Tooheys New All grain recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did not even bother to read other replies, though recipe sounds fine.

Here is my advice on outlaws who bring their own beer when they know you proudly brew your own from scratch:

"I have a pair of workboots and two pairs of motorcycle boots all with steel caps, drink whatever beer I serve you or you wont live to see your Grandchildren."

Cause I'll kick your ead in!

Then I'll do a burnout on you corpse with my Chevy Corvette you weak C#nt!

I could go further...

Edit: added about head kicking.

All your replies have all been outstanding this morning.

Kudos J&B :)

I'm stunned at the lack of urine references. You've changed AHB.

Believe it or not I love XXXX Bitter but find New awful. I'm a native NSWelshman too. My brother is a devout New drinker, and said he couldn't stand pale ales and didn't like pilsners. He's THE type of person that keep the big brewers going.

I put together a XXXX Bitter clone at a little over 5% (my first lager) and out of the bottle, he said "this is better than New". My proudest moment in brewing. I suppose what I'm saying is that even if he only drinks New you might be able to make something that tailers to a New drinker's tastes. Basic grain bill was -
  • 5kg pils
  • 200g crystal
  • 350g raw sugaz
  • 2042 at 13°C, with diacetyl rest starting at about 1.020
  • 35g cluster flowers (AA 4.1%) at 60 mins
  • OG 1.048, FG 1.010
  • 60 mins 63°C, 72° for 10, then mash out
If you want to New-a-rise it sub the cluster for PoR, but personally I much prefer cluster.
I've got this is in ther fermenting freezer doing its 4°C rest for a week and this is in week 4. I typically keg at week 5 or 6, and don't drink 'til week 8.
I love it.

If you really want to make a 'clone' I think you'll struggle, as is the nature of cloning the mega brewery's beers. They have their own yeasts, big fermenters, probably a proprietry malt etc. etc. so the best I think you can do is to get close.

There are far better beers to brew than a Tooheys New clone. FFS thought this site was for beer lovers, not cats piss drinkers. (shudder)

Sambrew said:
There are far better beers to brew than a Tooheys New clone. FFS thought this site was for beer lovers, not cats piss drinkers. (shudder)
If you read the original post you will see that the beer is not for themselves and is intended for his old man.

My father in law is not a big drinker but likes a schooey of New when out. He has tasted beers I've brewed from blondes to IPA's and every time he says "It tastes like New". Now smoking since you were 14 doesn't do good things to your palate but still......

Recently brewed a very nice Premium Aussie lager that at least is in the ballpark of New (although without Megaswill funk) and guess what he said? "Tastes a bit like New" and I said "I agree!"

PS. Follow BribieG's advice. The man did very well at the Nat's with his Aussie lager last year

Tooheys do I believe use Super Prides, about 30% sugar as a fraction of OG, mashed hot (vague memory if it being 4-5 steps) starting around 70oC
The grain bill is basically all Joe White Pilsner with just a touch of something for colour (I suspect its Caramel)
Would think seriously of using Mauri 497Y, pitch a shed load at around 8oC and let it rise to 12-ish after a couple of days, brewed roughly 1/3 over gravity and diluted after fermentation.

I may think they have their taste buds in there arses, but they are very good at doing something very difficult, there isn't much room in mega-swill to hide any mistakes, so think carefully and do invest in a lot of Lager yeast if you want to get anywhere near the commercial version.
Mark

Sambrew said:
Did you even read the original Post before you made that retarded post or did you just want to tell people you don't like that style of beer?

hey seato dont forget to sub out some grain for sugar like the big aussie breweries do or just make that recipe i sent you but scale it up to your setup..... ive had a few people tell me that they thought it was a comercial beer they where drinking..... if my old man liked it and thought the TED was the homebrew in a blind taste test then i think your old man will enjoy it

Thanks for all the info. Lots of excellent tips.

Using dextrose is going to make part of me die inside, but I started this and I'm not quitting now.

Attached is my revised recipe. I'll make 40 litres and this raise the volume to 50 prior to pitching the yeast.

Mark, I will try and find that lager yeast, but if not I'm going back to W34/70

Bribe, I've added 30grams of roasted barley since I'm doing a double

I've put in 25% dextrose.

Have a look at the brew mate recipe.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

Seato

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414182424.610423.jpg

TheWiggman said:
Any feedback from the brewery Klangers?
Sorry guys I couldn't track down one of the guys I know there. I'm out there reasonably regularly so I can try again next time.

From what I know already, Seato - your latest recipe is looking close.

Bear in mind they add all sorts of enzymes as well - but this is more related to extract efficiency than flavour.

your bitterness may ?? be a little high.

I've tasted 1 4kg pils 400g sugur, POR 22ibu at 60 and that was "fine" as an aussie lager

yeah drop the ibu down around to around 17 IBU that will get you in the aussie lager range... i know its hard to imagine a beer with that small amount of ibu being drinkable but if u make it too bitter your old man might not like it

Sambrew said:
These kinds of responses are what pisses me off about this site. The guy asked a legitimate question, if you don't have anything constructive to add, then don't bother. Kudos to everyone else that has contributed thus far, the lack of smart arse responses is great to see.

Tasted an aussie lager at the last meeting (which was also my frst meeting). It tasted bang on for a commercial beer (and everyone else in the group thought it was a commercial brew snuck in). The brewer of it was sitting at our table and afterwards told us he'd made it with 4kg pale, 1k sugar and fermented with s23 at 19C Cant remember the Ibus but it POR @ 60 and low (17 maybe). He was trying to make a tooheys extra dry clone i think.

It was a great aussie lager. Scored 46 points out of 50.
Well brewed Westo.

S23 at 19c?? Wow. Just got a lager crashing that used S23 and it fully attenuated in 7 days at 12c.

Back