Top Cropping Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabooby

Hey muscly arms!!!!
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you can top crop a lager yeast considering it is bottom fermenting.

I have done this several times with Ale yeasts and had great sucess. Everything I have read suggest that this can be done with top fermenting ale yeast ( in particular english ale yeasts) as there is a very viable yeast in the krausen. If a lager yeast is bottom fermenting does that mean that there is little viable yeast in the krausen?

Anyone done this before? Are you better of keeping some slurry from the bottom.

I have already taken some krausen from a lager I have fermenting at the moment and might experiment with it anyways

Kabooby :)

I was just wondering if you can top crop a lager yeast considering it is bottom fermenting.

I have done this several times with Ale yeasts and had great sucess. Everything I have read suggest that this can be done with top fermenting ale yeast ( in particular english ale yeasts) as there is a very viable yeast in the krausen. If a lager yeast is bottom fermenting does that mean that there is little viable yeast in the krausen?

Anyone done this before? Are you better of keeping some slurry from the bottom.

I have already taken some krausen from a lager I have fermenting at the moment and might experiment with it anyways

Kabooby :)
[/quote ] If there is krausen then there is going to be yeast in it.The top and bottom thing can be confusing.The yeast acts all the way through the fermenter and not just at the top or bottom.Ales just tend to show a lot more head than do "bottom" fermenting yeasts hence can be "top cropped" better during fermentation.Give it a go.
GB

Yeh I figured that there would have to be yeast in the Krausen. Just wasnt sure if it was the good stuff.

I will report back with results

I am sure if you are sanitary it will be as good as any other yeast one collects.
Looking forward to hear the outcome.

Latest posts

Back