but I'm not all that confident in the taps seal not letting nasties in so i try to avoid that if I can.

I could siphon I suppose but it means cleaning more equipment and it's more stuffing around than I'd like so I'm keen to hear how others do it.

I know that there isn't a whole lot wrong with transferring the trube and even hops but I find the clarity of my beers are much better if I don't transfer everything. Also know that others ferment in the cube, but I'm not keen on that either.

cheers

I puts my hops in a hop sock in the cube then pour through a sieve. It manages to catch the hop sock and bigger lumps

Taps are fine if you don't bump them on a hot cube.
Otherwise tip and forget the hop and cold break trub (presuming you left the hot break in the kettle) or do as I do and ferment in the cube, no transfer till packaging.

Rambo said:
I use one of these, makes transferring very easy. No mess and good airation. And use a sieve if I've cube hopped, no problem with blocking up cause most of the hops come out at the end.

http://kegking.com.au/brewery-equipment/fermenters/tap-in-cap-cube-tap-with-venting-valve.html
I'm with ya here Rambo. I've used one of these for years. I let it fall from my cube (on it's side of course) from a table into the fermenter, lots of splashing and 02 it happening. I do have to remove it about 1/2 way through due to the foam, it's an easy pour from there. If you wanted to hang a hop bag on it to catch hops etc I think it would work no problem. I personally have never found the need.
As manticle said a tap in a hot cube is asking for trouble.

Batz

I pour from a great height to get lots of air into the wort, I put the hop and break into the fermenter.

Same here.
Although I have a 20L cube I generally use 2 x 10L cubes that have better surface to volume ratio for cooling and easy to handle. I cube hop, it all goes in.

I usually only bother if I've used whole hops.

A colander fits inside the fv, and that catches em.

If trying to remove more of the hop debris then I'll pour through the colander into a grain bag lining the inside of the fermenter. More things to sanitise and then clean, so it doesn't happen often.

I know what you mean about the 20litre cubes....they spill a bit. I cant get the correct angle to avoid the dribble or the splash.

Regarding trub I used a stocking once to sieve out the crud. It blocked up and was full of wort .....it looked like a swollen cow udder. I squeezed it to get more liquid out and it exploded green trub everywhere.

Now i just tip everything in and dont worry.....or ferment in the cube if i have headspace.

+1 here for the tap pouring from table height and then when the foam gets too much I remove the tap and pour. Everything in the cube goes into the fermenter. Until recently I used to hand pour and made a right feckin mess of the floor and my feet. The tap is one of the best sub $10 purchases that I have made.

I use a jerry can and pour it sideways, nice smooth pour all the way. I remember someone else saying that if you put the opening (of a normal cube) uppermost when pouring you get the same result....

I fit the tap to the cube just before transferring to the FV, use a sanitised hose to affect the transfer and aerate using an aquarium pump, filter and diffusion stone. No mess. I use 25L cubes to ferment as I can fit 4 at a go in the ferment fridge, but like the idea of removing hops, cold break etc before fermenting

My cubes have taps in them as well. I use 25 litre cubes and it is a bit of a PITA trying to pour these into the FV. The weight isn't so much of a problem but they do make a bit of a mess with the glugging. So I re-fitted taps I had used previously, and now I simply set the cube up on a bench, stick a short length of plastic tube into the tap and let it flow. I tried it without the tube but it tends to go everywhere, the tube keeps it in a neat stream. (this sounds dodgy as shit :lol:) Once it is near empty I pick the cube up and angle it to get the last bit out. I don't worry too much about the trub getting into the FV although some does get left behind in the cube, maybe a litre or so. Works for me anyway. :)

Anyone who has trouble with glugging cubes has never filled a deep fryer in a commercial kitchen.

Back