Transferring from kettle to fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume the goal of this is to end up with good tasting clear beer? I allow trub up until the transfer to the keg.

As part of my 30/30 school night brew routine I don't worry about trub from kettle to fermenter (no chill). I skip the whirlpool, leaving behind a few litres in the kettle (very trubby) and use a 13mm in-line irrigation filter (along with CC + gelatine) when I (finally) transfer from fermenter to keg.

This is done purely for time savings (whirlpooling) while still getting clear good tasting beer (IMHO) into the glass.

I don't have enough experience to determine if this process is creating (small)problems with the end result taste-wise, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

There's been a fermenting with/out trub backyard experiment where there was very little difference in the end result, in fact the trubby one might have been ahead in some flavour aspects.

Happy to be told of any potential issues with my process however.

In terms of trub contributing (or contrubuting) to blockages, a big soft silicone hose can be easily squeezed to push the liquid back up the line to fix upstream blockages during transfers..

rude said:
Would love a stainless steel cube to N/C in
Stainless steel cube for no chilling is not recommended, due to the contraction of the wort as it cools. A metal cube (properly sealed, as that is the point of no chill) will likely crumple and be damaged. HDPE is best.

There were some photos on this forum some time ago of a s/s urn/kettle in which a brewer tried to no chill by sealing the lid on. The results were not pretty.

Seems to me you had a good system going there before you decided you would like to pitch the yeast on the same day, if you were happy with the results you were getting why not continue along those lines instead of giving yourself more headaches.

I use a whirlpool IC, takes about an average of 20min to get down to 18c, depending on ambient temp, I spray the outside of the kettle with a water bottle while the chiller is running, helps rip the heat out.

I remove chiller, whirlpool with a sanitized paddle and let it sit 20min with the lid on, then a nice slow pump transfer to fermenter, I factor in 4-5 litres loss to trub, as long as I transfer slowly a clear area roughly 100mm diameter forms around my pick up elbow, leaves most of the trub behind and seems to work consistently everytime.

what size batches DML? 4-5L loss to trub seems like a lot if doing 21-23L batches, but sounds reasonable for double batches.

Hey mate, it's for 45L into the fermenter, I usually finish with about 50L post boil, I could probably try and get more from the kettle but I have consistent results doing it this way.

Rob.P said:
I do the boil.
Let.sit.for 20
Whirlpool
Let sit for 20
Transfer to a cube
Seal and.let cool overnight
I then store the cube in my fermenting chamber and.pitch my yeast at leisure. Be it the day after or a couple of weeks.
I do exactly what you do Rob. It works quite well doesn't it.

Latest posts

Back