transfer from fermenter to keg - pump or gas pressure?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarks6

Reaction score
I have a 60litre fermenter in a fridge, with insufficient height to gravity feed to kegs.

Can I use a little 12v brown pump to pump it in, or is this likely to cause oxegenation?

Is it preferable to use slight CO2 presure on the fermenter?

If the plumbing is ok there should be no issue with oxygenation.

I'd be cautious about pressurising your fermenter unless you're sure it can take the pressure - there is the possibility of bursting it (although unlikely).

Shouldnt cause oxygenation if you purge the keg first with Co2 and burp it to remove oxygen. Then just pump directly into your liquid side so it fills from the bottom of the dip tube..BUT I would be very wary of how sanitary and clean your brown pump is.
Ive seen the shit that gets stuck inside these no matter how much you clean them, unless you pull it apart first to clean.

If you cant siphon as suggested then Co2 pressure should do it. Just be careful of the pressure but a fermenter should handle the pressure required to push beer into a keg. YMMV

Or get a peristaltic pump

CO2 for sure. Its simpe and its what you want in your beer anyway. Pumping could introduce oxygen, leading to an oxidised beer.

the plastic fermenters can handle enough pressure to transfer liquid. Is it too heavy to lift higher? I used to fill the first keg as it was high enough for gravity to do the first one and then 20kg lighter you can lift up the fermenter to somewhere higher.

I've successfully used co2 to transfer from my 60l fermenter. Only problem is you use a hell of a lot of gas.
I also use a lbp after starting it off with gas. I found I was starting to get off flavours after a while.

Anymore feedback on this topic. I was thinking of using my magnetic pump (mk2) to transfer fermented beer to the keg out of my 60litre fermenter.
Either that or pump it from the fridge to another fermenter (tap to tap) to a height where I could then keg/bottle from.
Only issue I see is an infection from the pump. But if that's clean then there's nothing to worry about.

Back