Tooheys Pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madpierre06

Reaction score
Old school label design and packaging tributed to originators. Am interested in giving this a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_campaign=LIO1607+Tooheys+June+Pale+Ale+Release+-+TED&utm_medium=email&utm_source=.MASTER+Tooheys+New&v=vMzwtw1vBHo&feature=youtu.be

LIO1607_Tooheys_June_eDM_Template_HeroImage.jpg

[SIZE=11.5pt]Golden amber in appearance, Tooheys Darling Pale Ale delivers a fruity hop aroma and mild bitterness brought on by a unique blend of three hop varieties. Malted barley and wheat combine to provide balance and a delicate malt backbone.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Tooheys Brewery Director, Mark Toomey said: “Tooheys’ mission is to brew easy drinking beers for every taste. We know that our adult drinkers have an evolving palate, so we are committed to innovation and providing greater choice that suits more occasions, just like the Tooheys brothers did back in the 1870s.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]While attributing the name to a historical site, I wonder if they considered the pressures this will place on a bloke already struggling to move on from Tooheys new [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]"Hey Steve, I'm going to the bar, what do you want, Darling?[/SIZE]

With a "non-challenging flavour"; sounds like they are trying to keep their usual market.

See, I can drink "craft" beer, too; without the strange aroma and taste that small breweries call flavour. I only need a stick on beard, wear my sister's jeans and take the gear lever off my bike, then I will be a non-challenging Hipster

I'm interested enough to give this a try, but yeah the "non-challenging flavour" hasn't got me holding my breath. Actually called into Dan's last night to see if they had a six pack but couldn't see it. Grabbed a four pack of Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer instead as I hadn't tried it. Very interesting beer.

Have seen this at a few independent bottleshops, but Dans are due to get it shortly. I would not be surprised if it becomes one of the monthly $10 six packs at some point.

Give them credit for trying something different. If we label everything as bad, we will develop a very negative world view, and wouldn't be a nice place to live in.

"Non challenging flavour" is an interesting description (and I dont know if that is even a positive description), but when tasting it you will have to taste it as though someone has poured it into your glass without you knowing who has brewed it.

Otherwise, the exercise will be overly subjective and be no different to those that only drink VB or some other mainstream pub beer, and don't give other beers that may present them with some challenging flavour a fair go.

When I first saw these on the shelf, I thought it may have been an old Tooheys beer that had been resurrected.

I would love to have tasted the original 'Tooheys Old'. I bet it is a very different drop to the modern one, but with all the modern processes and refridgeration, would it have been better/worse, and just a completely different dark beer?

Had a few Coopers Mild's in the pub after work today...I knew it was getting to the bottom of the keg as it was getting real thick and muddy...

I dont often get to drink the last few Schooners of a Coopers keg, But I enjoy it when I do

I wonder if this new ale is really an Ale...or just an ale

Brew Matt said:
I would love to have tasted the original 'Tooheys Old'. I bet it is a very different drop to the modern one, but with all the modern processes and refridgeration, would it have been better/worse, and just a completely different dark beer?
Old is supposed to be brewed with an Ale yeast

I do know that JWM do a special Choc Malt at there malting plant in Tamworth. And is not available to anyone else.

I was even given about 2kg of the EXACT Tooheys Old malt....No I wont answer questions about how I got it.

Tony designed a recipe using POR and it was bang on....almost scary it was close..

I still like drinking Old B)

panzerd18 said:
Give them credit for trying something different. If we label everything as bad, we will develop a very negative world view, and wouldn't be a nice place to live in.
Sorry, I'll rephrase

I'm positive it'll be shit

mje1980 said:
Sorry, I'll rephrase

I'm positive it'll be shit
WELL I SUPPOSE UNTIL YOU DRINK IT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW it's all in the palate of who ever drinks it .
I have not even seen it let alone tasted it so the jury is out I reckon
they might reckon what you brew is shit

It's good.
Nice mild hoppy flavour. Malty base, really easy to drink.
Paid 16 bucks at the local for a 6 pack.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1434702904.073592.jpg

With a description like that it sounds as thought they were dragged kicking and screaming in to brewing a "craft beer"
Well the markets grown by 18%..... We better put something out!

There has been some subtle re-branding of Tohheys Old..

It has been seen as Tooheys Old Dark Ale..

Now I wonder why the added the "Darke Ale" bit......its not like there is Coopers Dark Ale out there on Tap

Latest posts

Back