Tooheys Pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saves me the pain.
Was told $22 for a six pack of sheaf, but $16 for three long necks.
Of course I went the long necks.
Wife's asleep, on the gin and peach ice tea cordial and mineral waters now.......

yes it's on tap at the golfy I had a schooy and was less than impressed slightly malty and fairly bland would be my description
drinkable but someone else would be paying

The real deal is actually worse than I expected.

No fizz, no smell.......Taste's like a New with the sugar replaced with grain....its a bit maltier and tastes the same with a small amount of probably galaxy and summer/something equally low alpha waved somewhere in the vicinity of the boil kettle.
Not terrible but not much better.

Crap name....crap drink.
Will probably achieve exactly what they intend it to do.......convince the vast majority of swill drinkers that craft beer is really just marketing and isn't any better than the beautiful drop they drink by the gallon normally.
Much more dollars have gone into marketing than product creation.
Same as the Old rebranding....marketing bullshit aimed at ( perceived ) brain dead consumers....**** you Lion.....

Full credit to them that they are still using original Tooheys bottles and sticking to 375ml. I'm hating the 33cl 'revolution'.
I will try it if I come across it and approach it with a null hypothesis. New is a beer that I really don't enjoy but I'm fond of one or two of the other mainstream lagers. Haters be damned.

How else are they going Tooheys swill drinkers to go for an Ale.....None of them would touch a Coopers Pale Ale....

Its not like Toohey's Pale Ale is a gimmick.... I mean really....

Im not a swill drinker at all and im not a light beer drinker. But i dont mind a tooheys blue can when i visit my old man. Its actually a nice beer. Don't care what any one says. Dad reckons there hard to get to a bit pricier. Ill give this pale ale a sample when i come across it and make up my own mind but not holding my breath. Hard to beat coopers pale Ale at 45 a slab.

Hellooo hangover, I used to drink Tooheys extra dry a fair bit but kept getting radical headaches the next morning. Had to give it a rest-haven't had more than one at a time for years.

Benn said:
Hellooo hangover, I used to drink Tooheys extra dry a fair bit but kept getting radical headaches the next morning. Had to give it a rest-haven't had more than one at a time for years.
VB and New both give me banging hangovers. Coopers.....apart from being a bit lethargic, not a problem after a big session.

Interestingly, Tooheys Old doesnt give me much of a hangover....

Ducatiboy stu said:
There has been some subtle re-branding of Tohheys Old..

It has been seen as Tooheys Old Dark Ale..[/s]
They are calling it an Ale, both the pale and old, but from what I understand old is a lager. Do we know if the pale is an actual ale?

Fylp said:
They are calling it an Ale, both the pale and old, but from what I understand old is a lager. Do we know if the pale is an actual ale?
I think Old is actually an ale

Had one last night,
non challenging is exactly the word, light on the malt but clean crisp, and the hop flavour and aroma was surprisinlg present. so was it out and out shit, like we expect. well no.
it was simple but fine, and sadly reminded me more of fat yak than anything, which probably points to how bland i find fat yak. but i digress.

points for trying, but I doubt it will take off

Give it another 5 years and they may try to cash in on this new fandangled IPA craze too :rolleyes:

Seeing as Lion already owns James Squire, why the need for an ale?
My guess is so the 'Tooheys Die Hards' that wont touch any other 'brand' can get their hipster on and be pretend to beer snobs too.

Now they'll have 4 beers to choose from. One for EVERY occasion
New at the RSL. Bog standard.
Tooheys Pale Ale to impress the inlaws at the family BBQ
Extra Dry for when he wants a Euro style crisp lager to impress mates on the fishing trip
And Old for St Patricks Day.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I think Old is actually an ale
Was a few years back Stu, not anymore (or so I'm told).

if they taste ok with some hop flavour and they put it in a dirty thirty can pack at the same price as new id certainly give it a crack as a regular swill in between home brews.

but Im guessing it will be at a premium price of which there are far better offerings,

GABBA110360 said:
WELL I SUPPOSE UNTIL YOU DRINK IT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW it's all in the palate of who ever drinks it .
I have not even seen it let alone tasted it so the jury is out I reckon
they might reckon what you brew is shit
Thats true. But don't forget, we're talking about a company who described this product as 'full flavored'.

1985+Doug+Walters+Tooheys+Lite.jpg

Back