Tooheys Pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A) I have a mature palate......I'm 45 and have been drinking beer since 16.

^^
Ok then.....name the malts, hops and yeast used to make that beer?

Mate you see that's my point.
I totally respect your ability to brew. That is not my beef.
My point is that cause it's from a bigger brewer you guys don't rate it. Fair enough......but you can't slag the blokes that do like it.
Cause I don't think it's too bad at all.
By the way....never been a brewer and don't want to be. I've had enough of mates home brews to know that
A) home brewing is good for my fat tummy.....not
B)good god the variety from Belgian to German........love Belgian by the way........aren't as good as buying them from the original maker.

We've tried making Kwak, leffe blonde, Trappist chocolate ales, coopers...........none as good as the original

Sorry, but Darling Pale Ale is bland and boring as bat shit, Thin and watery and lacks, well, anything really, as I have said before

I am not against the bigger breweries. I love Tooheys Old and Sheaf Stout. Both up there in my top 3 beers

To be honest mate, you're either a troller of the highest quality, or you've joined a home brew site and first post is defending/advocating for a beer that even my most base of palates can tell is not the most distinctive. You say yourself home brew has no interest for you. Yes, the Tooheys is very well made...but I can and do regularly make beers that leave it for dead in terms of DISTINCTIVE taste, aroma etc characteristics...and I've had the beers of many other blokes who would be able to objectively say the same.

I heard a guy last night talking about how awesome fat yak is and the new lazy yak was a bit less hoppy and more refined. The beer geek in me cried a little, but I didn't shoot the guy down or make him feel bad, people can drink what makes them happy, if they want an education then I'll be happy to talk beer, i grew up on VB.

The good thing about these new beers is that they are encouraging the palate of the mega swill drinkers to change slightly towards craft.. That's a good thing.

Rob.P said:
I heard a guy last night talking about how awesome fat yak is and the new lazy yak was a bit less hoppy and more refined. The beer geek in me cried a little, but I didn't shoot the guy down or make him feel bad, people can drink what makes them happy, if they want an education then I'll be happy to talk beer, i grew up on VB.

The good thing about these new beers is that they are encouraging the palate of the mega swill drinkers to change slightly towards craft.. That's a good thing.
I have a good mate who only drinks XXXX Gold

He is always having a go at me for drinking Coopers " dish water" at the pub.

To him a good beer must be crystal clear with bubbles showing.

danestead said:
I have so much beer coming out my ears in the form of home brew, and so many more recipes I want to try that if I get the chance to go to the bottleshop id rather give my money to an actual craft brewery who brews beer to taste superb with less focus on brewing a beer that will appeal to the maximum number of people possible. Faux craft beers and breweries are probably run by office folk with no idea on how to brew whereas id say 99% of real craft breweries are started and run by the head brewer.
Whilst I agree with most of you comments, I highly doubt 99% of craft brewery`s are started by the head brewer.

Ok so I've had a bit of a dig at Tooheys saying I don't want to make them anymore profitable than they are already. Everyone is bagging the beer out and yes its probably bland as cardboard but Id say the technical side of the brewing is second to none. Put the beer in a comp as a Pale Ale and it would probably get done on style big time. So I think that is the problem here. Its being branded as a Pale Ale when in my opinion it would probably score poorly as one so they are using the style as false advertising. For it to be respected by myself, there would need to be a category in which it scores highly because at the moment its just a really piss poor attempt at a pale ale from the comments people are making.

Note: I dont mean to say I will not like a beer that isnt suited to a particular BJCP style, Im just saying, if you are going to label it as a BJCP style, then brew a bit damn closer to what its meant to be.

Trewhella said:
Mate you see that's my point.
I totally respect your ability to brew. That is not my beef.
My point is that cause it's from a bigger brewer you guys don't rate it. Fair enough......but you can't slag the blokes that do like it.
By the way....never been a brewer and don't want to be. I've had enough of mates home brews to know that
B)good god the variety from Belgian to German........love Belgian by the way........aren't as good as buying them from the original maker.

We've tried making Kwak, leffe blonde, Trappist chocolate ales, coopers...........none as good as the original
Wait....."By the way....never been a brewer and don't want to be" is then followed by "We've tried making Kwak, leffe blonde, Trappist chocolate ales, coopers"......

Troll I`d say....

Burt de Ernie said:
Wait....."By the way....never been a brewer and don't want to be" is then followed by "We've tried making Kwak, leffe blonde, Trappist chocolate ales, coopers"......

Troll I`d say....
Either a troll or some sort of megaswilling accountant on a forum way out of his/her depth.

Perhaps his mates are making shitty homebrews a la kit and kg of sugar fermented at 30 degrees and bottled after 4 days... I brew pale ales all the time, it is one style that I always have success with. These beers always turn out very well and if I was served one unknowingly at a bar I'd probably think it came from a microbrewery. They are well balanced, hoppy, also with a good hop aroma, and flavoursome. None of which can be used to describe Darling Pale Ale. It is bland, and there is little to no hop presence in it. It's a shit example of a great style of beer, simple as that. Not disputing that it is brewed well, it just isn't brewed to the pale ale style.

Just because someone doesn't brew there own beer, does not also mean they don't appreciate good beer or know anything about it

Just because they like Tooheys Pale Ale doesn't also mean they are automatically a troll.

Others on here have said they liked it as well. Are they also troll's ?

It's one thing to like it, but that doesn't mean that it's a good example of the style. If I see a beer labelled pale ale I expect a lot more flavour and aroma in it than this one has.

One question I have is why be on a home brew forum if not a brewer?
Troll, antagonist what ever you want to call it, would be most.people's assumption.

Trewhella said:
His does admit though if he started brewing, the beer would be so good, he couldn't stop and get fatter. Keep to the Toohey's mate and think of your health.

Rob.P said:
One question I have is why be on a home brew forum if not a brewer?
Troll, antagonist what ever you want to call it, would be most.people's assumption.
But not everyone brews

And taking that attitude is probably going to stop some people from wanting to brew because they will think that we are just arrogant

There are plenty who are on this forum who dont brew on a weekly basis. Should they be banned from AHB

I dont recall in the sign-up to AHB that you HAD to be a brewer

And here I was thinking that AHB was an accomodating bunch of guys who.

Taking the view that " You dont brew, so we wont talk to you and call you names " is ******* pathetic

Ducatiboy stu said:
But not everyone brews

And taking that attitude is probably going to stop some people from wanting to brew because they will think that we are just arrogant

There are plenty who are on this forum who dont brew on a weekly basis. Should they be banned from AHB

I dont recall in the sign-up to AHB that you HAD to be a brewer

And here I was thinking that AHB was an accomodating bunch of guys who.

Taking the view that " You dont brew, so we wont talk to you and call you names " is ******* pathetic
Well, it is called, "Aussie Home Brewer". I do believe everyone here is quite accommodating. Someone signing up to the forum to spruik a commercial beer and tell us we have our head up our arses deserves everything he gets.

All he said was he liked it.

And he made a point saying "My point is that cause it's from a bigger brewer you guys don't rate it. Fair enough......but you can't slag the blokes that do like it.

Everyone else made him out to be a troll

And, frankly, there are some on here who do have there heads up there own ass

Now that Coopers is the 3rd biggest brewer in Australia, and they are basically becoming mainstream, do we call anyone who likes Coopers a troll ?

Latest posts

Back